ADVERTISEMENT

Experiences buying a vehicle...

Back in the day (60's) you could order any of about 15 exterior colors with any of about 10 interior trim/seat colors with any of about 5 carpet colors. Every year a few people would order a pink car with purple seats and green carpet and once it arrived, puke and forfeit their deposit. My dad used to buy those for a song halfway through the next model year. I remember we had a tan/yellow Rambler with green interior once and a Falcon that was lime green with green seats/dash and red carpet.

Last car I bought, I made a list of the options I wanted and the model and color I wanted. Also told the salesman what I would pay (after going to one other dealer). The manager agreed with my offer and the salesman started filling out the papers and then tried to sell me all types of warranties, undercoating, seat sprays (leather seats) etc., and also attempted to add on a "destination fee" for the car and financing through the dealer.
I just smiled politely and told the salesman that he should immediately go get the manager of all managers as I would not sit for one change in my offer and was not going to sit in the office while he ran back and forth for a good guy, bad guy exercise and he had just ten minutes to finalize the deal.
The salesman and manager returned within two minutes and the final offer I made was a go and I drove away with the new car.
I have had relatives that go shopping for cars and have no clue what options they want on a car and go back and forth between dealerships five or six times.
It isn't that hard folks, know what you want and know what you are willing to pay.
I had a similar moment like this where the lightbulb came on for me. It was my second new car ever, buying a 2001 Trans Am that is still in my garage. They took my 97 S-10 to "go have the shop check it out" for trade in. They proceeded to play all the back and forth talk to my manager about that games. At some point I grew weary of this and became angry with the dude and told him to go get my truck. All of a sudden nobody knew where my keys were. I then go louder and started making a scene in front of a lot of people. Like magic, I was the one in the bosses office hashing out the deal. I ended up getting a great deal on my Trans Am, and they made less on me for it than all their cheap Grand Am's and Grand Prix's on the lot. I go into dealerships like an assassin after that. I don't care who I offend. I am there to buy and not to play games. I feel bad for the next guy I buy from in a few years when my truck wears out.

Reactions: 6thdegree
I have had really great experiences with Baxter. And a really mixed bag with Woodhouse.

I've bought our last 2 Toyotas from Performance/Baxter. Both times, via email, phone and text, had the price agreed upon before I set foot in the dealership. Was happy with both deals. Still had to endure the 90-minute finance and add-on spiel before we got out the door.

Reactions: bbarry464
I have had nothing but good experiences with dealerships. Without their help I would never have known about useful stuff like pinstriping, extra tinting, extra undercoating, nitrogen for my tires, dealer prep, extended warranties etc. I also appreciate their efforts to support the coffee industry when presenting my offers to their supervisors. ( What’s another hour or two?)

I don’t own an internal combustion car anymore — only have two Teslas — and of course states like Nebraska are protecting their citizens against Tesla’s refusal to establish dealerships. I hope they stand firm to protect all of those dealerships and their superior service. (And of course dealerships do a great job of financially supporting needy legislators.)

Carbon footprint for Tesla = twice that of internal combustion. Just saying. You have to start somewhere, I assume at some point electric cars will be better for the planet.

Carbon footprint for Tesla = twice that of internal combustion. Just saying. You have to start somewhere, I assume at some point electric cars will be better for the planet.

People don’t really buy electric cars to help the planet do they? People buy Tesla’s for the performance and to be seen. Others buy the less sexy electric cars to save on gas money.

I had a similar moment like this where the lightbulb came on for me. It was my second new car ever, buying a 2001 Trans Am that is still in my garage. They took my 97 S-10 to "go have the shop check it out" for trade in. They proceeded to play all the back and forth talk to my manager about that games. At some point I grew weary of this and became angry with the dude and told him to go get my truck. All of a sudden nobody knew where my keys were. I then go louder and started making a scene in front of a lot of people. Like magic, I was the one in the bosses office hashing out the deal. I ended up getting a great deal on my Trans Am, and they made less on me for it than all their cheap Grand Am's and Grand Prix's on the lot. I go into dealerships like an assassin after that. I don't care who I offend. I am there to buy and not to play games. I feel bad for the next guy I buy from in a few years when my truck wears out.
I gave some people at McGrath Honda a bad day off some BS like that. They wouldn't give me any clear idea of a price on the phone, made me make an appointment to come in, swore they'd negotiate in person. So I drive the car, I like it, I want to buy it. They proceed to hold totally firm on price. I left, called a dealer up in Wisconsin and had my offer accepted over the phone. I hopped on Yelp and detailed the whole song at dance and McGrath, next day they're on the phone with me, "Well, I wish you woulda let us take the time to price match before you went and wrote a review like that..."

Tough shit, kiddos. I wish your sales manager wouldn't have jerked me around because I was just buying a used Civic so he probably didn't figure I was worth the time. I wasn't a big deal until you wasted my Saturday and I exposed your sleazeball tactics for everyone to see.

Bought our Odyssey from some Buick/GMC dealer I'll never go back to again. Got a good price on it, but I had to work pretty hard for it. That place was slimy and if I had to do it again, I'd have walked away when I saw how dirty the car was. It had been on their lot for months and months and they hadn't bothered to detail the crayon off it from the previous owner's kids. Should have told me I was working with bush league people right then and there.

Reactions: resdog851
Really depends on how you charge it. If you get your power from nuclear like we do out here, or if you have panels, it ends up being cleaner in the long run.

It slays me when people trash talk Lithium batteries like every combustion car on the road isn't riding around with 40 pounds of lead and acid providing the electricity...

So where is a good place around Omaha for a used car?
I bought two used cars recently. I quickly found out that most "used car lots" are selling cars with salvaged titles. Which means the vehicle has been totaled and fixed up. So you MIGHT get a hell of a deal, or you MIGHT get a car that doesn't work right because it wasn't fixed right. For that reason, I suggest buying your used car from a dealer that specializes in that make of car. They will have tighter standards put on them by corporate about how good the quality of a used car of their brand has to be for them to offer it for sale.

There was an oversupply of smaller vehicles recently. People got small, fuel efficient cars when gas was expensive. Once gas went under $3, everyone wanted to trade in for a bigass SUV and now dealers are stuck with all these smaller cars. You can get a killer deal.

I will probably buy certified used until the day I die. Our Odyssey isn't certified used, our Civic is. I have so much more comfort with that Civic knowing that it passed rigorous standards from mechanics who are certified and trained to work on Hondas and that if anything big goes wrong, it's covered. 30K miles on a Civic, that's like buying a new car without having to go through the fury when it gets its first scratch on it or pay new car prices.

Reactions: dand84
People don’t really buy electric cars to help the planet do they? People buy Tesla’s for the performance and to be seen. Others buy the less sexy electric cars to save on gas money.

If that was electric car's sales pitch I would not have to point out their actual sales pitch is wrong....otherwise, agree.

I bought two used cars recently. I quickly found out that most "used car lots" are selling cars with salvaged titles. Which means the vehicle has been totaled and fixed up. So you MIGHT get a hell of a deal, or you MIGHT get a car that doesn't work right because it wasn't fixed right. For that reason, I suggest buying your used car from a dealer that specializes in that make of car. They will have tighter standards put on them by corporate about how good the quality of a used car of their brand has to be for them to offer it for sale.

There was an oversupply of smaller vehicles recently. People got small, fuel efficient cars when gas was expensive. Once gas went under $3, everyone wanted to trade in for a bigass SUV and now dealers are stuck with all these smaller cars. You can get a killer deal.

I will probably buy certified used until the day I die. Our Odyssey isn't certified used, our Civic is. I have so much more comfort with that Civic knowing that it passed rigorous standards from mechanics who are certified and trained to work on Hondas and that if anything big goes wrong, it's covered. 30K miles on a Civic, that's like buying a new car without having to go through the fury when it gets its first scratch on it or pay new car prices.

To bad its a civic....

So where is a good place around Omaha for a used car?

I just got a used car from Woodhouse in Bellevue. Pretty good to work with. Got the deal done quickly. I dont buy used unless they let me take it and have my own mechanic check it out. Anytime I buy used I get the extended warranty. It has saved me thousands even with the high price of them.

Reactions: dand84
Ive only bought used. Ive learned a lot on the years buying used. My most reliable vehicle have been from small sales lots. My best deals have been from bigger places. I dont trust my own mother to sell me a car anymore and would never buy from craigslist or a private buyer. You buy from a lot you can hold them accountable especially in the days of social media if something goes wrong with it in a short amount of time. Dealers find a way to screw you one way or another though. If the car price seems really low then they probably got a really low interest rate from the finance company then added a few percent to keep for themselves. I learned the hard way about warranties. They charge what they want so that price is negotiable as well.

Too bad you can't spell.

Technically he can, he just didn't use the correct form of the word.

Just thought I'd put that out there since we're being petty. :)

a38a50d5a951741660ef0267ef661de4.jpg

Would be interested to hear if majority of folks have had good experiences when buying a vehicle from a dealership?

Thought I had purchased a vehicle today after some negotiations , but once financing people learned I wouldn’t buy an additional warranty, they freaking tried to brow beat me into the ground.....worst experience of my life!

Really? I would have loved that! I would have walked on their ass so fast and thanked them for showing me their concerns.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT