ADVERTISEMENT

Fall camp notes-Scrimmage and injury updates

Everyone on this board should go back and watch videos of our kick return game from the 80’s to 90’s. Our guys fielded almost every punt and rarely called for a fair catch. We saved a ton of field position yardage because of how fearless and aggressive we were. But we have not been like that now in 20 years. Now we run away from any punt that isn’t coming down directly to the return man and even when it does we call a fair catch if there is a defender within 15 yards. We also always had 2 guys back returning punts.
Foley needs to fix our punt return game and stop the bullshit of pissing down our legs in fear over every punt that comes our way.

Everyone on this board should go back and watch videos of our kick return game from the 80’s to 90’s. Our guys fielded almost every punt and rarely called for a fair catch. We saved a ton of field position yardage because of how fearless and aggressive we were. But we have not been like that now in 20 years. Now we run away from any punt that isn’t coming down directly to the return man and even when it does we call a fair catch if there is a defender within 15 yards. We also always had 2 guys back returning punts.
Foley needs to fix our punt return game and stop the bullshit of pissing down our legs in fear over every punt that comes our way.
Agree. This is a big year for Foley. If our ST suck again he needs to be shown the door. He loves to talk, but it is time to see some action.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
All-time favorites. Fullman return. Mike Rucker took a kitties head off with his block. 3:10 N.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Agree. This is a big year for Foley. If our ST suck again he needs to be shown the door. He loves to talk, but it is time to see some action.
Exactly. Every damn special teams coach we have had for 20 years talks a lot of optimistic shit every offseason. Then come game time you see guys running away from punts they need to field or fair catching when they could get 20 yards out of a return. Fricking aggravating as hell. Only Pierson El had the balls to field punts and the coaches let him because they knew his talent. Otherwise it has been a timid and passive group overall. And in close games those hidden yards are critical.

So someone with greater football knowledge than myself tell me why this is a good idea. Foley is considering using Nelson because he’s a good blocker? Is wanting to use Nelson because he’s the shiny new toy in the tool box? What has Ed been doing the last 12 months that he has to use someone on ST that is a freshman who’s barely been on campus 90 days. I’m not seeing the net positive with this.

Special teams play is a barometer of the mood and chemistry of the whole team. For the past 8 years in particular our punt return game was geared toward being safe. Geared toward “not making a mistake” and playing not to lose. And that is how the whole teams have played. Fearful. Timid. Tight. Osborne’s return men were confident and fearless, just like the whole team. Swagger. Aggression.

So someone with greater football knowledge than myself tell me why this is a good idea. Foley is considering using Nelson because he’s a good blocker? Is wanting to use Nelson because he’s the shiny new toy in the tool box? What has Ed been doing the last 12 months that he has to use someone on ST that is a freshman who’s barely been on campus 90 days. I’m not seeing the net positive with this.
Nelson is an elite athlete who was recruited by multiple top programs. You get him on the field anyway you can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT