ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t stress

Some of those that decommitted were not committed to Nebraska they were committed to a coach at Nebraska and that is a soft stance. You may like the coach who recruits you but you better learn to love the place you will spend four or five years of your life at. It's a brand new era with college athletics and I feel many of these kids feel a sense of entitlement something unheard of not too long ago.

The pride players had 15-30 years ago to play at Nebraska is something lost on many of today’s players. Out of state kids like Wistrom (not Winstrom), Ed Stewart, Ralph & Mike Brown, Steve Warren, the Peter Brothers, Frazier, Berringer, Mark Gilman and so many others along with the in-state kids that worked so hard to elevate Nebraska to heights that probably will never be seen again in Lincoln, their loyalty and dedication was incredible.

The new staff has its work cut out for them, to say the least.

Sorry to see the de commits and portal players. I know these guys have had their little feelings hurt because their coach isn’t here anymore. Man up or go somewhere else. GBR
Are you okay than if the record next year is 1-11 or whatever the number of games they play?

Reactions: TheHuskerFreak
Are you okay than if the record next year is 1-11 or whatever the number of games they play?
I'm sure as hell not. I'm tired and I hope the entire fanbase is as tired as I am. Coach Rhule hopefully will plot a path through the portal to get NU to 6 wins next season. We've seen too many other teams make quick turnarounds to be fooled into thinking it's impossible at NU. Six wins, please.

The pride players had 15-30 years ago to play at Nebraska is something lost on many of today’s players. Out of state kids like Wistrom (not Winstrom), Ed Stewart, Ralph & Mike Brown, Steve Warren, the Peter Brothers, Frazier, Berringer, Mark Gilman and so many others along with the in-state kids that worked so hard to elevate Nebraska to heights that probably will never be seen again in Lincoln, their loyalty and dedication was incredible.

The new staff has its work cut out for them, to say the least.
What made Nebraska stand out to those guys and drove those guys was being a perennial top 10 - nationally relevant program. Very little, if anything now separates Nebraska from Kansas-Kansas State- Iowa - Iowa st - Minnesota - Missouri, etc

Nebraska used to have a huge advantage over those schools simply because they were on another level nationally

That is no longer the case

Yeah the whole "we only want guys that want to be here" attitude doesn't work for the modern game. We need a coach who can convince the best to come here. Rhule is making 9 million a year and will need to be a great recruiter if he is going to succeed here

Reactions: ctlbyr
Yes but only for year one per Rhule's track record. Year two bowl game minimum. Year should be awesome.
I kinda disagree here. Everyone is going off of the Temple-Baylor blueprint. This whole three to four year build (by starting like sh*t) I disagree with in the NIL era. If this dude is what we're being sold he is, freaking prove it. He should be bowl eligible year one. Especially with schedule NU has next year.

I kinda disagree here. Everyone is going off of the Temple-Baylor blueprint. This whole three to four year build (by starting like sh*t) I disagree with in the NIL era. If this dude is what we're being sold he is, freaking prove it. He should be bowl eligible year one. Especially with schedule NU has next year.
Agree with the caveat that if the roster blows up with people leaving due to the Robert Joseph fiasco there may not be enough time to adequately deal with the roster fall out heading into next year

Last edited:
I'm sure as hell not. I'm tired and I hope the entire fanbase is as tired as I am. Coach Rhule hopefully will plot a path through the portal to get NU to 6 wins next season. We've seen too many other teams make quick turnarounds to be fooled into thinking it's impossible at NU. Six wins, please.
If Rhule doesn't get us there, I think we should try to find one of those monkeys some were talking about back in 2014 that could get us to 9 wins.

It's a double bonus because we get both 9 wins and a monkey.

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm not caring much until they look much better and win more games. The last six years has desensitized me to watching garbage football. Time will tell if he moves the needle but Rhule getting almost $70 million if he wins zero games here. Fans wanting to win x games in year y probably doesn't matter much to him.

Last edited:
Deeper the hole, the longer the climb. It’s a deep hole. The more impatience we show, the deeper it gets. Our fan expectations is one of our greatest hinderances. If the kids don’t buy in from the start, there’s only so much Rhule can do in one off season. Let’s not run another guy out of town prematurely just because he’s an outsider. Frost got 4+ year with nothing but failure. Rhule should be given the same courtesy before the pitchforks come out.

Sorry to see the de commits and portal players. I know these guys have had their little feelings hurt because their coach isn’t here anymore. Man up or go somewhere else. GBR
Yep, it's an unfortunate part of coaching changes. Losing Hausmann and Gould are the most devastating now and in the future

USC had a quick turnaround with a guy making 10 million. Our guy gets 9 million he better get to a bowl game. No more excuses.
If we can just find another $ 3 Million dollar NIL QB and a $ 1.5 Million dollar Biletnikoff award winner at WR to jump-start this offense. Know where we can find them?

Reactions: dinglefritz
They have gone elsewhere. And how’s it been working over the past two decades for us?

Lincoln Riley didn't bring in the portal players. USC boosters did, Addison is getting paid more than most NFL WR's. That's how you get things turned around, cfb is pay to play now.
So why don’t we just hire the cheapest coach and spend all the money on the players instead of paying 1 guy 9 million who doesn’t play?

Reactions: Clevinger
The problem is the players that are leaving are some of our better young players. Not a good sign... Wish Mickey would have stayed out of trouble and we could have kept him on staff because it really would have helped with the transition.

Reactions: HominidHusker
So why don’t we just hire the cheapest coach and spend all the money on the players instead of paying 1 guy 9 million who doesn’t play?
Kind of one of the reasons I suggested Montana State’s head coach might be a good choice. Boosters have a finite amount of dollars to give and paying a “celebrity spokesperson” can be construed as a legitimate advertising expense versus the donation to the Nebraska Foundation for a coach which is treated as a charitable donation. MUCH better tax treatment for the donor.

This is the new norm... Every year players will leave and the roster will have to be rebuilt. The starting QB from ND just entered the portal. If the NCAA does not get a handle on this and put some sort of guidelines to it, it will get worse. Players will go in for the NIL every year, get the best 1 yr deal and re-enter the next for a bigger payday. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This is the new norm... Every year players will leave and the roster will have to be rebuilt. The starting QB from ND just entered the portal. If the NCAA does not get a handle on this and put some sort of guidelines to it, it will get worse. Players will go in for the NIL every year, get the best 1 yr deal and re-enter the next for a bigger payday. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I suspect this might end up requiring some sort of intervention from Congress. The timeless rule of Unintended Consequences is playing out.

Agree with the caveat that if the roster blows up with people leaving due to the Robert Joseph fiasco there may not be enough time to adequately deal with the roster fall out heading into next year
Was gonna say the same. While we need to have a coach that can attract talent quickly, the short timeline and tidal wave of flux out there could be challenging for a first year rebuild.

But as much as we lose players, there’ll be some players available, and supposedly we’re a leader in NIL… so we “should” be able to assemble an adequate roster (one would hope).
I’m very anxious to see what kind of players we bring in to get this thing rolling. Early momentum would be huge in year 1.

Was gonna say the same. While we need to have a coach that can attract talent quickly, the short timeline and tidal wave of flux out there could be challenging for a first year rebuild.

But as much as we lose players, there’ll be some players available, and supposedly we’re a leader in NIL… so we “should” be able to assemble an adequate roster (one would hope).
I’m very anxious to see what kind of players we bring in to get this thing rolling. Early momentum would be huge in year 1.
4 of the 6 so far hired assistant coaches have been the recruiting coordinators at other stops, 2 at Baylor, 1 at Temple, and 1 at Penn State.

So, we will get a chance to see what type of collective chops they have.

Reactions: HominidHusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT