ADVERTISEMENT

False Starts..........................

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
Watched the replay of the end of the Florida vs Kentucky game last night. The announcers said Florida had 8 false starts up until the last minute or so after having another one in the redzone. Then they proceeded to false start again in the redzone. They were gifted a second set of downs inside the 10 on a personal foul penalty and still couldn't score to tie or win the game.

I've seen WAY more false starts in the NFL and college football this year than I can ever remember. What's the deal? For the pros and many college teams is it having played last year without crowd noise.? That doesn't hold water for Florida because the SEC had fans in the stands. Unbelievable number of false start penalties. People thought we were the only ones.....

Watched the replay of the end of the Florida vs Kentucky game last night. The announcers said Florida had 8 false starts up until the last minute or so after having another one in the redzone. Then they proceeded to false start again in the redzone. They were gifted a second set of downs inside the 10 on a personal foul penalty and still couldn't score to tie or win the game.

I've seen WAY more false starts in the NFL and college football this year than I can ever remember. What's the deal? For the pros and many college teams is it having played last year without crowd noise.? That doesn't hold water for Florida because the SEC had fans in the stands. Unbelievable number of false start penalties. People thought we were the only ones.....
Good post. It raises a problem I have noticed too since when I have watched games, college and pro, I have kept an eye out for how many times other teams too have had this issue. And it is a big issue this year it seems. Who knows what the reason is? My hunch is this: teams with a lot of false starts are teams that are breaking in new offensive lines. It takes a while for offensive lines to "gel" since everyone has to know and understand what everyone is else is going to be doing. That has led to many mistakes for which the coaches and fans have gotten on the players. Therefore, they are pressing and seeking whatever competitive advantage they can get, which means, on passing plays especially, tackles and tight ends are going to want to get a "jump" on the edge rushers. And so they get twitchy and are itching to get off their stance and into pass blocking mode quickly. I have no idea if this hunch holds any water but it is all I can think of.

Good post. It raises a problem I have noticed too since when I have watched games, college and pro, I have kept an eye out for how many times other teams too have had this issue. And it is a big issue this year it seems. Who knows what the reason is? My hunch is this: teams with a lot of false starts are teams that are breaking in new offensive lines. It takes a while for offensive lines to "gel" since everyone has to know and understand what everyone is else is going to be doing. That has led to many mistakes for which the coaches and fans have gotten on the players. Therefore, they are pressing and seeking whatever competitive advantage they can get, which means, on passing plays especially, tackles and tight ends are going to want to get a "jump" on the edge rushers. And so they get twitchy and are itching to get off their stance and into pass blocking mode quickly. I have no idea if this hunch holds any water but it is all I can think of.
OU had a bunch of false starts in a game after they played us as well. I can't remember now who they were playing. I was thinking as I was watching it "why didn't they do that against us?". KSU game maybe. I think the crowd noise this year is really messing with teams on the road for some reason.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I'll also submit that college teams, in particular, seem to be getting very elaborate with their snap calls. Between vocal calls, single claps, multiple claps, claps then look at the bench...I think coaches are over-complicating what should be a simple queue to just snap the ball.

I'll also submit that college teams, in particular, seem to be getting very elaborate with their snap calls. Between vocal calls, single claps, multiple claps, claps then look at the bench...I think coaches are over-complicating what should be a simple queue to just snap the ball.
I said this weeks ago on here when people were trying to blame the Offensive line coach and no one had a clue to what I was saying. I guess people starting to get it NOW.

One more time for the ones who like to pile on and NOT think for themselves.

STOP the cute stuff, all the movement, CLAPPING, like back the coach and more motion and CLAP AGAIN and JUST SNAP THE DAMN BAL!!!! This isnt rocket science...

It's getting harder and harder to field a disciplined team. Option game can gash a lot of defenses these days.

Defenses doing cheap crap is definitely one cause. I think it was Buffalo we got to jump by having our D shift.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I said this weeks ago on here when people were trying to blame the Offensive line coach and no one had a clue to what I was saying. I guess people starting to get it NOW.

One more time for the ones who like to pile on and NOT think for themselves.

STOP the cute stuff, all the movement, CLAPPING, like back the coach and more motion and CLAP AGAIN and JUST SNAP THE DAMN BAL!!!! This isnt rocket science...
Um no. Our O-line coach still is the worst in all of FBS. If he was good, then the Head Coach wouldn’t have to step in and work with the O-line in Week 5 and identify who the most talented players are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT