ADVERTISEMENT

Defense After Halftime

huskerbaseball13

Nebraska Legend
Jul 30, 2003
Nebraska ranks #128 in the country in points allowed in the third quarter.

I’m sure this stat has everything to do with “culture” and nothing to do with the staffs inability to make adjustments. Let’s just all agree we will he magically better next year when this big bad seniors leave that Frost continues to play.

No lets totally panic and freak out. Lets fire everyone, again. That always works for us.

And the idea of halftime adjustments is silly. It's a catchphrase that people who don't understand football throw around, teams are adjusting all game, not just at halftime.

Fire everybody? Nope. Nobody is suggesting that. Instead, let’s keep a lame duck defensive coordinator around a few more years and then cut bait. Let me do my best Scott Frost impersonation....”we all see where this is going.”

Also, who said teams aren’t adjusting the entire game? Are you saying adjustments aren’t made at halftime? Or is there nothing to Nebraska ranking 128 in the country in points allowed in the third quarter. Just dumb luck.

Seems the team wants to stay in the locker room. Both offense and defense don't really do well in the 3rd.

No lets totally panic and freak out. Lets fire everyone, again. That always works for us.

And the idea of halftime adjustments is silly. It's a catchphrase that people who don't understand football throw around, teams are adjusting all game, not just at halftime.

This is pretty accurate. Halftime is really used for some minor adjustments at the most. Usually just some alignment stuff and some communication things. You don't practice all week on certain things to try and make drastic changes in 15 minutes.

You pretty much are going to dance with the girl you brought...at that point.

Now, what MIGHT happen is it gives the coaches a chance to say "Hey, we keep seeing them in this look when we line up like this, so I think we can..."

I don't think the post said anything about a team revamping its game plan at half time. But, the "hey they are doing this when we do that, so lets do this to counter that", is an adjustment, isn't it? Seems like other teams are doing that a whole lot better than we are. Or, they have a better plan B going into second half for when the other team does change how it attacks or defends a certain look we gave first half. Or, maybe we are taking to long to figure out they did make a change once the 3d quarter gets under way. Or, perhaps what focus we might have gotten from some of the guys in the first half just goes out the window when the second half starts. Maybe fellas start thinking about their plans for the night out instead of the task at hand. I don't know, but the fact that we are so bad in the third quarter seems like an indicator that we aren't doing something right. As they said, it can't be dumb luck this far into the season.

Reactions: yort2000
I don't think the post said anything about a team revamping its game plan at half time. But, the "hey they are doing this when we do that, so lets do this to counter that", is an adjustment, isn't it? Seems like other teams are doing that a whole lot better than we are. Or, they have a better plan B going into second half for when the other team does change how it attacks or defends a certain look we gave first half. Or, maybe we are taking to long to figure out they did make a change once the 3d quarter gets under way. Or, perhaps what focus we might have gotten from some of the guys in the first half just goes out the window when the second half starts. Maybe fellas start thinking about their plans for the night out instead of the task at hand. I don't know, but the fact that we are so bad in the third quarter seems like an indicator that we aren't doing something right. As they said, it can't be dumb luck this far into the season.

Yeah, clearly something sucks.

Yeah, I’m not under the assumption they need to recreate the wheel during halftime. Numbers wise we are a far better defense in the second quarter than we are in the third. I don’t think that’s by accident.

Just the defensive coordinator.

Good coaches show improvement even in year 1

I need to go back and look at the drive charts, but it seems to me that most 3rd quarters start with our 1st possession ending in a 3 and out and the opponents first possession is a well executed scoring drive where there is a least one explosive play where they saw something where they could take advantage.

Defense AFTER halftime? I'm all for it. Let me know when that happens. Next, maybe we can apply a 3 and out strategy.

I’m sure this stat has everything to do with “culture” and nothing to do with the staffs inability to make adjustments. Let’s just all agree we will he magically better next year when this big bad seniors leave that Frost continues to play.
Scott Frost does not know how to make adjustments which is so important in College Football.

Reactions: Huskred01
This is pretty accurate. Halftime is really used for some minor adjustments at the most. Usually just some alignment stuff and some communication things. You don't practice all week on certain things to try and make drastic changes in 15 minutes.

You pretty much are going to dance with the girl you brought...at that point.

Now, what MIGHT happen is it gives the coaches a chance to say "Hey, we keep seeing them in this look when we line up like this, so I think we can..."

You don’t dance with the girl you brought if everyone else at the dance is penetrating her.

Yes in most certain situations halftime adjustments are minor but when your scheme is so transparent to the other staff, then it calls for a wholesale change to stop the bleeding.

I don’t think we need to clean house but it’s time for this staff to be held accountable for being out coached week after week especially on that side of the dam ball. Nu has to be some of the easiest game prep for opponents coaching staffs. Going against Chin is an offensive coaches dream and until this staff can get other coaches guessing we are F’d.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
[QUOTE="spinner4, post: 5553852, member: 2852"]You don’t dance with the girl you brought if everyone else at the dance is penetrating her.

Yes in most certain situations halftime adjustments are minor but when your scheme is so transparent to the other staff, then it calls for a wholesale change to stop the bleeding.

I don’t think we need to clean house but it’s time for this staff to be held accountable for being out coached week after week especially on that side of the dam ball. Nu has to be some of the easiest game prep for opponents coaching staffs. Going against Chin is an offensive coaches dream and until this staff can get other coaches guessing we are F’d.[/QUOTE]

HAHA! That is awesome!

My guess is our offense is about the same. We very seldom score in the third

Huge Riley mistake replacing Banker with a freaking 3-4 defensive coach.

That defense led us to 7-0 and should have beaten Wisconsin at Wisconsin in 2016

Absolute stupid.

Actually, it was a Huge Shawn Eichorst mistake. I don't think Riley wanted to make the move at all.

Reactions: jeans15
Fire everybody? Nope. Nobody is suggesting that. Instead, let’s keep a lame duck defensive coordinator around a few more years and then cut bait. Let me do my best Scott Frost impersonation....”we all see where this is going.”

Also, who said teams aren’t adjusting the entire game? Are you saying adjustments aren’t made at halftime? Or is there nothing to Nebraska ranking 128 in the country in points allowed in the third quarter. Just dumb luck.
A team adjusting it's offense to take advantage of our schemes isn't that hard to understand. There's only so many ways Chinander can try to hide our weaknesses in the back 8. Our offensive struggles in the 3rd quarter certainly haven't helped our defense either.

A team adjusting it's offense to take advantage of our schemes isn't that hard to understand. There's only so many ways Chinander can try to hide our weaknesses in the back 8. Our offensive struggles in the 3rd quarter certainly haven't helped our defense either.

So since it’s all talent....how are we to think the defense will be better next year when we return a worse d-line(Frost’s words), redshirt freshman at linebacker, and losing a potential first round CB?

Reactions: oldjar07
So since it’s all talent....how are we to think the defense will be better next year when we return a worse d-line(Frost’s words), redshirt freshman at linebacker, and losing a potential first round CB?
I don't think I've ever said that we'll "be better on defense next year". I think we'll be more talented at ILB next year with those redshirted kids playing. Henrichs would probably be playing right now if not for his injury. We should get our #1 safety back from his injury which would help immensely. I've posted earlier that overall we could be a better team next year and have a worse record because of the schedule. I think our offense could kick some butt next year. Tannor should be bigger and more sure of himself hopefully and I think Nelson is going to be a difference maker. I think we'll be better at OLB next year. Dline? Who knows. I think somebody will step up to fill Jackson's shoes at CB.

Do you mean the seniors about whom you guys posted "boom" and "cowbell" a few years ago?

Wait, are people really saying that there’s minor to no adjustments done at halftime in major college football?!?!

The problem besides talent is that the team across the board is poorly coached. Horrible tackling, horrible use of hands by the lineman, terrible leverage by the lineman, and an awful scheme (i.e. placing an OLB on their fastest slot receiver). It's just all around bad. If you don't have talent then your fundamentals and coaching have to be rock solid. In year 2 that's not the case.

Do I think we should fire Frost? Of course not! However, you'd have to be drinking some pretty sweet kool aid to not see how awful our coaching has been on both sides of the ball and in particular on the lines.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT