ADVERTISEMENT

Erstad, Huskers not running from pressure [by Dan Hoppen]

I know a lot of people are pretty down on Erstad and from a results point I get that, it's ultimately what matters. But I don't know how you can't look at the way he talks and not be excited and not badly want him to succeed. The man gets it. He doesn't back down from the challenge and he doesn't point fingers at anyone else but himself. We could do worse than Darin Erstad as the head coach of our beloved program

Reactions: RobsterMobster
I don't know that there's anybody that doesn't want him to succeed. His obvious love for the university makes him easy to root for. Even when he is losing, I don't feel the kind of resentment towards him that I felt towards Mike Anderson. But rooting for somebody doesn't win games. And his teams just haven't been winning enough. 1 regional appearance in 4 years and an 8th place conference finish in his 4th year doesn't cut it under even the most relaxed standards for this program. I know he knows that and he isn't satisfied with how things went last year.
But does he have the ability to turn things around and lead the program to where it should be? All the desire in the world to succeed and all the love for and loyalty towards the program may not be enough. The results so far are not encouraging.
And as great as it can be to have a former player leading your program in any sport, especially one with a connection to two sports like Erstad has, it can also pose major problems, because if they don't succeed, you are put in the bad position of either having to fire a legend or let them continue coaching beyond the point where it's clear they aren't getting it done and are not going to get it done because firing that legend would just be too controversial. I fear we are headed towards the latter situation with Erstad because even as bad as Mike Anderson was, amazingly there was still a group of people out there that defended him and thought he was doing a good enough job. If there were people that would defend MA when he was clearly failing, there will be even more that will defend Erstad. Year 5 should be a very critical time for him, and yet there is almost certainly zero chance he would get fired after the season no matter how bad it goes. And considering what we have to replace from last year, there isn't much reason for optimism this year. The one good thing is nobody is expecting much from us, so maybe we can surprise people.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
The year 4 comment is still a giant misnomer tho and doesn't really give an honest view. In baseball because of the off recruiting cycle, you don't get most of your first recruiting class on the diamond until year 3 (and that's without redshirts).

Otherwise I agree with everything you say. I will give Darin more time than usual tho, because he seems to recruit well, he represents the program well and he at least has that competitive spirit. I'm pretty optimistic that it will eventually come together with him in charge, I really believe that.

That being said, I'm positive you're 100% right that even if things continue with this trend, he'll be around for quite some time. It's the casualty of loving a secondary (or let's be honest, maybe even tertiary) sport. The casual fan doesn't care enough to really put any pressure on a program and generally the AD doesn't want to spend too much time dealing with them. MA is by all accounts a horrible coach and individual yet the casual fan still probably thinks he was a good guy that just suffered bad luck in the draft and the 'horrible fans' just wanted him gone "unfortunately".

Honestly, even if he absolutely tanks, I couldn't see him being fired in the next 2 years. And if he performs at the same level as last year, I'm actually guessing that's 3-4. That's the reality we face.

The year 4 comment is still a giant misnomer tho and doesn't really give an honest view. In baseball because of the off recruiting cycle, you don't get most of your first recruiting class on the diamond until year 3 (and that's without redshirts).

Otherwise I agree with everything you say. I will give Darin more time than usual tho, because he seems to recruit well, he represents the program well and he at least has that competitive spirit. I'm pretty optimistic that it will eventually come together with him in charge, I really believe that.

That being said, I'm positive you're 100% right that even if things continue with this trend, he'll be around for quite some time. It's the casualty of loving a secondary (or let's be honest, maybe even tertiary) sport. The casual fan doesn't care enough to really put any pressure on a program and generally the AD doesn't want to spend too much time dealing with them. MA is by all accounts a horrible coach and individual yet the casual fan still probably thinks he was a good guy that just suffered bad luck in the draft and the 'horrible fans' just wanted him gone "unfortunately".

Honestly, even if he absolutely tanks, I couldn't see him being fired in the next 2 years. And if he performs at the same level as last year, I'm actually guessing that's 3-4. That's the reality we face.

The recruiting excuse doesn't hold true when arguably(his first year may have been worse) his worst team consisted mostly of Erstad recruits.....coincidence? Doubtful....but it comes with the territory when the previous AD's vision was to hire someone who would be "around for awhile" rather than hiring the best candidate. Instead, we get guy who has never had to manage a college program. I do think his recruiting is getting better...not sure if that shows up this year, or in the following years. Not giving up on Erstad yet...he knows baseball, and I'm hoping he will adapt but he has been a disapointment thus far. If he can't get it done in the next few years hopefully he moves on to pro ball in which I think he may be a better fit. It's nice that Erstad says all the right things...but that's the only thing he has proven thus far. Well that, and owning Creighton...which is nice.

The recruiting excuse doesn't hold true when arguably(his first year may have been worse) his worst team consisted mostly of Erstad recruits.....coincidence? Doubtful....but it comes with the territory when the previous AD's vision was to hire someone who would be "around for awhile" rather than hiring the best candidate. Instead, we get guy who has never had to manage a college program. I do think his recruiting is getting better...not sure if that shows up this year, or in the following years. Not giving up on Erstad yet...he knows baseball, and I'm hoping he will adapt but he has been a disapointment thus far. If he can't get it done in the next few years hopefully he moves on to pro ball in which I think he may be a better fit. It's nice that Erstad says all the right things...but that's the only thing he has proven thus far. Well that, and owning Creighton...which is nice.

I think taking over the offense so to speak and running game might be what is needed. Not too sure last years offensive coach knew what to do with these players. Anyway, Darin is taking more control and we will see what happens.

"I get it,"
is the Erstad sound bite
local media keeps playing over and over from that interview after the first practice.

As an Coach E and Nebraska baseball supporter
All I can say is....
Earn it, every day!
Go Big Red!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT