ADVERTISEMENT

Elliot N?

This guy knows Diaco's system and if it helps the defense transition then I think that's way more important.

The way I see it, have him come in for 3-4 years, help the defense fully adjust to the new system, then let him ride off into the sunset and bring in your big time recruiter!!

Reactions: headcard
Think thats a pretty popular thought and with you thinking it; its a well lit lane we are in. I am sure its being discussed and addressed; but the 10th slot is often discussed as spoken for. So we will hear who is lending a hand in some way this Spring.

Do all the people who dislike this hire, really dislike this hire or do some just like to play devil's advocate?

Diaco needs at least one coach he knows. He's coming into a situation where he knows no one. He needs at least one guy he can completely trust.

True Elliot is not a big time recruiter or young but he has landed a 5-star before. I have 100% faith in Diaco. He's earned that in his career as a D-cord. I never gave any faith into Banker.He didn't earn it in his career. And honestly, I didn't have any faith in Mike until he started making the difficult choices to make the program better. And this is not a "buddy hire". He's a trust hire.

http://247sports.com/Coach/Bob-Elliott-1423/AllTimeRecruits

Diaco and Elliot have coached championship level defenses. The rub on Riley was that he would never get rid of his running buddies Banker and Read. Given that he's known and worked with those guys long term, that had to be personally very difficult for him. Yet he did it and brought in people who can only be described as upgrades. I wonder sometimes if some folks around here are living in the real world.

I think some people on here are just upset because Bullocks was reported as being one of the candidates for the position. When we see a former Blackshirt that was successful on the field for Nebraska, I think people sometimes jump to the conclusion that he must be the right guy for the job. He's young and was a good player for Nebraska. Personally I love the hire of Elliott. Yes he is up there in age but that doesn't mean he isn't great coach. From a quick look at things it seems to me that where ever he was at the secondary played pretty well. Including his time at ND with Diaco. Maybe Bullocks would have been just fine but Riley knows that this is a pivotal year for the Defense as they transition to the 3-4 and I believe both Riley and Diaco wanted this guy here to help with that. I can't knock anything Riley does now, as he has proven enough to me that he is trying to get Nebraska back where we all want it.... to be a contender in the Big Ten and nationally. Just my opinion, but I'm already excited for the spring game!!!

I am not a fan of old white people coaching young kids but this guy has forgotten more about football than this board knows combined so I will give him some time

I am not a fan of old white people coaching young kids but this guy has forgotten more about football than this board knows combined so I will give him some time

Why is that? I know a heck of alot of Old White Guys that have made great impacts coaching kids. From youth coaches to TO.

At the college level as head coach I get it but I just am not thrilled with this hire at an assistant level....I just think this was a missed opportunity to get another solid recruiter in but if Diaco feels this is the best fit who am I to complain

MV5BODIyNzYwNjE4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzA3MzQ3Mw@@._V1_UY317_CR2,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
Yes absolutely yes..its just the old white dudes.

This guy was a pretty good teacher.

People in this thread keep talking about Notre Dame need to look at what he did at Kansas St.

I'm only replying because you quoted me. I'm fine with the hire of Elliott. So, I don't plan on looking at more of Elliott's past coaching/recruiting history. If someone else wants to research it and post, I'll be happy to read it though.

Like HuskerLLM said, Tavita Thompson seems likely as the 10th coach. If Thompson is named the 10th coach, I'll be fine with that as well.

#enlightened

Let no one say that mwulf is not fair. Giving Elliot some time.

Great resume as a coach. But can he recruit too? If so good as a coach, why did ND take him out of coaching/recruiting?

Kelly isn't as bright as everyone likes to think, especially himself.

Also might be some health issues at the time that would have required more down time than Kelly wanted or he wanted to give himself as a coach.

Great resume as a coach. But can he recruit too? If so good as a coach, why did ND take him out of coaching/recruiting?
He moves the needle defensively where he coaches (discussed in another posted topic). Diaco has coached with him and it's a safe assumption he has strong trust in him. The link is from when he was hired by the Domers. Don't know when the dude had his health setbacks, but it was serious. He has a transplanted kidney and I presume he is in good shape.
http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012112aac.html

Reactions: dinglefritz
Just an assumption here, no info, does Elliot go upstairs for games and Diaco stay in the field?

Last edited:

I said this in the other Elliot thread and I'll say it here as well. Go look at who was named the Rivals 2017 recruiter of the year. He's landed three 5 stars and twenty three 4 stars in the last five years. *Spoiler alert*, it's an old white guy, with white hair.

I'll also say this again, you're either a good recruiter or you're not. It has nothing to do with age or race, it's about being a salesman and being able to sell your product.

I would also like to note, I don't think Elliot was brought here to go gangbusters on the recruiting trail, I think he was brought here to coach. Not only to coach players but to also assist the other coaches in their learning of Diaco's 3-4 defense.

I said this in the other Elliot thread and I'll say it here as well. Go look at who was named the Rivals 2017 recruiter of the year. He's landed three 5 stars and twenty three 4 stars in the last five years. *Spoiler alert*, it's an old white guy, with white hair.

I'll also say this again, you're either a good recruiter or you're not. It has nothing to do with age or race, it's about being a salesman and being able to sell your product.

I would also like to note, I don't think Elliot was brought here to go gangbusters on the recruiting trail, I think he was brought here to coach. Not only to coach players but to also assist the other coaches in their learning of Diaco's 3-4 defense.
If you are a smart kid and looking at NU, I think you'll want to know who Elliot is. Some on the younger side want to believe that old white guys just can't vibe with recruits. Your factoid should disabuse them.

As I understand it, Methuselah and Bob Elliott went to elementary school together...and Elliott was a pallbearer at "The Thuse's" funeral.

A friend of mine played at Iowa for Elliott. He said he loves this hire and truly believes he will do great things at Nebraska. He also said that Elliott was one of the biggest influence in his life.

Love hearing these kinds of things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT