ADVERTISEMENT

Did I hear Frost kinda say...

The_Glove_Man

Senior
Jun 9, 2010
Madison, WI
that Martinez' problems were at least partially because he can't trust that his receivers will be where they're supposed to be? That would indeed make a QB look indecisive. It is as least as believable as the explanation that he isn't absorbing the playbook himself, would explain why he isn't distributing the ball evenly but instead keying on JD, and makes me miss Kade and Stanley.

I went back last night to look at the 3rd pick. The initial thought was what was he doing. He had time and it looked like he just air mailed it... Then after watching Williams route and its hard to tell, but in some ways it looks like AM expected the seam and Williams either quit running or started to break off into the post??? Just my thoughts...

Reactions: chopter
that Martinez' problems were at least partially because he can't trust that his receivers will be where they're supposed to be? That would indeed make a QB look indecisive. It is as least as believable as the explanation that he isn't absorbing the playbook himself, would explain why he isn't distributing the ball evenly but instead keying on JD, and makes me miss Kade and Stanley.
It's year 2, these kinds of things shouldn't be happening. Every player should know the playbook inside and out. Honestly wish this staff would place a little more emphasis on things like knowing the playbook rather than nutrition. Knowledge of the playbook and schemes, etc. is going to have a far bigger and more direct impact than nutrition could ever make. When you start dictating things like diet and you still see mediocre and crap performances all the time, it's a good way to get players second guessing the coaching staff and losing the team.

It's year 2, these kinds of things shouldn't be happening. Every player should know the playbook inside and out. Honestly wish this staff would place a little more emphasis on things like knowing the playbook rather than nutrition. Knowledge of the playbook and schemes, etc. is going to have a far bigger and more direct impact than nutrition could ever make. When you start dictating things like diet and you still see mediocre and crap performances all the time, it's a good way to get players second guessing the coaching staff and losing the team.
You are connecting things that are not related in any way. It’s not a choice between nutrition and knowing your playbook, both are important. How in the world do you think that utilizing proper nutrition is a detriment to knowing the playbook?

You are connecting things that are not related in any way. It’s not a choice between nutrition and knowing your playbook, both are important. How in the world do you think that utilizing proper nutrition is a detriment to knowing the playbook?
With something like nutrition, you're never going to get full buy in no matter what you do. With nutrition, it's very easy to cheat and get by doing the bare minimum. When players are used to doing this with nutrition, you don't think they would do the same thing with learning the playbook? When just as much emphasis is placed on nutrition as on knowing the playbook and players routinely cheat on nutrition, they're likely going to cheat on studying the playbook too.

@oldjar07 I think they run routes based on the look they are getting so I don't think it is so much about the playbook but more on recognition, I could be wrong but I thought that was the case.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Can’t play if you don’t know what to do. Period

I went back last night to look at the 3rd pick. The initial thought was what was he doing. He had time and it looked like he just air mailed it... Then after watching Williams route and its hard to tell, but in some ways it looks like AM expected the seam and Williams either quit running or started to break off into the post??? Just my thoughts...
That is what I saw from the east balcony

Good lord that is heavy to take as a Husker fan. Read between the lines and understand what he is saying there.

Remember it was Frost that basically ushered Jurgens into the starting center role despite coming off of 2? 3? I can't even keep track of how many injuries the kid had, but he's a tweener TE/OL that has never snapped before this year. On top of that, he didn't do much in fall camp and the offense practiced with a different guy and suddenly swapped Jurgens in a week out from the season opener. Okay, there's reason #1 explained and that's on Frost.

Now we're worried about people coming unblocked? Does #1 play into that at all? Okay, there's reason #2 explained and it's on Frost as well.

#3, so we have a ton of WRs that have been in the system for 2 years now and they still don't know where to line up and where to sit in zones and which routes to run? Yikes...

I don't need to bring up the fact that despite all that, there are obvious, gaping, monster holes sitting right in front of #2's face in the read option game. He either is blind or is too scared of getting hit to take the easy yards with the knowledge that a LB or DL is going to hit him hard at the end of the play.

We are officially on RED ALERT.

washington wingback. mills I back, webster full back and martinez running the option. so we have the 4 best runners on the field at the same time

I never thought I would agree with my Iowa fan friends, but Husker fans are crazy.... probably all fan bases are but wow, there is some crazy shit being spouted.... the only red alert is online and Frost is righting the ship. We are better than last year and will be better next year.. relax and let the change happen... wow...

I never thought I would agree with my Iowa fan friends, but Husker fans are crazy.... probably all fan bases are but wow, there is some crazy shit being spouted.... the only red alert is online and Frost is righting the ship. We are better than last year and will be better next year.. relax and let the change happen... wow...

The only red alert is online? Did you watch the game Saturday? Or the Saturday before that? Or the Saturday before that? You get the point I hope...

The only red alert is online? Did you watch the game Saturday? Or the Saturday before that? Or the Saturday before that? You get the point I hope...

People want to drink Kool-Aid. Personally, I threw it up on Saturday.

We need to recruit everywhere and Smothers needs to come in next year thinking he's gonna win the job. Another year of attrition wouldn't hurt either.

Frost should know this. A rebuild is a work in progress until there is progress.

Right now, I see some damn good RBs on this team and that's about it.

Good lord that is heavy to take as a Husker fan. Read between the lines and understand what he is saying there.

Remember it was Frost that basically ushered Jurgens into the starting center role despite coming off of 2? 3? I can't even keep track of how many injuries the kid had, but he's a tweener TE/OL that has never snapped before this year. On top of that, he didn't do much in fall camp and the offense practiced with a different guy and suddenly swapped Jurgens in a week out from the season opener. Okay, there's reason #1 explained and that's on Frost.

Now we're worried about people coming unblocked? Does #1 play into that at all? Okay, there's reason #2 explained and it's on Frost as well.

#3, so we have a ton of WRs that have been in the system for 2 years now and they still don't know where to line up and where to sit in zones and which routes to run? Yikes...

I don't need to bring up the fact that despite all that, there are obvious, gaping, monster holes sitting right in front of #2's face in the read option game. He either is blind or is too scared of getting hit to take the easy yards with the knowledge that a LB or DL is going to hit him hard at the end of the play.

We are officially on RED ALERT.

Yo Chicken Little....the sky is falling. Red alert, give me a break. A piss poor our game against possibly this years Nat Champs and suddenly our coach and QB sucks...SMH

Reactions: timnsun and OzzyLvr
I thought the same thing. Frost quote on the wr seems to maybe indicate this as well.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yo Chicken Little....the sky is falling. Red alert, give me a break. A piss poor our game against possibly this years Nat Champs and suddenly our coach and QB sucks...SMH
Other teams have been just as impressive as Ohio State. Oklahoma, Georgia, LSU are all at that level. You've got Alabama at #1. Clemson has struggled a little bit early, but you know they'll be ready to go come playoff time. OSU has a good chance of making the playoffs, yet they have a very tough schedule this year and could slip up. OSU has been very impressive this year and along with a few other teams may have narrowed the gap with Alabama and Clemson. But they are a long way from national title favorites.

Other teams have been just as impressive as Ohio State. Oklahoma, Georgia, LSU are all at that level. You've got Alabama at #1. Clemson has struggled a little bit early, but you know they'll be ready to go come playoff time. OSU has a good chance of making the playoffs, yet they have a very tough schedule this year and could slip up. OSU has been very impressive this year and along with a few other teams may have narrowed the gap with Alabama and Clemson. But they are a long way from national title favorites.
3rd best odds right now, +450, behind bama (+200) and clemson (+225)

wade? Im not good with names abdula took 2 years, still haven't got suh's last name down.
I seriously don’t know what your getting at. Could be Wandale, I guess, but he hardly fits the mold of a fullback, like your mystery guy.

1736-4101690399-608x342-show-thumbnail.jpg

He has all the makings of a great fullback.

And we wonder why we aren’t seeing more receivers in there.
I wonder why. Right now they have on the roster:

Robinson
Spielman
Nance
McQuitty
Houston
Woodyard
Noa
Chase
Hunt
Williams
Jones
Folkers
Banker
Chaffin
Jablonski
Liewer
Warner
Honas

If only Spielman and Warner can grasp the offense to be in the right place, thereby making the QB have no confidence to spread the ball around, then the offense is too complicated, it makes no sense, or teaching it is poor. That's on Walters. Its not like every other college team, and even most high school teams don't have only two guys who know where they should be.

I wonder why. Right now they have on the roster:

Robinson
Spielman
Nance
McQuitty
Houston
Woodyard
Noa
Chase
Hunt
Williams
Jones
Folkers
Banker
Chaffin
Jablonski
Liewer
Warner
Honas

If only Spielman and Warner can grasp the offense to be in the right place, thereby making the QB have no confidence to spread the ball around, then the offense is too complicated, it makes no sense, or teaching it is poor. That's on Walters. Its not like every other college team, and even most high school teams don't have only two guys who know where they should be.
I agree, there needs to be a lot more accountability on knowing the playbook and knowing your assignment. It's not just the receivers either. The O line doesn't know their assignments a lot of times, especially on blitzes. The qb doesn't make the right reads on zone read plays. I've hardly ever seen Martinez audible a play if the other team is showing blitz and the called play is going to get stuffed before it even starts. On defense, the linebackers don't seem to know their coverage assignments a good chunk of the time and I see a running back slip out into the flat with nobody accounting for that. The safeties and cornerbacks have blown assignments at times too.

It shouldn't be some amazing thing and only the brainier players on the team know the full playbook. Every single player should know the playbook and their assignments inside and out.

Reactions: vs540husker
4 big issues with our WR core.

1) They are young. We really really miss upperclassmen leadership. Stanley Morgan was so critical to AM success last year. I guess people still don’t realize how much having a difference maker at Wide Out can make a QB look great.

2) they have no size.

3)We basically have a roster full of slot receivers right now. We need some kind of diversity. Even Noa should be a slot. This is some what ridiculous. You wouldn’t take a roster full of only Mike LB’ers and expect to field a good 3-4 D. Yes the old staff left a mess at WR. Coach Dubs went for some homeruns in recruiting at the end and struck out. That’s hurting us somewhat now. But I have a feeling we’d be seeing some more of the younger guys stepping up if we had a proper WR coach

4) and the most important thing of all in my opinion, is our WR coach to be splitting duties as an offensive coordinator. Coach Frost has to nip this in the bud next season. Our WRs are struggling. We aren’t using enough bodies because enough aren’t game ready. I think Walters is having major difficulty multitasking. Last year was easy. He had a pretty solid developed product to put on the field. He could slack as a position coach. He can’t afford to do that this year but obviously hasn’t done enough to get our kids ready.

What about Honas? He had a couple catches last year, are you telling me he’s regressed so bad he can’t be in to help? Then the tight ends, why aren’t we utilizing them more in the passing game?
There’s way too much ? here to put it all on learning the scheme.

What about Honas? He had a couple catches last year, are you telling me he’s regressed so bad he can’t be in to help? Then the tight ends, why aren’t we utilizing them more in the passing game?
There’s way too much ? here to put it all on learning the scheme.

the TEs blow

the WRs are small

the OL can't block

not a great formula

4 big issues with our WR core.

1) They are young. We really really miss upperclassmen leadership. Stanley Morgan was so critical to AM success last year. I guess people still don’t realize how much having a difference maker at Wide Out can make a QB look great.

2) they have no size.

3)We basically have a roster full of slot receivers right now. We need some kind of diversity. Even Noa should be a slot. This is some what ridiculous. You wouldn’t take a roster full of only Mike LB’ers and expect to field a good 3-4 D. Yes the old staff left a mess at WR. Coach Dubs went for some homeruns in recruiting at the end and struck out. That’s hurting us somewhat now. But I have a feeling we’d be seeing some more of the younger guys stepping up if we had a proper WR coach

4) and the most important thing of all in my opinion, is our WR coach to be splitting duties as an offensive coordinator. Coach Frost has to nip this in the bud next season. Our WRs are struggling. We aren’t using enough bodies because enough aren’t game ready. I think Walters is having major difficulty multitasking. Last year was easy. He had a pretty solid developed product to put on the field. He could slack as a position coach. He can’t afford to do that this year but obviously hasn’t done enough to get our kids ready.

Coach Dub is still in Lincoln, why not ask him to come in as an offensive analyst and have a dedicated guy work directly with the WRs?

Reactions: spinner4
So, if part of the problem is the WRs not recognizing the defense and chosing their best option, why not just say, YOU RUN THIS ROUTE, and take away the option until that trust is built.

Get ready to be shocked:

The WR are not playing very well AND Martinez is not throwing very well.

There have been multiple comments about guys not getting open for him. But also he looked like he was trying to drum up business for spine surgeons against IL. Sailing high, late balls under that zone and getting his guys just lit up. It was no wonder Noa alligator armed the cover 2 beater along the sideline. He saw JD and Wan'dale get crushed.

Martinez has been late with the ball going back to last year. Watch some UCF cut-ups of Milton getting the ball out. He's fake, hop to switch his hips, fire.

Martinez has been a tick late a lot of times even when his guy is open, he's waiting to SEE him open before he throws the ball, rather than trusting the route and his read of the coverage and throwing him open.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT