ADVERTISEMENT

Early signing period

WHCSC

Offensive Coordinator
Feb 4, 2002
How many of our committed recruits sign in December? If they don't should we be worried?

Hey, we're Husker Fans having gone thru the recent drought, so we're already worried.

I'll worry up to and including until they graduate.

I think Bookie definitely signs because he graduates in December. There maybe more. And yes, their probably is some room for concern.

Now, there are positive and negative factors in play with this early signing period.

On The positive, It will halt coaches like Harbaugh or Saban from accepting early commitments from dudes who they plan on "letting go" in January.

However, this is really going to benefit schools like Iowa State or Cal or Virginia. They might have a bead on a lesser known propsect who blows up as a Senior. In the past, some of those commits to Cal or the Clones might all of a sudden start receiving a ton of attention from top 25 programs late in December or January.

9 times out of 10, those guys reneged.

How many of our committed recruits sign in December? If they don't should we be worried?
Seeing how fast the summer is flying by; what if they had passed the July signing period also - yes I am for it. We could fill our class and make roster pushes later. We are recruiting right, so what if you worry on missing a hot one later - we have top guys now; and if we are below 22, Believe if supermen appear, we will find room later. GBR

I can't speak for Nebraska but if I'm a head coach and a kid that's committed doesn't sign in December, I'm cutting the cord.

My opinion is that is is silly to have a hard line stance like that. The coaches will know if they are losing the player or not 99% of the time. It isn't like there will be a huge group of uncommitted players waiting to replace the player whose cord you cut. Especially if that player is a difference maker. You won't replace with equal talent level in most cases.

My opinion is that is is silly to have a hard line stance like that. The coaches will know if they are losing the player or not 99% of the time. It isn't like there will be a huge group of uncommitted players waiting to replace the player whose cord you cut. Especially if that player is a difference maker. You won't replace with equal talent level in most cases.

You have to remember a good chunk of the Iowa board was cool with sticking it to Eno and the gang to replace them with I'm not even sure they remember who.

Well at the very least, if a kid who is "committed" doesn't want to sign on the early date, the coaches better be recruiting the crap out of other dudes at the same position and trying to flip players from other schools at that spot.

As long as we can get enough talent to challenge for our usual second or third place in the West, the early signing period shouldn't matter.

As long as we can get enough talent to challenge for our usual second or third place in the West, the early signing period shouldn't matter.
? Any Koolaide left ? Actually the drama will be fun; overall it benefits the players imo - whats your opinion ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT