ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone else think the offense is overly complex?

BugsAreQualityProtein

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 14, 2021
Does anyone else think there are too many formations and personnel packages? I honestly don’t know what kind of offense they want it to be. Is it spread, power run, option, pro style?

Again, even if you start another thread, the issues thus far have not been formation or personnel package based.

There have been drives that should have ended in scores that ended in turnovers, a missed FG, or false starts.

The turnovers haven't been caused by too many formations. The missed FG was not because of formation or personnel. The false starts or other unforced penalties that killed drives weren't due to the offense being too complex.

The issue with the offense has been about simple execution like locking in on a receiver, silent counts and ball security. None of which has to do with complexity, formations or personnel packages.

With 8 turnovers in 2 games the offense has still held the ball for half the game even though they have run 30 less plays.

The offense is a ball control offense designed to shorten the game. It is designed to use the running game and short passes to keep possession away from the other team.

I’ve seen nothing to indicate it’s too complicated for a bunch of older players across the board.
If your offense is too complicated, you’re an idiot. College always implies incorporating young guys ready to play at least for depth, if not for upgrade in talent. Keeping best athletes off the field cus they can’t learn a system is a mistake.
We’ve seen so little from the passing game, I don’t know what could be so complicated.
Running the ball as well looks like mostly simple concepts.

“Play call: you go here, you go there, move fast, be physical.”
Rinse and repeat.
You need a few formations and different plays from each formation to not be predictable.

Overcomplicating the game in college is not wise. Execution is where it’s at.

This game is not nearly as "simple" as many make it to be. I would bet that asking the casual fan if it appears too complicated would mean many different things to each of us. Every team motions, every team moves people around on the LOS to get an advantage, every team uses plays designed to look like another play whether run or pass.

I am with Tuco on this, it is execution. I noticed no one was complaining on Sim's long run that was made possible when the LB went with the motion man and vacated the spot. Was that complicated? What is the definition of complicated?

This game is not nearly as "simple" as many make it to be. I would bet that asking the casual fan if it appears too complicated would mean many different things to each of us. Every team motions, every team moves people around on the LOS to get an advantage, every team uses plays designed to look like another play whether run or pass.

I am with Tuco on this, it is execution. I noticed no one was complaining on Sim's long run that was made possible when the LB went with the motion man and vacated the spot. Was that complicated? What is the definition of complicated?
Sims TD… 2 LBs following Rhamir and 2 DBs letting themselves get blocked by Marcus Washington without much effort from him.

Sims TD… 2 LBs following Rhamir and 2 DBs letting themselves get blocked by Marcus Washington without much effort from him.
Well, one LB went with the motion and the two DBs got caught up in traffic, wasnt much of a bkoc. Sure, Nebraska did such an amazing job of scheming and blocking the biggest play of the day. The one and only.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Catching shotgun snaps isn't complex. It's basic. Not staring down receivers isn't complex. It should be developed by about 10th grade for anyone aspiring to play QB at a high level.

Knowing the snap count isn't complex. It's worked on starting in pop Warner.

Those are the things killing this offense and team currently.

Catching shotgun snaps isn't complex. It's basic. Not staring down receivers isn't complex. It should be developed by about 10th grade for anyone aspiring to play QB at a high level.

Knowing the snap count isn't complex. It's worked on starting in pop Warner.

Those are the things killing this offense and team currently.
Preach John Stamos GIF by Fuller House

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Again, even if you start another thread, the issues thus far have not been formation or personnel package based.

There have been drives that should have ended in scores that ended in turnovers, a missed FG, or false starts.

The turnovers haven't been caused by too many formations. The missed FG was not because of formation or personnel. The false starts or other unforced penalties that killed drives weren't due to the offense being too complex.

The issue with the offense has been about simple execution like locking in on a receiver, silent counts and ball security. None of which has to do with complexity, formations or personnel packages.

With 8 turnovers in 2 games the offense has still held the ball for half the game even though they have run 30 less plays.

The offense is a ball control offense designed to shorten the game. It is designed to use the running game and short passes to keep possession away from the other team.

2 fumbles were literally caused by the formation against Colorado.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
or timing.. we were running a lot of mis-direction and the timing wasn't right.. not really complex, but wasn't practiced enough for sure.

No they were caused by using the silent count. How does a formation cause a fumble?

Nebraska used motion all day against Colorado. On 2 occasions the center snapped the ball when the motion person was directly behind him. Those fumbles were caused due to the timing of the snap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT