ADVERTISEMENT

Ever Left a Game Early?

maplesyrup95

Junior
Nov 26, 2014
In light of the Kansas City Chiefs coming back to win and down 21 in the 4th Q to the Chargers yesterday, I'm curious as to who has left a game early or turned off the TV and if it bit you in the ass!
(I'm not necessarily talking family/friend emergencies, I'm talking you are pissed off and have had enough!)

In light of the Kansas City Chiefs coming back to win and down 21 in the 4th Q to the Chargers yesterday, I'm curious as to who has left a game early or turned off the TV and if it bit you in the ass!
(I'm not necessarily talking family/friend emergencies, I'm talking you are pissed off and have had enough!)
I did lots of times in the Callahan years where we would give up a score every time the opponent had the ball and the game was essentially over in the 2nd quarter. I would head back to the bar for beers and to look at the girls so that at least my trip to Lincoln was not a total loss.

Reactions: Red Steve
My parents went to the Missouri game in 97 where we won in overtime. When Missouri scored with just over a minute left in the game, my parents left. In fairness, my mom was in a wheelchair and my parents didn't want to get caught up in the bedlam that was sure to ensue, so when they got back to the car and turned the radio on, they were bummed to hear about what they missed...

I leave almost EVERY game early ...either to get to the tailgate...have left at half and not made it back or to beat traffic.....now if its close of course I stay but otherwise beat the traffic

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Was at the Chiefs game yesterday, at least 1/3 of the stadium had left at the end of the 3rd quarter/4th quarter. We stayed, mainly b/c it's the only game that we're going to this year, and were we rewarded with the biggest comeback in franchise history. Unreal (and they did play 'let me clear my throat' after the comeback)!!

I'd say at least 10-20% left for our biggest comeback ever (vs. Ohio St)...maybe someone should ask the coach what he thought about that. I'm joking...

GBR

Reactions: maplesyrup95
Left the 2002 Rose Bowl early. Who knew that horrible game would be the start of 15 years of mediocrity?

I left the Texas game early when it began to snow late in the game, as I was walking back home I heard the crowd roar. Well, we came back, so I ran back to the stadium only to have Terrance Nunn fumble the game away.

2 games,
1. k-state in the 80's, I think we were up on the 70 points in the 3rd quarter, figured I'd beat traffic back to Omaha.
2. a&m at home with Callahan, left at halftime, bad seats and I knew Callahan was going to choke the game away, with both hands firmly around his neck, in full gag motion.

Most of the Pelini years I bailed on the TV games when we were in the process of losing another "big" game. I'd go to the garage or out in the yard to do something constructive. Quite a few times my wife would come to tell me, "we scored, we're back in it!" I always refused to come back to watch as I felt 1. If you bail, you bail - no going back, and 2. Going back would jinx any potential win.

I missed the end of both Wisconsin and Michigan St. comebacks that way, but didn't regret it. Anyone else feel at times like you need to walk away for your own physical/mental health?

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Most of the Pelini years I bailed on the TV games when we were in the process of losing another "big" game. I'd go to the garage or out in the yard to do something constructive. Quite a few times my wife would come to tell me, "we scored, we're back in it!" I always refused to come back to watch as I felt 1. If you bail, you bail - no going back, and 2. Going back would jinx any potential win.

I missed the end of both Wisconsin and Michigan St. comebacks that way, but didn't regret it. Anyone else feel at times like you need to walk away for your own physical/mental health?
I was the same way. After we got down by 3 touchdowns in the 2nd half to our foes during our former coaching staff's tenure, I knew it would only be hurting my soul to keep watching us slip down the slope on national TV. Here's to no more of that!

Left the 2002 Rose Bowl early. Who knew that horrible game would be the start of 15 years of mediocrity?

I think of the preceding game (NU v Colorado, 36-62) as the start of the slide. The other options must have been terrible for us to have been selected for the National Championship game after that beating.

Yes, the CU massacre was probably the start of the slide, but regarding the selection of Nebraska to the National Championship game was appropriate. Nebraska needed like 6 games to play out in a particular way, including the margin of some of the games. Literally to a tee, each one began to fall just as needed and if they had been left out, I would have been sick to see each domino fall in place and still not be called in. Looking back, maybe it would have been better to play someone with fewer NFL stars and maybe finish with a win and a good taste in the mouth, but at the time, I would have protested if they had not been selected.

2 games,
1. k-state in the 80's, I think we were up on the 70 points in the 3rd quarter, figured I'd beat traffic back to Omaha.
2. a&m at home with Callahan, left at halftime, bad seats and I knew Callahan was going to choke the game away, with both hands firmly around his neck, in full gag motion.
I left the a&m game as well. Only one I can remember leaving early.

okie lite. 38-0 at half. too painful to watch another half of that BS.

I'd say at least 10-20% left for our biggest comeback ever (vs. Ohio St)
This bothers me when people say this because I was at that game too and I'd say closer to 40% of Nebraska fans (myself included) stepped out at halftime. Mostly just to get out of the stadium and get a breather because that game had a "WTF is going on" and "seriously, another beat down" feel to it.

But to start the second half the stadium was back 95% - 97% full again. Excluding the student section as I believe only 2/3 of them showed back up to start the second half.

I missed the end of both Wisconsin and Michigan St. comebacks that way, but didn't regret it.
I stayed for both of those games and I was so happy that I did. Especially the Michigan St game since it was an away game.

I left the Texas game early when it began to snow late in the game, as I was walking back home I heard the crowd roar. Well, we came back, so I ran back to the stadium only to have Terrance Nunn fumble the game away.
So you're the one to blame...

2 games,
I stayed for that a&m game. That year still pisses me off..

Left at halftime against Ohio State in 2011. Not because we were losing so badly, or because it was raining, but because I pregamed too much and now had a migraine. I Gave away my tickets to a guy and his son outside of the stadium. They were so excited and couldn't believe I would give away tickets for free. What followed was the largest comeback in school history. It would have been impossible for me to enjoy so I'm glad I was able to help someone else experience it instead.

I don't think I've ever heard it louder or felt the stadium shaking like it did when we took the lead over Texas in 2006. Started snowing at about that time as well. Just an amazing atmosphere and then T. Nunn.....damn it.

Reactions: timnsun
I don't think I've ever heard it louder or felt the stadium shaking like it did when we took the lead over Texas in 2006. Started snowing at about that time as well. Just an amazing atmosphere and then T. Nunn.....damn it.
Yep...i remember when the snow started and Lucky threw that pass and I was like I have never seen it like this .....then we blew it

Reactions: timnsun
You people are weird.
200.gif

Reactions: Cornicator
I left the Wisconsin Big 10 game in Indy in the 2nd quarter

My friend and I stuck it out to the end of the 3rd, beginning of the 4th. We round tripped it, drove out that Saturday morning, got to Indy with about 2 hours to spare, and were driving back right afterwards. That sucked. Pretty sure its the only game I really left 'early'. I didn't attend the OSU game in 2007. Not sure what I would have done had I.

My brother calls me "mister go home early guy". The worst was the famous Sid Bream slide into home when the Braves beat the Pirates in the playoffs. I had been to 7 games that year and they lost all 7. So I joked to those around me before the 9th that I had to leave if the Braves were going to rally. I was just trying to beat traffic. I listened on the radio driving home on I85 cursing myself.

10 years later my brother is visiting Atlanta and we go to a game. Braves are down big late so we leave early. We're walking to our car as the Braves hit a grand slam in the 9th to win. We hear all about it as all the vendors have the game on the radio. My brother just laughs and says you're cursed.

Reactions: saluno22
Only game I ever left early was 2007 against Kansas at Kansas. Went with friends, half of whom left at halftime saying they were coming back, but they never did. I was the last to leave at the start of the fourth quarter. We had purchased the tickets long before the season began, figuring that would be a safe road trip and a victory. While we were safe, 76 points was too much to overcome...

Hate to admit it, but I left the Hail Mary Northwestern game early. Looked at my wife and said lets get outta here, I am tired of watching inept, bad football. Just as we turned on the car to leave we heard the radio call.

Hate to admit it, but I left the Hail Mary Northwestern game early. Looked at my wife and said lets get outta here, I am tired of watching inept, bad football. Just as we turned on the car to leave we heard the radio call.

That's got to hurt. To know that you could have witnessed that.
picardpalm_zpsxweufj6h.gif

I left early once. Iowa State. 1985. Really cold. Halftime. No regrets.

As for Nebraska Football, I've never left a game...or turned off a game...early. Ever. Never will.

2004 Colorado game, Joe Dailey at QB. Left in the 4th quarter with Huskers down 26-6, by the time I got to the car it was 26-20. I remember thinking "I'm gonna miss the comeback".... But that was the final score and the end of the "Bowl Streak"... Ugh, bad Husker memories.

Only game I can recall leaving was a Miami Syracuse game at the Orange Bowl. Uncle is a big Canes fan. I was young. We went and Donovan McNabb basically ran all over the Canes D and Syracuse was up by 40 or so he wanted to leave and we did.

had a friend leave early from the MSU game last year ...I told him he needs to leave early saturday

The only game I ever left early was the Iowa State game in 1997. I had a head cold, and probably should have skipped the game, but I was young and stupid. I think temps were in the teens for kickoff. Coldest game I ever attended. Had a high fever-induced hallucinations during the ensuing payment for that little gem. Was a pretty good season overall if I remember right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT