ADVERTISEMENT

Farmer doing 'work' with Wrestling Team

Cloud@Heart

Senior
Aug 13, 2005
Helena, MT
A great article on another Husker site, written by Mike Schaefer, about offensive lineman Tanner Farmer.

He is down to 285 and went 5-1 at the Hastings Open a few weeks ago, placing 3rd. He feels he is gaining balance, conditioning, quickness, and confidence by working out with the Husker Wrestling Team.

The whole article is solid and worth the read. I like to hear about the positive transition!

As long as he can put back on the weight necessary for football, this is a great idea. Stephen Neal was a wrestler who Bill Belickick offered a practice squad spot. He then went on to become a starter at guard for 5+ years and win 3 Superbowls, and if not for injuries may have done even more.

As long as he can put back on the weight necessary for football, this is a great idea. Stephen Neal was a wrestler who Bill Belickick offered a practice squad spot. He then went on to become a starter at guard for 5+ years and win 3 Superbowls, and if not for injuries may have done even more.

The article quoted him as saying that he wants to play at 295lbs this spring. Fast, quick, and mean!

Reactions: baseball31ne
I'm trying to figure out why we wouldn't try him at DT? We have a ton of talent at Guard. With his size and upper body control as a wrestler, I think he would make a killer DT. Collins was a solid wrestler. Play him at 295-300. Athletic. And great upper body control/grips.

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
If it helps in football I'm all for it. But he is here to play football - it takes a pretty special athlete to be a dual sport guy particularly if you are a FB or BB player. Thus far he hasn't seen the field at all in FB but maybe being part of the wrestlung team will keep him structured and disciplined something a FB player on scholarship at a power 5 school should necessarily need help with. He needs to contribute on the football field and if that isn't going to happen the wrestling team can eat the scholarship while he competes in NAIA open wrestling tournaments.

If it helps in football I'm all for it. But he is here to play football - it takes a pretty special athlete to be a dual sport guy particularly if you are a FB or BB player. Thus far he hasn't seen the field at all in FB but maybe being part of the wrestlung team will keep him structured and disciplined something a FB player on scholarship at a power 5 school should necessarily need help with. He needs to contribute on the football field and if that isn't going to happen the wrestling team can eat the scholarship while he competes in NAIA open wrestling tournaments.

I don't think he is trying to be a dual sport guy. He wanted to spend 3 months pushing his athletic and mental boundaries to become a better football player. More lineman should work this hard and be willing to train harder in the offseason, in my opinion. I guarantee he has worked harder than any of his teammates over the last month, but that is because I know how intense and demanding college wrestling practices are. Only time will tell if it worked for him, and i hope he becomes a significant contributor next year. Boyd Eppley seems to be pleased with his transformation, and that should count for something. As far as earning his scholarship, I am inclined to think that I disagree with your opinion.

could we switch his scholarship to grappling? then get another football player, and have him just be a grappler who happens to play football?

I don't think he is trying to be a dual sport guy. He wanted to spend 3 months pushing his athletic and mental boundaries to become a better football player. More lineman should work this hard and be willing to train harder in the offseason, in my opinion. I guarantee he has worked harder than any of his teammates over the last month, but that is because I know how intense and demanding college wrestling practices are. Only time will tell if it worked for him, and i hope he becomes a significant contributor next year. Boyd Eppley seems to be pleased with his transformation, and that should count for something. As far as earning his scholarship, I am inclined to think that I disagree with your opinion.

I read this situation the very same way and the kid should be praised for his work ethic not ridiculed . Tanner is going to be a beast and wrestling is a big part of the transformation into it!

that seems unfair

Not really. Think of all the (eg, SEC) teams that would award non-football scholarships (eg, wrestling) to players who were actually attending the university to play football, thus having the ability to over sign more than they already do. No thanks.

Not really. Think of all the (eg, SEC) teams that would award non-football scholarships (eg, wrestling) to players who were actually attending the university to play football, thus having the ability to over sign more than they already do. No thanks.
they need to change that rule, but don't tell anyone except NU. we could have a lot of cornerbacks and rb's on the track team, and dl's and lb's on the grappling team. :cool:

disagree

NU has a great wrestling program with quality coaching. He will come to spring ball in good physical condition. Maximizing balance and leverage is key for the big boys in wrestling and I would think that will come in handy for an interior lineman.
If it's something he loves and is possibly a benefit, of course he should be doing it.

He wrestled in high school as do many outstanding lineman. Not sure how many true D1 productive offensive lineman also wrestle in college.

Nebraska has a long history of all conference and all American lineman. Does anyone have a list of how many also wrestled. For that matter how many Nebraska football players through the years have been dual sport guys??

I believe turner gill intended to play baseball as well but I think he only played after his senior year of football.

And Darin Erstad doesn't count.

I don't have a problem with it. 10 pounds is nothing on an OL and wrestling season will be over with more than enough time to get his weight back up.

Some of the responses in this thread are deeply stupid. It's not like there are football practices he's skipping right now. You think he doesn't have to lift and condition to wrestle, then you never wrestled. One of the most exhausting things you can do.

He wrestled in high school as do many outstanding lineman. Not sure how many true D1 productive offensive lineman also wrestle in college.

Nebraska has a long history of all conference and all American lineman. Does anyone have a list of how many also wrestled. For that matter how many Nebraska football players through the years have been dual sport guys??

I believe turner gill intended to play baseball as well but I think he only played after his senior year of football.

And Darin Erstad doesn't count.
Couple of guys did football and basketball... Matt Davison and Wilson Thomas I think...

I don't think they did it for multiple seasons necessarily... Also had some football players run track as well, but I bet that happens everywhere.

The QB who transferred after a year or two also wrestled, but that was his plan all along. Was it Harrison Beck? I can't remember.

I'm trying to figure out why we wouldn't try him at DT? We have a ton of talent at Guard. With his size and upper body control as a wrestler, I think he would make a killer DT. Collins was a solid wrestler. Play him at 295-300. Athletic. And great upper body control/grips.

I love the idea, but I am just an armchair quarterback.

My good buddy went up against Maliek and told me his footwork was what made him such a tough opponent ( but most Husker fans know that after watching him play). I have heard good things about wrestlers and their footwork.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT