ADVERTISEMENT

First Husker Memory?

1989 - We lived in Colorado and went to the game. We lost, but I just remember how shitty the people were to all of the NU fans.

On the reverse, the first game I truly remember was the 1992 Colorado game on Halloween. Awesome experience. Drove in from Colorado Springs and Calvin Jones was my favorite player for a long time.

Will Shields on the fumbleroosky that night.

Mine is Roy Helu's 310 yard, 3 touchdown preformance vs Missouri. Absolute beast he was.

1970 All American show (AP or UPI) on ABC in December. Jerry Murtaugh and Bob Newton were All Americans. Those were football player sounding names. So I watch them beat LSU in Orange Bowl to win their first National Championship.

Johnny Rodgers punt return against Oklahoma 1971. The next year my dad took me to Lawrence for the Ku Vs Nebr. Highlight was a huge sheet 15th wide hanging out of 2 dorm window stretching across. On it Said ROSES ARE RED. VIOLETS ARE BLUE LETS HOLD NEBRASKA TO 52. Nebr. Won 56-0

As an eight-year-old I vaguely remember the 1963 Orange Bowl victory against Auburn. Watched a few minutes of the game in the dining room of the old Blackstone Hotel in Omaha

I made my Memorial Stadium debut in 1964 when Nebraska defeated South Carolina, with its star running back Dan Reeves. Still have the program!

Reactions: scarletred
Mine is Roy Helu's 310 yard, 3 touchdown preformance vs Missouri. Absolute beast he was.

My memories are when my father was stationed at Langley AFB around 68 or 69. I recall that we were going out as a family but couldn't leave until my Dad had heard the score of the Nebraska game from Dave Diles on the Prudential College Football Scoreboard Show.

Reactions: saluno22
As an eight-year-old I vaguely remember the 1963 Orange Bowl victory against Auburn. Watched a few minutes of the game in the dining room of the old Blackstone Hotel in Omaha

I made my Memorial Stadium debut in 1964 when Nebraska defeated South Carolina, with its star running back Dan Reeves. Still have the program!

My Husker debut was in 1968 against Dan Devine’s Mizzou team who ended up beating Nebraska 16-14..

SF dad Larry played in that game..

My memories are when my father was stationed at Langley AFB around 68 or 69. I recall that we were going out as a family but couldn't leave until my Dad had heard the score of the Nebraska game from Dave Diles on the Prudential College Football Scoreboard Show.
Wow Dave Diles and prudential college football scoreboard brings back memories. I forgot all about him. What about firemen’s fund flashback? I remember that also

First Memory -- Watching the 1962 Gotham Bowl on a fuzzy black and white TV, only to realize that it was snow, not the TV.

First Live Game -- October 30, 1971 vs. Colorado. Watched the Huskers dismantle Cliff Branch and the No. 9 Buffies 31-7.

Second Live Game -- The next week, I saw the NU destroy Iowa State 37-0. Johnny Rodgers returned a punt to score as two ISU defenders ran into each other at the 10-yd line.

A week before the Game of the Century, had a beer or two with an offensive lineman.

Wow, some of you are as old as me!
Mine was magical. January 1, 1966, I was 9 years old, a month away from 10, growing up in Omaha. Nebraska vs. Alabama in the Orange Bowl with a national title possible. I was just starting to get into football, so i sat down with my dad to watch the game on our little black and white TV. Every time the announcers said "Nebraska" I felt like they were talking to me. It made me feel like part of it. We lost something like 36-28 but played well. My home state team became my team forever that day and quarterback Bob Churchich became my hero. No matter where I've lived since or how long I've been away, Nebraska is home and the Cornhuskers are my guys. Maybe it's hokey, but I don't care.

Attended my first game in November 1966 when I was ten years old after having some major surgery. I went with my mom and sat in seats owned by the Storz family (if you're from Omaha you know who they are). As it was my photo was in the paper the next morning as we were sitting behind Governor Norbert Tiemann and you can see me directly behind him. I can remember when Lyell Bremser and Don Cole did the Husker games on KFAB, and in fact they even alternated calling each quarter of the game.

My uncle took me to my first husker game. It was vs Kansas when they had John riggens. The first thing I remember is that the ticket was $5.00 so I was shocked how much they cost. Riggens ran wild on them and Kansas won.

My uncle took me to my first husker game. It was vs Kansas when they had John riggens. The first thing I remember is that the ticket was $5.00 so I was shocked how much they cost. Riggens ran wild on them and Kansas won.

KU won in 1967 and 1968 and Riggins played in the 68 game in Lawrence and the 69 game in Lincoln.

Wow Dave Diles and prudential college football scoreboard brings back memories. I forgot all about him. What about firemen’s fund flashback? I remember that also

I remember the Prudential College Football Scoreboard show and Fireman"s Fund Flashback. That got me thinking about some of the other shows that were on in the 70's and 80's like the Bob Devaney Prediction Show on Friday nights. I never missed that. Also, ABC had a college football highlight show on Sunday's hosted by Bill Fleming. Then NET had the Cornhusker Football Show with Don Gill. That show had a Nebraska coach, usually Lance Van Zant and later John Melton and also a couple players every week. That show would air the film of the entire game. Good times. Good times.

In the late 60s my first Nebraska- Oklahoma game. Field was grass and I never seen anything so cool. Unfortunately we lost. And yes I am old.

Reactions: 9and4
Mine was as a 5 year old. My dad yelled at the tv as we got stomped by Colorado. 3 years later I went to my first game... 2004 southern miss... after the game a freshman named Brandon Jackson was walking by himself next to the stadium and talked to us for a bit. When the conversation was ending he look at me and gave me his game wrist sweatband

As far as actually watching an entire game it was 1976 Blue Bonnet Bowl vs Texas Tech.

Although I do remember watching bits and pieces of the 1975 Sun Bowl, but vaguely.

I do recall listening to numerous games on the radio from '74-'76.
This is almost exactly my same experience. I remember bits and pieces of things but that Blue Bonnet bowl is the first game I remember almost entirely. Parents went out that night so we had a babysitter.

The 1966 game at Wisconsin. We lived in Milwaukee at the time Wisconsin was pretty bad and the thing I remember the most was a dog getting on the field and running toward the Wisconsin end zone. The crowd begin cheering for the dog to "score". He got to around the 15 yard line, obviously terrified by the noise, and then turned and began running the other way. The crowd booed even louder and the dog once again turned around and ran into the Wisconsin end zone. That resulted in the loudest cheers of the day. NU won 31-3, IIRC.

Memory: Thanksgiving 1968 on the farm outside Verdon. Oklahoma 47, Nebraska 0 on national TV. The theme? "FIRE DEVANEY!"

Live: Second half of 1971 opener versus Oregon. Sneaked in at halftime with my dad. NU 34, Ducks 7. The theme? "DEVANEY FOR PRESIDENT!"

Full Live Game: 1974 versus Missouri. Tigers 21, NU 10. The theme? "THAT OSBORNE. HE'S NO DEVANEY!"

Last edited:
Memory: Thanksgiving 1968 on the farm outside Verdon. Oklahoma 47, Nebraska 0 on national TV. The theme? "FIRE DEVANEY!"

Live: Second half of 1971 opener versus Oregon. Sneaked in at halftime with my dad. NU 34, Ducks 7. The theme? "DEVANEY FOR PRESIDENT!"

Full Live Game: 1974 versus Missouri. Tigers 21, NU 10. The theme? "THAT OSBORNE. HE'S NO DEVANEY!"

About time you contributed to this thread.. Now I’m waiting on Pennsy to make his blood line on this post..Winking

Reactions: 9and4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT