ADVERTISEMENT

Dez Fitzpatrick, David Reese, and Tony Butler

I post more often on the national board than I do here and the question of blue bloods always pops up and Nebraska is always listed in as a blue blood. I'm sorry your perception on the matter sees it another way but blue blood status doesn't just disappear over night or even over a 15 year period. USC, a team who many consider a blue blood of all blue bloods has many mediocre seasons yet their status isnt questioned. USC is a team with a history of mediocre seasons with great seasons sprinkled in but they've done it over a long period and achieved the mountain top plenty of times to cement them as a blue blood.

If you have problems with Nebraska being a blue blood because of a stretch of mediocrity then I'd feel sorry for you if you were a USC fan.

I post more often on the national board than I do here and the question of blue bloods always pops up and Nebraska is always listed in as a blue blood. I'm sorry your perception on the matter sees it another way but blue blood status doesn't just disappear over night or even over a 15 year period. USC, a team who many consider a blue blood of all blue bloods has many mediocre seasons yet their status isnt questioned. USC is a team with a history of mediocre seasons with great seasons sprinkled in but they've done it over a long period and achieved the mountain top plenty of times to cement them as a blue blood.

If you have problems with Nebraska being a blue blood because of a stretch of mediocrity then I'd feel sorry for you if you were a USC fan.
Or Alabama, or Michigan or Notre Dame or Oklahoma.

Or Alabama, or Michigan or Notre Dame or Oklahoma.
Good call on Notre Dame... They haven't won a championship since 1988, and when was the last time they won a conference championship? Yet they're still considered blue bloods... Cool

Last edited:
Just 3 years ago, Stewart Mandel broke down all of the major conference schools into 4 categories, the top of which was "blue bloods". The "blue bloods" according to him were Alabama, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Texas and USC. He had also done the rankings five years before that, and the only difference between that one and the more recent one was that he had dropped Tennessee off the list. Would another ranking now put us out? Maybe, but I doubt it.
Those that are so quick to declare we aren't a blue blood anymore simply do not understand what it means. It isn't about who is good right now. It isn't about who has been good over the last few years, 5 years or 10 years. It is about big-time college football, the places with lots of tradition-where any college football fan can rattle off the names of great coaches and players who have been at that school, know their traditions, their fight songs, and their helmets stand for something. Places where the fans care and show up win or lose. The kind of place where college football fans tell you it's good when your team is doing well whether they are a fan of your team or not.
I've had several people tell me over the last several years who are not Nebraska fans that they want to see Nebraska do well because it's good for college football. People don't say that about teams like Iowa. That's what a college football blue blood is.

Reactions: timnsun

I stated I thought we were a blue blood. I believe we still are. I was openly wondering if the rest of CFB fans feel that way, looks like many of them do. Which of course is awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT