ADVERTISEMENT

Defrosted

poundth3rock

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2007
Kansas
One of many big problems in Frost era was what appeared to be lack of guys meeting recruiting expectations along with lack of any apparent development in careers once they arrived on campus with many guys appearing to get worse. Maybe the poster child for this was how much better Wandale Robinson was once Kentucky properly utilized him. One of many strong areas with Rhule seems to be the ability to identify guys that can play and development of guys we do have.

Looking at guys on current two deep the following four players appear to be fully defrosted.

1. Robinson - In another post i noted that while he was really big he didn't play with great leverage and he kind of looked like he had cement shoes on. We actually had posters state in pregame threads that he should have snaps limited for faster players as he would have not chance to tackle Shueder. In first two games he has 3 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, a pass deflection and absolutely tormented Sanders in game last night. From a mobility perspective, almost seems like a different guy.

2. Corcoran/Benhart - Prior to season I thought the two biggest concerns were LT and Placekicker. Through two games I have not noticed Corcoran which is probably a great thing. He had a good PFF grade against UTEP and likely will against CU. From what I remember, Corcoran scored a zero passing grade in either 21-22. This year he has been above average P5 LT and feel like we are OK there if he stays health. When you look back to where Corcoran/Benhart were in 2022 it is really both and indictment on Frost and a feather in cap of this staff to be able to defrost these guys so effectively.

3. Gbayor - I did not expect Gbayor to be challenging for our best LB. Currently with 11 tackles and 2.5 tackles for loss and a pass break up he is pushing Bullock for that spot with very similar stats. Overall LB play of Bullocks, Gbayor and Sherman has been impressive. The speed Sherman showed coming of that block and sacking Sanders was not something I didn't think he was capable of. This group will just get better as Shavers and Mgahee are integrated into rotation and one of the reason White is so high on the defense as a whole. Overall, LB play has been fully defrosted. Amazing what happens when you hire the best available DC and not the best man at your wedding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.