ADVERTISEMENT

Do the captains need to be re-evaluated

msjgroup

Walk On
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2016
This article makes you question if players follow teammates that perform or teammates that are the best talkers. Frost said this week that JD barely talks. Do you think he’d make a good leader based on his on field performance or is he too quiet? Foster certainly is a great talker but boy do I get upset every time he misses a block. I personally prefer silent leaders.
https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...aptain-status-cornhuskers-following-0-4-start

Reactions: red scowl
This article makes you question if players follow teammates that perform or teammates that are the best talkers. Frost said this week that JD barely talks. Do you think he’d make a good leader based on his on field performance or is he too quiet? Foster certainly is a great talker but boy do I get upset every time he misses a block. I personally prefer silent leaders.
https://athlonsports.com/college-fo...aptain-status-cornhuskers-following-0-4-start
Why are you beating this drum? This is the second thread you've started on this topic.

Why are you beating this drum? This is the second thread you've started on this topic.
I think you’re wrong. I’ve never started a thread about captains. First time even seeing this article. You could just ignore threads that are of no interest to you.

Reactions: husker2612
I think they need to have both. A good leader needs to be able to communicate effectively but also need to lead by example.

Reactions: msjgroup
I think you’re wrong. I’ve never started a thread about captains. First time even seeing this article. You could just ignore threads that are of no interest to you.
Your 90s wisc post is the same link as this about captains. Assuming that is what he was referring to .

So, if we change our captains, we will start winning.

Coaching doesn’t matter as long as the captains’ picks are solid.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yes or No, who care's. There isn't anything you or anyone else can do about it. I can almost guarantee that if any of these coaches read this crap they not only laugh at spuds like but also the drivel you and others post! See you in the funny papers spudly! LMFAO!!!

Yes or No, who care's. There isn't anything you or anyone else can do about it. I can almost guarantee that if any of these coaches read this crap they not only laugh at spuds like but also the drivel you and others post! See you in the funny papers spudly! LMFAO!!!
Haha! You’re funny.

Correct, the best leaders aren't always the best players, and vice versa. Leaders need to reflect the values that the coaches are trying to instill upon the team. Yes, they have to lead by example, but they also need to be able to motivate verbally as well. Not everyone leads the same way, and not everyone can be led the same way. Great leaders know that and can adapt to each person they are leading.

As far as if we need to captains, I have no idea. Are any of our 4 not 150% bought in and attempting to lead change? If they get benched, do they get sour towards the team, or are they right there teaching and cheering on their replacement.

Edit: Also, our captains simply CANNOT be our only leaders. Unity of Purpose. Everyone needs to be driving to the same vision. Once we get to that point, captains are just figureheads, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Reactions: msjgroup
I know people are searching for answers....it has zero to do with captains. In addition, it has nothing to do with who is receiving blackshirts or the music for the tunnel walk or any other game day tradition.

I disagree with the Tunnel Walk music - Play the first minute of "the Greatest Show" with some cool football videos and we don't lose another game.

Reactions: WHCSC and timnsun
Wholeheartedly agree - NU needs to appoint some damn captains who can block and tackle!

And then find several more players who can block and tackle. Then this changing captains thing will definitely bear some fruit.

Correct, the best leaders aren't always the best players, and vice versa. Leaders need to reflect the values that the coaches are trying to instill upon the team. Yes, they have to lead by example, but they also need to be able to motivate verbally as well. Not everyone leads the same way, and not everyone can be led the same way. Great leaders know that and can adapt to each person they are leading.

As far as if we need to captains, I have no idea. Are any of our 4 not 150% bought in and attempting to lead change? If they get benched, do they get sour towards the team, or are they right there teaching and cheering on their replacement.

Edit: Also, our captains simply CANNOT be our only leaders. Unity of Purpose. Everyone needs to be driving to the same vision. Once we get to that point, captains are just figureheads, nothing more, nothing less.
All very good points.

Foster shouldn't be a Captain. He talks alot of media friendly bullshit. Farmer and his national championship, egotistical quarter 7oo lb squats are garbage. Get a powerlifting representative from one of the institutions, before you claim weight.

This is something that pisses me off. There are alot of different ways you move weight. Do you have a suit, are you tainted, are you natural. The lifts differ also.

We are weaker than Michigan and Wisconsin We are not over-powering anyone we play this year. The s&c talk pisses me off because they think we're morons. WERE the greatest fans, but you're going to change the composition of the players bodies after years of futility, in one year? Losses come with truth.

Tired of the bullshit. Our team is weak.

Reactions: DeadRed402
Foster shouldn't be a Captain. He talks alot of media friendly bullshit. Farmer and his national championship, egotistical quarter 7oo lb squats are garbage. Get a powerlifting representative from one of the institutions, before you claim weight.

This is something that pisses me off. There are alot of different ways you move weight. Do you have a suit, are you tainted, are you natural. The lifts differ also.

We are weaker than Michigan and Wisconsin We are not over-powering anyone we play this year. The s&c talk pisses me off because they think we're morons. WERE the greatest fans, but you're going to change the composition of the players bodies after years of futility, in one year? Losses come with truth.

Tired of the bullshit. Our team is weak.
Whoa! You’re really pissed.

somehow you've managed to keep bumping your own pos thread now for several days and kept it alive....impressive considering the totally irrelevant content.
Why? Because you don’t define what’s irrelevant to everyone on the board. And somehow even you came back for a peak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT