ADVERTISEMENT

FIU vs. UTEP

Husker.Wed.

Athletic Director
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
Holy Moly, the UTEP QB McConnel is dropping 30-50 yard dimes at will. He is a RS Soph. Is 5/5 for 175 and 2 TDs in the first quarter.

Holy Moly, the UTEP QB McConnel is dropping 30-50 yard dimes at will. He is a RS Soph. Is 5/5 for 175 and 2 TDs in the first quarter.
Not sure where that kid went to high school but Texas is full of high school QBs that can pass. Not all of them are going to be 6’ plus though and run 4.4. IMO we’ve gone after pie in the sky kids and have ended up with too many plan C kids.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
Los Alamitos HS in Los Angeles. No stars, no offers except for UTEP.

It always amazes me that Nebraska cannot seem to recruit a QB who can complete a forward pass even though there are hundreds of them available from high schools every year.

It is almost as if when we get decent QB recruits here "the curse" causes them to forget how to run an offense and pass the ball.

It always amazes me that Nebraska cannot seem to recruit a QB who can complete a forward pass even though there are hundreds of them available from high schools every year.

It is almost as if when we get decent QB recruits here "the curse" causes them to forget how to run an offense and pass the ball.
It is strange, isn’t it? Kind of like how we only find the big fat guys that can’t block at all.

Reactions: SomedayHusker

I’ve said for years that recruiting QBs is a crap shoot. That said it seems like TO always landed one of the top dual threat guys in the country every couple of years and they worked out for the most part. Some of that was the way we “developed” O linemen over 2-3 years in the program. Frazier was only an adequate passer. Gill was a pretty good passer but actually pretty short. They’re two of our best ever pure QBs. Then there’s a whole list of guys who won 9-10 games.

There are a lot of really good quarterbacks out there. Sadly, we have not had a single one since Zac Taylor left. So sick and tired of recruiting QB's who fit the zone read offense who are running backs playing QB. I want a QB who can throw the damn ball and yet has some ability to scramble and doesn't have feet of lead.
Feet of lead... sounds like you just described Zac Taylor.

There are a lot of really good quarterbacks out there. Sadly, we have not had a single one since Zac Taylor left. So sick and tired of recruiting QB's who fit the zone read offense who are running backs playing QB. I want a QB who can throw the damn ball and yet has some ability to scramble and doesn't have feet of lead.
I guess I see this as just the opposite. There aren't "hundreds" of good QB's out there. How many D1 teams are in need of a QB upgrade besides the Huskers? The B1G certainly is not a premier QB league by any stretch of the imagination but how many teams would welcome a better option?

Running the zone read and being able to run is used as an offset to throwing the ball. I have seen kids in HS who could really sling the ball but you put them in a major program where you have to read the D and look off a safety and make line calls it is simply not that easy to do.

Even Bama is struggling with QB play. Saban has come out strongly against playing true freshman at QB as they can get destroyed physically, mentally and emotionally back there and never be the same.

Your wish for a QB that can sling it may never happen, look at what we have right now - using their legs is key to their success, as it is with a lot of QB's from the HS ranks.

I guess I see this as just the opposite. There aren't "hundreds" of good QB's out there. How many D1 teams are in need of a QB upgrade besides the Huskers? The B1G certainly is not a premier QB league by any stretch of the imagination but how many teams would welcome a better option?

Running the zone read and being able to run is used as an offset to throwing the ball. I have seen kids in HS who could really sling the ball but you put them in a major program where you have to read the D and look off a safety and make line calls it is simply not that easy to do.

Even Bama is struggling with QB play. Saban has come out strongly against playing true freshman at QB as they can get destroyed physically, mentally and emotionally back there and never be the same.

Your wish for a QB that can sling it may never happen, look at what we have right now - using their legs is key to their success, as it is with a lot of QB's from the HS ranks.
100% agreed.

at this point, I think 10 or 11 of 14 B1G teams are in the same boat as us, and in many cases are worse off than us at quarterback

Last edited:

Good points.

Reactions: king_kong_
I agree.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT