ADVERTISEMENT

FILM ROOM: Utilization of a playmaking WR

ButchCassidy85

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2004
Omaha, NE
Still working through as much OSU film as possible (2013 and earlier from when Langsdorf was still with Riley) to get a better idea of some of the formations and things they did to get their playmakers the ball. Lately I've been focusing on WR Brandin Cooks since there is no doubt he was THE guy on that 2013 team and because he has a lot of similarities to a player like DPE (and even Irons).

Refresher on Cooks; he played 3 seasons and declared early for the NFL draft. He was selected in the 1st Round (20th overall) by the Saints. His stat line from his Jr season was: 128 rec for 1730 yds (13.5 avg) 16 TD's, 32 rushes for 217 yds (6.8 avg) 2 TD's. For comparisons sake, all WR's at NU had 5 rushing attempts in 2014 - Cooks alone had 32 in rushes in 2013 (which isn't that large/uncommon of a number for WR's in the Riley/Langsdorf offense).

Note: This is a thread intended to familiarize RSS with some formations, plays and tendencies that Riley and Langsdorf had in utilizing their best playmakers. It is not meant to create or promote a message that DPE or Irons is going to have a record setting statistical season this year or that NU is going to be some top ranked offense in the nation. Save the "pump the brakes" comments. Not trying to hype anything.

Anyway, here are 5 plays that I found interesting to look at since based on NU's personnel, and what we've read in some practice reports, they are formations/plays that I could see them employing in 2015. The first pic of each play is just a screen grab prior to the snap and the 2nd is a (very basic) "telestrator" break down of the action. The highlights referenced in this thread are linked HERE if you are interested in viewing further.

PLAY #1
Situation: 11 personnel 1st&10 Own 25 yd line (first offensive play of 2nd half - up 17-3 against CU) RESULT: 32 yd gain (1:28 mark of highlight)

This is a play that you can find throughout older OSU highlight packages and it's very similar to Play #2 as well. It seems to be their basic jet sweep and you can see them run variations of it all the way back through the Rodgers brothers. I really like watching this play because the Mike LB eventually reads sweep and the Sam LB reads the RB and they end up running into one another as they try to go opposite directions. It made me feel better about NU's Wisconsin film until I remembered that this is lowly CU that I'm comparing the Huskers too.

a_zpsn6pd0lpm.jpg

PLAY #2
Situation: 11 personnel 1st&10 Own 39 yd line (12:00 min left 3rd qtr - down 24-10 against USC) RESULT: 30 yd gain (3:35 mark of highlight)

Again, similar to Play #1 but I watched this one over a few times because both LB's read the RB and were WAY late on recognizing the hand-off to Cooks. It's worth pointing out at this point that in ANY historic highlights you watch that OSU teams are very good and very consistent at carrying out their play fakes. Very good coaching in this regard.

b_zpszg9mckha.jpg

PLAY #3
Situation: 21 personnel 1st&goal from 8yd line (1st play of 4th qtr - tied 24-24 against WSU) RESULT: 8 yd TD (1:57 mark of highlight)

Similar to Plays #1 and 2 only run from a different personnel grouping. I'm actually surprised at how effective this play ended up being since it was a pretty straight-up blocking scheme. WSU really reminded me of some of NU's efforts against Wisconsin with their defense of this play.

c_zpsjtlwynnl.jpg

PLAY #4
Situation: Shotgun spread 1st&10 Opp 31 yd line (14:15 left 4th qtr - up 31-24 against WSU) RESULT: 30 yd gain (2:07 mark of highlight)

I'm really looking forward to see what Riley/Langsdorf do with the screen game not only for WR's like DPE but with the TE's and RB's as well. It's such a simple play design where the right athlete with only one or two good blocks can go a LONG way.

d_zpsrgsfobl6.jpg

PLAY #5
Situation: Spread personnel pkg lined up as 11 personnel? (Don't know if they actually shifted into this "bunch" type formation from a more traditional spread look) 4th&2 Opp 14 yd line (8:41 remaining 2nd qtr - up 14-3 Against Cal) RESULT: 14 yd TD (3:00 mark of highlight)

Very interesting play call relative to the down, distance, score and clock. There may be an unknown factor involved but I'd think most coaches would opt for the FG and 3 pts at this point of the game to expand to a full two TD lead. Regardless, gutsy call either way running a reverse in this situation. I really like the formation and flow of this play however. Interesting design and the entire premise seems to be a belief that their speed to the outside was decisive enough to make this a viable play. Apparently, they were right as Cooks was never touched.

f_zpsqhswvqjh.jpg

Final comment/observation: These coaches have done a lot at OSU that gets them recognized for "developing talent" and getting skill players to the next level. There can't be much doubt about that. However, when you watch a bunch of their film you notice a few things that happen over and over and over again. First, the players carry out their play fakes. They don't half-ass it or take plays off. For a talent like Brandin Cooks (or DPE), if a good play fake holds the LB's and safeties for an additional 2 or 3 tenths of a second, what does that mean to the results of the play?

Second, and maybe the most important, watch the film and look at the downfield blocking. Seriously. Their WR's rival what we take pride in the NU receivers doing downfield and the TE's and OL do a much better job in general that what we've seen over the last decade at NU (in my opinion). I really like what Cav seems to get out of his 2 and 3 star o-linemen in this regard. Really impressed not only with how fast they get to the 2nd level but how effective they are working on downfield. They aren't just a moving shield, they actually do a good job of engaging/cutting-off smaller DB's.

All in all, without knowing exactly how the "base" offense comes together for this first season relative to how they view their new personnel and the new conference competition, I think that variations of plays like the ones shown above will still be pretty prominant in what Riley/Langsdorf choose to do.

If the current roster of players can come together quickly within this new offense, I think it will be an exciting one to watch. Anytime you can get the ball in the hands of guys like DPE in space, you're going to win just about any battle with a defense the vast majority of the time.

I look forward to seing it play out.

GBR!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.