ADVERTISEMENT

Darlington, Taylor, Newby all impressive

marteau

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 29, 2009
I only watched the first half, but those three guys had a good game, TA also showed some savvy as QB, but Darlington appears to throw the best ball of any. Bush looks a little awkward--but can develop.

Darlington looked the best to me in the game - I was very surprised at how calm/cool he seemed for his first real football performance in such a long time. Bush not so much BUT it was pretty clear that Bush was overwhelmed by the crowd experience. Never played in front of that many people before. Presumably he will get used to big crowds and we'll get a more accurate picture of his abilities.

So, I really wouldn't draw any conclusions yet based on only one Spring Game.

Newby and Taylor looked the part very well today. Taylor seems to understand how to run behind his pads. Dude really looks like he attacks the tackler and keeps his legs driving to keep plays moving. Imani Cross is a power back, but seems to run with just brute force. Sometimes it doesn't appear he knows he is a force of nature and thinks he a scat back. It was nice to see Newby go between the tackles. He still likes to dance a little too much at times though.

Darlington does seem to be the most natural guy to run Rileys style of offense. Tommy will likely win the job, but Darlington is going to make it interesting I think. I had heard big things about Bush, but he really looked green today. He looked like Tarzan out there, but needs to settle down and let his ability make plays. His best plays were when his pure athletic ability overcame good plays by the defense surrounding him. Throwing the ball, he looked like an athlete playing QB. If this were the 90's, he would be well suited to run that offense. He needs to grow as a thrower and reading coverages. WAY too many throws into coverage that he had no business throwing to. The picks he threw were easy. Several more were impossible for the receiver to make a play, and very well could have been picks. Hopefully he learns a lot from Riley and Langsdorf.

The coaches think Bush as the most upside, Riley

stated afterwards Bush showed "what he could be" so I don't think he plays this season. I think Darlington wins #2 because he can be successful and won't be overwhelmed. I think he lacks arm strength for greatness in this offense but he clearly excels in the short passing game and running the offense.

Looks like Riley has his three guys nailed down plus Fyfe. We've got 5 guys that looked like they could play and Stanton is the odd man out. Stanton didn't throw the ball well at all. IMO, Broekemeier should be ahead of Stanton based on what I saw. Granted Broekemeier wasn't playing with or against the ones, but he made some really good throws.

Newby's the real deal. IMO he is going to flourish in this offense and Taylor, Wilbon, Nabity and Nelson will all get carries at times. Obviously Taylor is #2 at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT