ADVERTISEMENT

Do you believe this team is better than the 2016 team?

Without a doubt. Mentally and physically tougher in every way.

And I say that as someone who gives that 2016 team more credit than most.
The seniors are the ones that truly lead that team and helped punch above its talent level. It was also an emotional year for the team rallying behind each other after Sam Foltz death.

No question. How couldn't they be? Guy Smiley was our coach and he was soft as marshmallow spread.
That team competed, even against good competition, something Bo's teams failed to do time and time again. Kind of got screwed by the back to back road games to Madison and Columbus, with Columbus being an absolute massacre. Hopefully we don't see the same thing this year as we will absolutely spend ourselves beating Indiana and then have to re-roll and go on the road the next week to play OSU...absolute Bullshit. This team hasn't been pressed at all and their leader is a true freshman...which is kind of sad for the offensive side of the ball...like there literally isn't another offensive player who carries more weight or competence than a kid that showed up in the spring.

We appear embarrassingly more talented than that 2016 team, I’m having a hard time even remembering who are main players were besides Armstrong and Nate Gerry(who was a dipshit who was ineligible for the bowl game)

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Ummh, yah!!! Ty and Nash alone are a huge improvement.

We have Big Ten officials this game. Predicting 6-7 holding calls on the Illini at least. If not, Rhule and company are not doing there jobs showing film of the Colorado game.

Yes, quite a bit better.
My son was living in Cal at the time and I think we were about 7-0 and ranked in the Top Ten and he asked me how good we were and I told him that team is a fraud to be #7. And they were.

Its too early to tell about this team, but I sense this team is a little better than we think.

Our schedule has lined up so interesting for this season, it seems its allowing us to answer long time questions that have lingered for years. The week to week opponents are helping us to address issues based on their style of play and how we may/may not adjust.

That team competed, even against good competition, something Bo's teams failed to do time and time again. Kind of got screwed by the back to back road games to Madison and Columbus, with Columbus being an absolute massacre. Hopefully we don't see the same thing this year as we will absolutely spend ourselves beating Indiana and then have to re-roll and go on the road the next week to play OSU...absolute Bullshit. This team hasn't been pressed at all and their leader is a true freshman...which is kind of sad for the offensive side of the ball...like there literally isn't another offensive player who carries more weight or competence than a kid that showed up in the spring.
"something Bo's teams failed to do time and time again".

Head Coaching Experience
2013, Nebraska, 9-4, won 24-19 over Georgia in Gator Bowl
2012, Nebraska, 10-4, lost 45-31 to Georgia in Capital One Bowl
2011, Nebraska, 9-4, lost 30-13 to South Carolina in Capital One Bowl
2010, Nebraska, 10-4, lost 19-7 to Washington in Holiday Bowl
2009, Nebraska, 10-4, won 33-0 over Arizona in Holiday Bowl
2008, Nebraska, 9-4, won 26-21 over Clemson in Gator Bowl

I think most fans would be very happy with a 9-4 record this year-Bo's WORST record over 6 seasons.

Reactions: EastOregonHusker
For what ever reason why would someone want to compare this year’s team to the 2016 Riley team who was boat races by 2 opponents.

The Oline coach Cav had a good season. That Oline was put together with duct tape and baling wire. Tommie was a warrior and I would have like to have seen what he could have done against Tennessee had he not been injured. There is more talent on the present team, but the league is also much better.

Reactions: ADV1 and headcard
One thing I’ll never forget about that season, and it was solely on the coaches and the way they were preparing the team. After the Iowa game that year (where we were really behind the 8-ball with a backup QB on the road), Mark Banker made the infamous comment that Iowa’s practices “must be like bloodbaths”. And I remember thinking: “Hell no; that’s supposed to be OUR identity! That’s ALWAYS been our identity!” And this sinking feeling that suddenly, we were the soft ones.

THAT’s what Matt Rhule and Tony White are taking us back to: our roots. Who we are as a program. Win or lose, opponents are going to leave each game knowing that they played Nebraska, and feeling it in every bone in their body. Yeah, yeah, that’s probably corny, but I don’t care; it’s one of the things I love most about the resurgence we’re seeing.

"something Bo's teams failed to do time and time again".

Head Coaching Experience
2013, Nebraska, 9-4, won 24-19 over Georgia in Gator Bowl
2012, Nebraska, 10-4, lost 45-31 to Georgia in Capital One Bowl
2011, Nebraska, 9-4, lost 30-13 to South Carolina in Capital One Bowl
2010, Nebraska, 10-4, lost 19-7 to Washington in Holiday Bowl
2009, Nebraska, 10-4, won 33-0 over Arizona in Holiday Bowl
2008, Nebraska, 9-4, won 26-21 over Clemson in Gator Bowl

I think most fans would be very happy with a 9-4 record this year-Bo's WORST record over 6 seasons.
You can't compare 2024 expectation with the 2014 expectations. With 20/20 hindsight, of course everyone would be happy with his record. But in 2014, Nebraska was losing nearly every game they played against ranked opponents. Pelini had peaked and Nebraska needed a change in leadership. But to write, most fans would be very happy with a 9-4 record in 2024 is a flawed argument.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
One thing I’ll never forget about that season, and it was solely on the coaches and the way they were preparing the team. After the Iowa game that year (where we were really behind the 8-ball with a backup QB on the road), Mark Banker made the infamous comment that Iowa’s practices “must be like bloodbaths”. And I remember thinking: “Hell no; that’s supposed to be OUR identity! That’s ALWAYS been our identity!” And this sinking feeling that suddenly, we were the soft ones.

THAT’s what Matt Rhule and Tony White are taking us back to: our roots. Who we are as a program. Win or lose, opponents are going to leave each game knowing that they played Nebraska, and feeling it in every bone in their body. Yeah, yeah, that’s probably corny, but I don’t care; it’s one of the things I love most about the resurgence we’re seeing.
I remember reading the Sunday paper and going straight to what others said about he game on Saturday. For the opposing team, you knew they were beat up and yes, that should was and is again our identity - physical (win or lose).

Reactions: Frozone
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT