ADVERTISEMENT

Disagreement over Navy Seal consultation?

They are taking about it on 590 am right now. Sounds like an attempt to push blame around. They are going to talk to the writer at 5 pm.

Listening to it, I do wonder why a head coach at Nebraska can’t use outside consultants if they wish.

I’m not saying this is the cause of the BB team problem. The policy just seems to be micromanaging.

Maybe Righins did help the mind set of the players and the whole team.

But mind set isn’t responsible for the terrible shooting percentages we have seen lately.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Writer said he’s been trying to get the story ran in the paper for 10 days. So it’s not a reaction to the Michigan loss.

Listening to it, I do wonder why a head coach at Nebraska can’t use outside consultants if they wish.

I’m not saying this is the cause of the BB team problem. The policy just seems to be micromanaging.
Does coach frost have a outside consultant?

Does coach frost have a outside consultant?

What I got from listening is that Frost and Cook have used outside consultants at times, but Miles was forced to end his use of this Navy Seal, which cost nothing.

dont have access.
probably part n parcel if the ensuing pile on.

that being said, i just dont see bball players responding well to Navy Seals.

jmho.

Does Tim Miles have compromising photos of people at the World-Herald? I swear he could go 0-30 and they'd blame it on the administration and defend Miles.

Miles didn't need to bring a Navy Seal, he needed to bringing in someone who could teach his players how to run an actual offense.

Hard to read any article anywhere without considering who is really behind it given the state of journalism today. No one looks good here.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
I'm sorry. Football has 100+ kids. BB has 14 maybe more and the coach to player ratio is what? BB coaches have a lot more one on one time with these kids. Most college coaches SHOULD have had buku hours of classes of psychology on how to deal with kids. IF the solution is we need to bring in consultants, we've got a problem. TheresT been way too much free reign given to these guys and also a product of not developing younger players and trying to fix with transfers (other people's problems that they were glad to get rid of). Ultimately, poor leadership in coaching from the top down.

Last edited:
When it comes to Miles, I didn't think any WH reporter would approach the level of unbridled ass-kissing that we saw from Barfknecht. But Chris Heady has puckered right up.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
It could be that when Moos showed up he was shocked by how big the athletic department was and can't see the need for outside consulting when there are so many people in the department already. He mentioned the size of the department a few times in talks with the media and his other big priority last year besides canning Riley was organizing the department so there were chains of command. Put yourself in his shoes. You just signed monthly checks for 18 sports psychologists and then one of your coaches requests outside sports psychological help. And I agree with him also that for the fantastic salaries some of the coaches make compared to most people, they ought to be able to handle the psychological end of it as one of their duties assigned.

It could be that when Moos showed up he was shocked by how big the athletic department was and can't see the need for outside consulting when there are so many people in the department already. He mentioned the size of the department a few times in talks with the media and his other big priority last year besides canning Riley was organizing the department so there were chains of command. Put yourself in his shoes. You just signed monthly checks for 18 sports psychologists and then one of your coaches requests outside sports psychological help. And I agree with him also that for the fantastic salaries some of the coaches make compared to most people, they ought to be able to handle the psychological end of it as one of their duties assigned.
If someone wants to criticize Moos for the policy, so be it. But making this out to be a major factor in the basketball team's meltdown is just nonsense. First Miles goes on a podcast right before an important game to blubber about how he got hosed out of a 2018 NCAA bid. Now his personal stenographer writes this load of crap right after the team gets absolutely dominated in every phase of the Michigan game. Way to be accountable, Timmy! Just because your team completely quits on you every other season, you can't possibly be at fault.

I believe Eichorst was the one who started the policy about using only department paid psychologists and Moos continued it.

1. The SEAL stuff is really played out and you know why it works for the SEALS? Because their lives depend on that stuff.

2. If a coach wants it (assuming the cost is not a problem) he should get it.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
1. The SEAL stuff is really played out and you know why it works for the SEALS? Because their lives depend on that stuff.

2. If a coach wants it (assuming the cost is not a problem) he should get it.
The point of the article IMO was that there are in fact things that other major college basketball coaches get to use and NU basketball doesn't. Many of the successful basketball programs allow their head coach to hire an outside counselor of their choosing to work with their team. NU currently does not for basketball. They have let that happen for football and volleyball. The next head coach of NU basketball needs to be able to bring in who he wants then there's no question about who success or failure lays at the feet of. I don't know if losing an outside motivational guy hurt this team this year or not, but having one sure couldn't have hurt. They look like a bunch of guys moping around feeling bad about how poorly things are going for them. People want to say we need to open up the checkbook for a name head coach. It appears to me that there are some other things we could open up the checkbook for such as recruiting that might be as important as the name of the head coach.

IMO it's becoming clearer that there are some miles suppoerters in bedded in the athletic department who are doing anything they can to save miles, first it was the supposedly Moos drinking/drunken episodes now we're hearing this crap. These people along with miles needs go be fired, no place in the athletic department for that stuff

I guess people need stories to sell papers. Miles is a walking disaster as a coach. He has been since he has been here. Should have been gone 3 years ago.

The worst is when he speaks at a press conference and talks about not understanding his teams mentality or how to fix it. That is an easy question to answer: fire the guy in charge. Part of his job is motivating his team.

Is it that they just aren’t allowed to use external resources, or is it that they prefer them to use internal, and if they want to use an outside source, they need to clear it first.

The point of the article IMO was that there are in fact things that other major college basketball coaches get to use and NU basketball doesn't. Many of the successful basketball programs allow their head coach to hire an outside counselor of their choosing to work with their team. NU currently does not for basketball. They have let that happen for football and volleyball. The next head coach of NU basketball needs to be able to bring in who he wants then there's no question about who success or failure lays at the feet of. I don't know if losing an outside motivational guy hurt this team this year or not, but having one sure couldn't have hurt. They look like a bunch of guys moping around feeling bad about how poorly things are going for them. People want to say we need to open up the checkbook for a name head coach. It appears to me that there are some other things we could open up the checkbook for such as recruiting that might be as important as the name of the head coach.

Sort of...but if I am a boss and I have a guy that I am about to fire...I don't pony up for him to attend the big sales meet and greet in Vegas...

The team started off great, they lost one of their top guys, they have no bench, what happened is exactly what happens to teams that have two good players and one gets hurt.

I guess people need stories to sell papers. Miles is a walking disaster as a coach. He has been since he has been here. Should have been gone 3 years ago.

The worst is when he speaks at a press conference and talks about not understanding his teams mentality or how to fix it. That is an easy question to answer: fire the guy in charge. Part of his job is motivating his team.

This 100%

See...they are DYING for people to subscribe. They can't attack Frost, they can't attack Cook, no one cares about women's basketball, mens hoops is done so you need something to write about...so you do a story on the drunk AD that is passed out at local bars...and then a story on the AD being a big meanie.

To expand upon these thoughts, the OWH article is at best just an example of misfunction within the program. A major P5 basketball program with our resource availability doesn't fail at a consistent rate like ours on only one data point. At the 10,000 foot view, I'd imagine a CEO would see multiple issues that create our lack of success. Miles is just one data point. Recruiting. Goal Alignment. Culture. Scheduling. Conditioning. Education. Branding. Commitment. I have to believe that you don't fail, like we have for the last 40 years, without systemic issues that overwhelm achievement. I don't know what they all are, but I know they are there.

Yes, Miles has had enough time to prove himself, and it's not getting done. I'm not a "fire the coach" kind of person, but it's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer his time here should come to an end. A new coach isn't going to solve the problem alone. That's what everyone in our Athletic Department needs to deal with.

There are some issues in the ath dept but Jack Riggins is acting like a jaded ex girlfriend. He went on to another website and started whining like a hild because the ath dept told him to go away. He started a thread saying the b-ball team would have a better W/L record than they do if he was still there doing whatever he does.

He throws around the Navy SEAL crap as if that's the sole qualifier for him being there. A number of posters in the thread confronted him about game strategy and schemes but he ignored them because he doesn't know the game of basketball. He poked the bear and the WH ran with a story to get clicks and create to create a controversy knowing miles is getting the axe.

If I were in the ath dept I would allow the next b-ball coach to use consultants but Riggins would not be allowed anywhere near the campus.

Heady talked about this a lot with Severe on the bottom line. But it's a moot point at this time because it's a foregone conclusion that Miles will be fired regardless of how the team does the rest of the season. As a proponent of firing Miles a long time ago I will say there is administrative stuff that was not afforded to Tim Miles that was afforded to Football and Frost and other basketball coaches in the B1G. If Nebraska were an NFL team Scott Frost would be the general manager/head coach. he can hire and fire whoever he wants whenever he wants. Whenever a need arises Scott's needs are immediately met. The big boy coaches in the world of college football and basketball get these privileges. Tim never did so if he wants to make excuses that he wasn't able to succeed because he couldn't hire his own strength coach, psychologist, or nutritionist and cannot fire/hire assistants at his own discretion those excuses are poor but valid. Bill Moos I imagine realized that we are not spending enough money to compete in basketball (we are 11th in spending in the B1G) and could have invested heavily in Miles and the program after last year. As we all know Moos kicked the can down the road because he wasn't sold on Miles as being the guy. It ended up being the right decision and Moos will now get to find his guy and give him all the power and control that Frost has with football with an expanded budget to hopefully get this program over the hump.

If someone wants to criticize Moos for the policy, so be it. But making this out to be a major factor in the basketball team's meltdown is just nonsense. First Miles goes on a podcast right before an important game to blubber about how he got hosed out of a 2018 NCAA bid. Now his personal stenographer writes this load of crap right after the team gets absolutely dominated in every phase of the Michigan game. Way to be accountable, Timmy! Just because your team completely quits on you every other season, you can't possibly be at fault.

It's typical OWH BS...I can't believe anyone even pays attention to it...that rag is the worst....they are out for Moos and Frost is on their Radar.

They employ fat Sammy...enough said.

Reactions: redcol and GILL T
So today Shatel writes a column gushing about what a great article this was, and he says this: "Of course this is not why Nebraska's season went south. We all know that. Miles knows that."

And yet the headline the WH chose to put on the Heady article was:
Did Nebraska basketball's downfall begin with a disagreement over consultations from Navy SEAL?

I guess I'm confused. If "we all know" this isn't why the season went south, the headline doesn't really make any sense whatsoever, does it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT