ADVERTISEMENT

Different schedule in 2020...

Dean Pope

Head Coach
Oct 11, 2001
Without digressing into another COVID 19 discussion, let's talk about what football teams can realistically accomplish this fall. Throw out the extremes & outlier possibilities for now. Safety precautions most assuredly will need to take place in hopes that there are games played. TV ratings will be ski high.

I would assume fewer practices, fewer players on sidelines, frequent testing and (1) no fans or (2) limited number of fans.

What do you predict the schedule will look like? Play at a neutral sites and smaller venues? Make a new schedule entirely? Fewer games? And if we play fewer games like 8 games instead of 12, would it make sense to play a couple local JV games and put those on TV?

Without digressing into another COVID 19 discussion, let's talk about what football teams can realistically accomplish this fall. Throw out the extremes & outlier possibilities for now. Safety precautions most assuredly will need to take place in hopes that there are games played. TV ratings will be ski high.

I would assume fewer practices, fewer players on sidelines, frequent testing and (1) no fans or (2) limited number of fans.

What do you predict the schedule will look like? Play at a neutral sites and smaller venues? Make a new schedule entirely? Fewer games? And if we play fewer games like 8 games instead of 12, would it make sense to play a couple local JV games and put those on TV?

I'll bite.

I'll tackle the no fans or limited fans. I have no clue how the athletic department would handle limited fans. Who gets to use their tickets and who doesn't? Priority points? No student tickets? I've read that some are going to app tickets only. Not sure that really solves much. Not sure how feasible "no fans" is either. Only revenue would be TV and radio contracts. We need 7 home games per year. That's a lot of Pepsi, runza and Val's sales that would go poof with no fans. Not to mention having to refund or issue vouchers as credit for next year to boosters and season ticket holders. My math says around $75 million

Reactions: Dean Pope
I guess they could go to the ticket holders and ask them to furlough half of their tickets. If you have 2, you get 1 etc rounding downward. If you have 1, you get none.

Rutgers, Maryland, northwestern, Michigan and Michigan St get no home games

Reactions: bluenrg

I see where the Wisconsin Supreme court struck down the stay at home order by the Governor and bars are open with no SD adhered to. As the summer moves forward we may see more of this. It will be interesting to see what BIG comes up with, but I'm on the side of partial full stadiums (40%) and limited team members on the sidelines

I see where the Wisconsin Supreme court struck down the stay at home order by the Governor and bars are open with no SD adhered to. As the summer moves forward we may see more of this. It will be interesting to see what BIG comes up with, but I'm on the side of partial full stadiums (40%) and limited team members on the sidelines
Why limited team members? Young healthy athletic people are exactly who we want to have get this.

Dr Fauci dislikes this..
tenor.gif

Why limited team members? Young healthy athletic people are exactly who we want to have get this.
That's one way to look at it, but at this point all I am hearing is to try to limit anyone getting the virus. The prevailing thought I am hearing would include testing all of the players, trainers, etc. once or twice a week. The fewer players suited up would just make everything easier, cheaper, and lower the likelihood of an outbreak on a given team and all of the games being played.

Reactions: not_mantiteo

I think we are going to see some schools not being able to participate. Most coaches have said they would like a minimum of 8 weeks to prepare before the first game. So that means most schools would need to be starting practices right around the 1st or 2nd week of July. Not sure some states will be out of lock down before that. Now this could lead those schools to hold practices and or games in neighboring states that are open. If not, teams in those areas would have no season.
For the rest of the programs I would be shocked if there are full stadiums. I think we see stadiums at most half full probably closer to 1/4 full. With mandatory masks, and temperature checks. How will fans be selected? I think it is going to have to be some sort of first come first serve. Let say we have 25,000 available seats. Tickets go on sale starting every Sunday once they are sold out thats it. Season ticket holders will have to be refunded for the year.
As far as players and staff I assume it will just be essential personnel at games. All others will have to stay home. They will all be tested the morning of or night before. For practices I doubt there will be any limits except for temperature check to get into practices.
Schedules I think they might just play the conf games and not mess with out of conf teams. Maybe try to wrap the season up a month earlier before the potential 2nd wave hits. We may not have a conf or national championship.

Don't shoot the messenger, but a friend with some connections just texted and one rumor is that the top 30% of donors will get first shot. That makes as much sense as anything. It would be hard to tell a big donor that someone who gives nothing gets to go and you don't. Again, that's just a rumor of one possible scenario.

Don't shoot the messenger, but a friend with some connections just texted and one rumor is that the top 30% of donors will get first shot. That makes as much sense as anything. It would be hard to tell a big donor that someone who gives nothing gets to go and you don't. Again, that's just a rumor of one possible scenario.
So under that scenario they would probably use priority points like they do for the seat yourself process, away games and bowl games. I know, what's a bowl game right. Priority points is one of the logical scenario I posted earlier in this thread. Hope that they don't have to go that route. Would rather see it opened up, but if you have that system in place you just as well use it. That's why they have a priority points system

I think we are going to see some schools not being able to participate. Most coaches have said they would like a minimum of 8 weeks to prepare before the first game. So that means most schools would need to be starting practices right around the 1st or 2nd week of July. Not sure some states will be out of lock down before that. Now this could lead those schools to hold practices and or games in neighboring states that are open. If not, teams in those areas would have no season.
For the rest of the programs I would be shocked if there are full stadiums. I think we see stadiums at most half full probably closer to 1/4 full. With mandatory masks, and temperature checks. How will fans be selected? I think it is going to have to be some sort of first come first serve. Let say we have 25,000 available seats. Tickets go on sale starting every Sunday once they are sold out thats it. Season ticket holders will have to be refunded for the year.
As far as players and staff I assume it will just be essential personnel at games. All others will have to stay home. They will all be tested the morning of or night before. For practices I doubt there will be any limits except for temperature check to get into practices.
Schedules I think they might just play the conf games and not mess with out of conf teams. Maybe try to wrap the season up a month earlier before the potential 2nd wave hits. We may not have a conf or national championship.

According to the commisioners interview they are hoping to have a decision in 5-7 weeks, will move forward with whoever can essentially, and hope to have a universally applied 6 week run up to kickoff. So basically July 15th-ish is when they want athletes ready to rock if we start on time. They are supposed to vote on allowing voluntary (no staff interaction) workouts beginning June 1.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/15/ncaa-college-football-return-campus-coronavirus
https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/14/college-football-2020-season-ncaa-future

According to the commisioners interview they are hoping to have a decision in 5-7 weeks, will move forward with whoever can essentially, and hope to have a universally applied 6 week run up to kickoff. So basically July 15th-ish is when they want athletes ready to rock if we start on time. They are supposed to vote on allowing voluntary (no staff interaction) workouts beginning June 1.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/15/ncaa-college-football-return-campus-coronavirus
https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/14/college-football-2020-season-ncaa-future
Voluntary with no staff? I bet Saban is laughing at that.

Wondering if quality of play will be way down across the board

I bet this season will be a one of kind and we will never see it repeated. My guess, we may not see any bowl game, conference title games or National title games. We could see 8-10 games and that’s it. Just enough for the players to do their thing and keep up to speed. Then the 2021 season being the season when everything goes back to normal.

Last edited:
I bet this season will be a one of kind and we will never see it repeated. My guess, we may not see any bowl game, conference title games or National title games. We could see 8-10 games and that’s it. Just enough for the players to do their thing and keep up to speed. Then the 2021 season being the season when everything goes back to normal.
conferences will have title games

playoffs, however, could be impacted not by covid but by idiots at the ncaa head office

conferences will have title games

playoffs, however, could be impacted not by covid but by idiots at the ncaa head office

no clue my man. The way they killed off other title games, I could see conference title games being held off too (if I’m remembering correctly that is). But I honestly don’t know, just a guess. And I could also see it going the way you saying too. Man I can’t wait for this mess to be over with and get back to normal :(

Last edited:
no clue my man. The way they killed off other title games, I could see conference title games being held off too (if I’m remembering correctly that is). But I honestly don’t know, just a guess. And I could also see it going the way you saying too. Man I can’t wait for this mess to be over with and get back to normal :(
the ncaa has no say in whether or not a conference holds a title game. it's 100% entirely up to each conference individually.

as for @scarletred's post, I'm very confident there will be at least 8 conference games played in the B1G.

Reactions: CBurns05
the ncaa has no say in whether or not a conference holds a title game. it's 100% entirely up to each conference individually.

as for @scarletred's post, I'm very confident there will be at least 8 conference games played in the B1G.

right and that’s what I meant. They (BIG 10 conference heads) already did away with the basketball conference title games, they definitely could do the same with football. But honestly I have no clue but I wouldn’t be surprised either way. And I’m 100% with you on at least 7-8 conference games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT