ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Pass Interference

Phantom Husker

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2008
I mentioned over the summer on here that it's going to be nice to be on the benefiting side of DPI over the next 3 years having a highly accurate QB that puts balls in windows where only our WRs can get them. I brought it up again after the UTEP game and we saw it again in the Colorado game. In a long list of benefits we're now seeing with stellar QB play to match our top 10 defense I wanted to bring it up for the last time.

On those comeback routes, slants, and deep balls Raiola's vision is going to get us a lot of DPIs this year that will be crucial with our speed at the skill position. The days of playing 500 with mid to deep passes with the defender having the same or better chance as our WR to come down with it are over with DR. I'm here for it.

Defender Mentality: "this guy isn't getting the ball"

Raiola: "I see a 18 inch window to drop it in there"

The ball is on the way, defender isn't ready, and the WR essentially gets tackled with the ball in the air. Arguably, more important than accuracy, Raiola has the confidence most QBs don't have in college (at any age) to put the ball where he NEEDS it to be. It will inevitably mean an INT here or there, but the completed passes, TDs, and DPIs will more than offset the occasional INT.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.