ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night Game at Home

I thought a lot about this Friday game and slept on it before I decided good/bad one way or the other.

I still can't decide. It is better for me logistically since I'm traveling very early Sunday morning. But I also believe NU is selling it's soul sort of by bending the knee to stuff like this.

If all involved with the team puts their heads down, give maximum effort in everything, lose the "waiting for the other shoe to drop" that kills us in close games, and hold onto the damn ball; then we may end up in Indy or even a playoff spot, and the September Friday game will be forgotten. But....if we have another crappy, losing season with no bowl, the Friday game will be remembered as just another insult to a once proud program.

Reactions: king_kong_
Give me a break. Half the school isn't doing any class work on game day whether the game is at 4 pm or 7pm. This really isn't a big deal. It isn't like the whole season is ruined.
I guess to be clear I am referring to high school

Most teams don’t get a bye week, and the schedules are made in February…and that’s only every two years.
With week 0, technically every one does. Yes the schedule is a two year deal for rotation of home games. But I don't think it would be that hard to coordinate it if N is being forced to play Friday home game on off year of black Friday. B1g could get their act together a little earlier and nsaa could wait a little bit. If their's a will there's a way. Also if they don't want to cooperate they won't. It can be done imo

Reactions: saluno22
I thought a lot about this Friday game and slept on it before I decided good/bad one way or the other.

I still can't decide. It is better for me logistically since I'm traveling very early Sunday morning. But I also believe NU is selling it's soul sort of by bending the knee to stuff like this.

If all involved with the team puts their heads down, give maximum effort in everything, lose the "waiting for the other shoe to drop" that kills us in close games, and hold onto the damn ball; then we may end up in Indy or even a playoff spot, and the September Friday game will be forgotten. But....if we have another crappy, losing season with no bowl, the Friday game will be remembered as just another insult to a once proud program.
It's not an insult. If anything it helps us. We play an FCS team the week before. Illinois gets to travel on a short week and play in a rowdy night environment. As opposed to an extra day of rest and a boring mid-day game.

Perfect timing for a Friday game because we then get an extra day before Purdue. Our schedule this year is setup perfectly to actually have a good season for once. This only helps.

I do think Lincoln will really embrace this.

Bars will open early, tailgate lots open early, UNL will cancel classes which means Thursday night will be a party and all day Friday will be too.

I memory serves me correct, 2 or 3 teams never have to play Friday games. Thinking Michigan and Ohio State and one other

we went 1-1 on Friday last year

won on the road, got beat at home

mostly because of who was playing QB

Ok like I said then fine. NSAA Should have enough notice to give the whole state a bye on that Friday
Maybe an option for matchups between teams not playing a Week 0 game to move their Sep 20 game to Week 0 if mutually agreed?

Sorry if someone else has said this as I haven't read all the posts yet.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Ok its all good then.
man it has gotten low in husker fandom.
We’re celebrating checks we’ll never see and havent benefitted from and piggy-back celebrating 1 conference NC over the past 18? years.

I dont blame you there isnt much else to celebrate when we’re this bad and playing on friday night. But we as fans should make it clear this is not ok.
+++ To add, it's fans who are paying for those checks. We celebrate the big media deals, but those dollars come from somewhere.

Yes. They all get a bye week sometime
Everyone can’t have the same bye week JFC.. now that being said I believe schools will try to move the games on Sept 20th to Thursday or Saturday depending on field and Official availability. But the NSAA won’t be involved.

I memory serves me correct, 2 or 3 teams never have to play Friday games. Thinking Michigan and Ohio State and one other
FOX confirmed that Ohio State will be one of six Big Ten teams that will not play one of nine conference games on a Friday night between September and November. Ohio State joins Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Penn State and Wisconsin as teams that will not play on a Friday night.

friday night brings great exposure. the downside is whatever negative impact it has on in-state high school games and recruiting. everyone will be watching N. the same for k-state/uofa which opens the friday window on fox. all measured, i like it. another night of quality football.

I don’t think it will be that much of an issue for the high schools to have Nebraska play on Friday night at home. I’d rather go to a high school game. Level of game execution is better than what the Huskers have displayed for years now. How much does it mean to you as an individual?
Then go and while your at it, move to their football forum. I'm sure you'll be much happier!

Reactions: Walleye79
Everyone can’t have the same bye week JFC.. now that being said I believe schools will try to move the games on Sept 20th to Thursday or Saturday depending on field and Official availability. But the NSAA won’t be involved.
why couldn't they? I agree it won't happen. But why couldn't everyone play week 0 and then take bye week on the 20th? I agree with what someone posted about high schools might move games to thursday of saturday. Saturday would be the best unless they didn't have to travel far.

Then go and while you’re at it, move to their football forum. I'm sure you'll be much happier!
You should accept reality. The delusion you posses will clear. Why does it bother you if people will go to High school games that night and not watch Nebraska? Oh no memorial stadium might have 60,000 in attendance instead of 65,000 like last year?

You should accept reality. The delusion you posses will clear. Why does it bother you if people will go to High school games that night and not watch Nebraska? Oh no memorial stadium might have 60,000 in attendance instead of 65,000 like last year?
👎

Memorial Stadium will be full and it will be rocking. Should be great weather for a night game.

Memorial Stadium will be full and it will be rocking. Should be great weather for a night game.
Then what is people’s issue? If it’s going to improve atmosphere and attendance then do it!!! On the other hand if you wish to go to HS game, do that.

it's another long standing Nebraska Football tradition out the window.

and that list continues to grow.

tradition is important to some people.
And as referenced above, 6 teams refuse to play friday games this year. Now I'll admit I didn't look to see if they EVER did in the past. But those teams have definitely been better than N in recent years so I guess that's on us. But Eichorst caved to this and the Moos said hell no and Trev continued that. Here's an outsider...Dannen....that I'm guessing doesn't understand/get Nebraska. But I'm sure he's just looking at the numbers and he's $ driven.

Can't wait until we're kicking the crap out of people in the b1g and we can dictate things again. We never have in this conference yet.

Reactions: king_kong_
And as referenced above, 6 teams refuse to play friday games this year. Now I'll admit I didn't look to see if they EVER did in the past. But those teams have definitely been better than N in recent years so I guess that's on us. But Eichorst caved to this and the Moos said hell no and Trev continued that. Here's an outsider...Dannen....that I'm guessing doesn't understand/get Nebraska. But I'm sure he's just looking at the numbers and he's $ driven.

Can't wait until we're kicking the crap out of people in the b1g and we can dictate things again. We never have in this conference yet.
The only ones that refused to play is OSU,Michigan and PSU. They did that right from the get go whe Friday night game started. All the others have played Friday night games. Mitch Sherman basically said it was out of Nebraskas hands. All of our road games this year except Iowa are HC for the teams . They won’t make a team play on Friday for HC week.

it's another long standing Nebraska Football tradition out the window.

and that list continues to grow.

tradition is important to some people.
What I really enjoyed was the tradition of winning, and this game time actually increases our odds of doing that. IMO.

I think we have a great schedule this year for turning the corner. Home opener against a cupcake. Perfectly placed byes. Winnable conference opener at home. Now add a short week for our opponent who has to travel, while we come off 3 straight home games, with the last against an FCS opponent.

What I really enjoyed was the tradition of winning, and this game time actually increases our odds of doing that. IMO.

I think we have a great schedule this year for turning the corner. Home opener against a cupcake. Perfectly placed byes. Winnable conference opener at home. Now add a short week for our opponent who has to travel, while we come off 3 straight home games, with the last against an FCS opponent.
a gimmick to beat some shit conf foe?

yippee

Reactions: Landomatic
No one seemed to care when we were given shit schedules or had to deal with questionable officiating.
this makes no sense.

literally everyone cared and continues to care immensely about both of these topics.

Change is the enemy of tradition. With the seismic (some might say apocalyptic) changes happening in college sports, it seems strange to champion the change while lamenting the loss of tradition.

My hope at this point is that stability will return eventually, the dust will settle, and new traditions may be built. But the old ways are gone for good.

this makes no sense.

literally everyone cared and continues to care immensely about both of these topics.
I should have been more clear. No one outside of us. My point is, did Minnesota care that they beat a team with a first year coach opening against a conference opponent on the road? No. Same for all the other disadvantages we had in scheduling. So I will gladly take it when we get an advantage for once.

I should have been more clear. No one outside of us. My point is, did Minnesota care that they beat a team with a first year coach opening against a conference opponent on the road? No. Same for all the other disadvantages we had in scheduling. So I will gladly take it when we get an advantage for once.
When’s the last time we won a home night game against a conference foe?

Last edited:
Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

No idea. Are you implying we are at a disadvantage playing a Friday night home game vs. a Saturday mid-afternoon home game? If we let Illinois choose I bet they would easily choose Saturday.

No idea. Are you implying we are at a disadvantage playing a Friday night home game vs. a Saturday mid-afternoon home game? If we let Illinois choose I bet they would easily choose Saturday.
I am stating - quite clearly - the advantage may not be as stark as you believe.

And certainly not worth eschewing a century of proud tradition in our state, one of the few left with communities that rally around their high school teams each and every Friday night before doing the same for the Huskers on Saturday.

I am stating - quite clearly - the advantage may not be as stark as you believe.

And certainly not worth eschewing a century of proud tradition in our state, one of the few left with communities that rally around their high school teams each and every Friday night before doing the same for the Huskers on Saturday.
Lincoln Southeast was already scheduled to play Norfolk the Thursday night before. Grand Island plays East the week before on Thursday. I assume there are others. I'm not sure this is quite the tradition people are making it out to be. I have had to record Husker games because of youth sports before. I've been conflicted on what to do on the pheasant opener when the Huskers play at 11. Everyone will be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT