ADVERTISEMENT

Evaluate Iowa

I will add that it was clear Tommy was about 70% and Ryker was prob worse with his wrist, he just had a pin put in 5 days ago. Not necessarily the reason we lost but it didn't help at all that Tommy couldn't move.

My point is Tommy was not healthy and threw 37% clip, not all his fault we really had no other option. I expect and healthy Tommy to deliver in bowl game

Reactions: newAD
When you get beat 40-10 it was a Horrible Job By All The Coaches And Players (except Westy).

I will add that it was clear Tommy was about 70% and Ryker was prob worse with his wrist, he just had a pin put in 5 days ago. Not necessarily the reason we lost but it didn't help at all that Tommy couldn't move.

Injuries happen. Beathard was beat-up earlier in the season.
Iowa has played nine different O-line combinations in twelve games.
Early in the season, Iowa lost their best O-lineman, their best D-lineman, their best wide receiver and their best tight end. The only one that's returned is the TE, Kittle, that caught two TDs today.

Early in the season, Iowa lost their best O-lineman, their best D-lineman, their best wide receiver and their best tight end. The only one that's returned is the TE, Kittle, that caught two TDs today.
I'd also also add that Beathard is still playing below 100% and Iowa was playing a couple 3rd string DB's.

Iowa = blue collar and fundamentals. On offense, nothing fancy. Power football. 5/6 up front drive whoever is in front of them. Ball control. Basic hand-off to RB who follows a big FB though the hole. 3,4,5 yards. Do it again. And again. And again, until they are worn down. Occasional play action pass. short routes, quick outs and screen passes.

On defense: Contain. Basic cover two. Bend don't break. Assignments emphasized, play your position. know your assignment. Fundamentals, especially tackling. Risk averse, force the opponent into making a play, then make them pay for any mistake.

That's the scouting report. It has never varied much under Ferentz.

Nebraska has 9 scholarship offensive linemen available (not redshirting). I'd kill for Nebraska to have been able to have 9 different combinations.

Nebraska has two DTs that could be on the roster but are playing for the Cowboys and Patriots, and a third decided to go to Michigan State.

One starting DE is a walk on.

Iowa's running game isn't dependent on the QB being able to be a run threat.

Not making excuses, I'm saying why I'm not surprised this happened.

I'd also also add that Beathard is still playing below 100% and Iowa was playing a couple 3rd string DB's.

That's what's frustrating. Our receivers could have torched them....BUT, doesn't matter when the injured mobile QB couldn't make the throws to them. We had them beat deep numerous times, but doesn't matter when they are incomplete.

Iowa = blue collar and fundamentals. On offense, nothing fancy. Power football. 5/6 up front drive whoever is in front of them. Ball control. Basic hand-off to RB who follows a big FB though the hole. 3,4,5 yards. Do it again. And again. And again, until they are worn down. Occasional play action pass. short routes, quick outs and screen passes.

On defense: Contain. Basic cover two. Bend don't break. Assignments emphasized, play your position. know your assignment. Fundamentals, especially tackling. Risk averse, force the opponent into making a play, then make them pay for any mistake.

That's the scouting report. It has never varied much under Ferentz.

It also helps when you have a QB who can throw intermediate passes without them getting batted down, and doesn't make mistakes.

Reactions: dinglefritz
That's what's frustrating. Our receivers could have torched them....BUT, doesn't matter when the injured mobile QB couldn't make the throws to them. We had them beat deep numerous times, but doesn't matter when they are incomplete.
You think the defense plays the same if Tommy is healthy (meaning, do you think the DBs are in the same positions to get beat) and can throw the ball "accurately" (using that term loosely, of course. it's tommy armstrong).

You think the defense plays the same if Tommy is healthy (meaning, do you think the DBs are in the same positions to get beat) and can throw the ball "accurately" (using that term loosely, of course. it's tommy armstrong).

Probably not. I'm saying that there were numerous big play opportunities but we missed. Close doesn't count in this game.

It only matters what is the health of team on this day. Tommy wasn't healthy at all and with a healthy Tommy we weren't guaranteed a win. Iowa won congrats,

Reactions: newAD
It only matters what is the health of team on this day. Tommy wasn't healthy at all and with a healthy Tommy we weren't guaranteed a win. Iowa won congrats,

It took iowa about 3 plays to figure out Tommy had no burst. They didn't respect his ability to run. Downhill from there.

Like I said Tommy as a drop back passer it was over early, not his game. Not saying we would have won with a healthy Tommy but he wasn't himself at all.

Like I said Tommy as a drop back passer it was over early, not his game. Not saying we would have won with a healthy Tommy but he wasn't himself at all.
It was wise for you to not say that, because he is terrible even when he is healthy.

My statement was based on watching him in games where he was healthy. Dude can't hit the broadside of a barn on a good day.

He threw for 296 against your team last year when healthy. That's a lot of barns. Lucky for you he made 4 mistakes.

I was at the game and never once observed him limping whether he was rolling out or running the ball, how did you come up with the 70%?

Iowa is Iowa, 8-4, with a loss to North Dakota State and an upset over Michigan.

Nebraska is 9-3, still no identity going on 15 years.

2017 is a pivotal year for Nebraska football.

ADVERTISEMENT