ADVERTISEMENT

Former Iowa player Tyler Sash had stage 2 CTE at 27 yrs old

not news the league, or anyone for that matter, wants to hear...

Yep. Depending on the position and how his coaches ran practice going back maybe all the way to peewee ball, there's a TON of skull smashing that goes on. I remember in freshman football they had us just pair off, run down the white line and hit each other. Not tackling, not blocking, just stand on that line and when we blow the whistle go hit each other.

Last edited:
He played FB for 16 years .Two happened in HS one at Iowa two more with Giants but the point is they think all those non concussion hits contribute to this .This is not going away .We all knew with all the old NFL vets they had physical problems from the game but this could put the game as we know it at a different level. The next time you see those crushing helmet to helmet collisions remember what this kid might face in the future.

Sad as this is. Taking away football will be detrimental in a lot of different ways.

Sad to hear. A very good friend of mine of 35 years befriended Tyler and they had a business together, he's been crushed since the death.

Reactions: sparky62
It's not just football, but football may play a bigger role. I've had at least 5 concussions and 2 of them were in the last 11 months. When I got the last one I fell 4' and landed on my head on the concrete. Don't remember hardly anything for 36 hours, but somehow I hooked up the 5th wheel & drove 70 miles down the interstate. My wife made me pull over when I started swerving all over the Interstate and all of a sudden I couldn't see anymore. My BP 190/126, 5 hours after I fell. Then I threw up for 2 hours. I've now been put on BP meds. I had a headache for 6 weeks along with short term memory loss.

My point being, it's not just athletes that get concussions. Watch you kids, spouses, friends and family members whenever they have head trauma. It's a serious beast.

Reactions: resdog851 and tpmcg
It's not just football, but football may play a bigger role. I've had at least 5 concussions and 2 of them were in the last 11 months. When I got the last one I fell 4' and landed on my head on the concrete. Don't remember hardly anything for 36 hours, but somehow I hooked up the 5th wheel & drove 70 miles down the interstate. My wife made me pull over when I started swerving all over the Interstate and all of a sudden I couldn't see anymore. My BP 190/126, 5 hours after I fell. Then I threw up for 2 hours. I've now been put on BP meds. I had a headache for 6 weeks along with short term memory loss.

My point being, it's not just athletes that get concussions. Watch you kids, spouses, friends and family members whenever they have head trauma. It's a serious beast.

Great advice and hope you are 100 percent. On a sidenote and because we are close I feel I can say this to you..... Now I understand the old mil lite desires.

FB was on the edge of extinction in the early 1900's when their were deaths because of the flying wedge and no protection.

Football shouldn't change. People should just decide if they want to participate or not with the info given.

Reactions: Qued18
Great advice and hope you are 100 percent. On a sidenote and because we are close I feel I can say this to you..... Now I understand the old mil lite desires.

I thought Sparky was brain damaged the first time I tailgated with him.

i wonder if soccer eventually replaces it altogether

We better hope football doesn't go away for the sake of our state and university.

I think there's too much money and tradition involved for football to go away altogether. But I do think it will gradually become a non-contact sport. The players will wear hi-tech equipment with sensors or something that detect when they are touched with 2 hands.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT