ADVERTISEMENT

Does the PAC 12 regret not killing off the Big 12 when they had the chance?

moralvictories

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 22, 2022
Looking back, I wonder if the PAC 12 regrets not poaching teams from the Big 12 when Texas and Oklahoma announced that they were leaving. By taking teams from the Big 12, they could have established a TV market in Texas, they could have had games in the central time zone which would have increased their exposure and their TV revenue, and killed off a competing conference at the same time.

The bow ties who run Stanford, Cal, etc., probably wanted none of that.

I would have loved to be in the room when they had to swallow hard and sign off on San Diego State and SMU joining the PAC-12.
The PAC 12 thumbed their nose at taking TCU and Baylor because they are religious schools, yet they are currently trying to convince SMU, a religious school, to join.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Yeah but it’s Methodist, which leans to the left big time. So it’s more aligned with the PAC 12 politics.
Yes, but do they have the academic standards to get in the PAC 12? That was the PAC 12's reasoning for rejecting schools like Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and Boise State.

As I mentioned in a thread a while back, if the PAC 12 wanted to offer a religious school, they should have invited BYU years ago. BYU has money, influence, and a large global footprint. I imagine the idea of bending some rules and offering a religious school (particularly an LDS one) irked some members. Now, BYU is going to the Big 12 and the PAC 12 is scrambling to find members.

Reactions: moralvictories
Interestingly enough with the OU/Texas move, only four national champions of the past 40 years reside outside of the Big10/SEC,ACC...Colorado, Washington, Notre Dame, and BYU.

All I know is I continue to be SO thankful NU moved to the B1G when we did.

At that time it seemed very possible that numerous teams would bolt the B12 and leave NU in a loser conference or forced to become independent, like Notre Dame.

Yes. They should have taken OK St, Kansas, Kansas St and Texas Tech when they had the chance. It would have added to the conference and got the PAC into the middle time zone for games. Now that they have waited it looks like the B12 has an opportunity to cash the PAC out. Thing is if the B12 does not do this then I think it gives the PAC time to recover and then possibly go on the offensive in 5 years. If the PAC does get this streaming thing to work and makes close to what the B12 makes and settles down I don't think the PAC will make the same mistake twice. I also think if the PAC was aggressive perhaps USC and UCLA may have thought about staying. I think that the BIG should go after OK St and Texas Tech or even TCU just to get into Texas and battle the SEC on that front.

Yes. They should have taken OK St, Kansas, Kansas St and Texas Tech when they had the chance. It would have added to the conference and got the PAC into the middle time zone for games. Now that they have waited it looks like the B12 has an opportunity to cash the PAC out. Thing is if the B12 does not do this then I think it gives the PAC time to recover and then possibly go on the offensive in 5 years. If the PAC does get this streaming thing to work and makes close to what the B12 makes and settles down I don't think the PAC will make the same mistake twice. I also think if the PAC was aggressive perhaps USC and UCLA may have thought about staying. I think that the BIG should go after OK St and Texas Tech or even TCU just to get into Texas and battle the SEC on that front.
I think the B1G will add Oregon, Washington and possibly Stanford then wait to see if Clemson and FSU can break up the ACC. We have conceded Texas market and will look to Carolina and Florida markets.

I think the B1G will add Oregon, Washington and possibly Stanford then wait to see if Clemson and FSU can break up the ACC. We have conceded Texas market and will look to Carolina and Florida markets.
Not a bad way to go about it. I personally want the PAC to make it. I like the Rose Bowl set up and history. If Oregon and Washington come to the BIG then its over.

The PAC 12 didn't want Kansas, K-State, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State because they are located in small media markets and those schools didn't meet the PAC 12's academic standards. PAC 12 done in by their arrogance and short sightedness.

The bow ties who run Stanford, Cal, etc., probably wanted none of that.

I would have loved to be in the room when they had to swallow hard and sign off on San Diego State and SMU joining the PAC-12.
This is exactly the answer to the OP's question. You have to understand the bias on the West Coast against anything that does not fit their progressive way of thinking. I'm surprised the old PAC 12 allowed Utah into the conference (Odd fit) but they needed to even things out to stay viable.

I've lived in California most of my seventy one years and have seen the progressive changes this state has gone through some good some bad. The Universities and most all faculties of these institutions on the West Coast are left of center, this is nothing new. Bottom line, it's conservatism vs Liberalism and unfortunately that leaks into sports we love. jmo

Reactions: moralvictories
I bet that any prospects of BYU joining the PAC 12 went out the door when the LDS church got involved in Prop 8 in California around 2008. So, they took Utah instead as a compromise to get some of the sizable LDS audience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT