ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Patrick: Big Ten doesn’t have enough votes to play

linked is the big ten medical task force- note the home institution of the chair of this task force

https://bigten.org/news/2020/4/20/g...k-force-for-emerging-infectious-diseases.aspx
Maybe this group, maybe not
The problem is there has been zero information regarding the source of these medical reports
Dan Patrick in the video this morning cited push back from the “medical community” within the BIG
It’s a stretch to assume the source is singly the Task Force

This whole fiasco is why it was dumb to cancel the season if everyone wasn't on board with cancelling it. A decision of this magnitude should've had buy-in from everyone involved and it should not have been decided on an 11-3 vote.

I'm still fully okay with them canceling the season in the interest of public safety but I would not have canceled the season if there were any hold ups. If there were hold ups, I would've looked at alternative options (such as letting teams play outside the conference) before letting it get to this point where there are discussions about re-voting because of unhappiness.

The conference needs new leadership as I fully believe the current leadership has very little credibility with a sizeable portion of the conference. The current leadership has handled this terribly especially with the lack of communication both publicly and privately.

Force the issue. Create your own schedule. Let's see what they do about it

Again what does this conference gain by starting so late when the other conference will be getting ready for their CCG and 4 team playoffs.

Starting this late looks more political every day..

Reactions: tpmcg and bshirt73
If you're talking about the Michigan governor. That's not correct. She isn't worried about her own re-election until 2022 when this will all have been long forgotten - so she feels pretty secure herself. Her big concern is delivering Michigan to Biden in November. That would be a big feather in her cap and she has higher political ambitions in the party (like running for president herself someday).

Yes, she did grab emergency powers but whether we like it or not (and I don't) the state laws passed many years ago grant the governor those powers in emergencies and thus the state supreme court has backed this recent grab as being legal.

She only recently allowed football to be played in the fall but after it's already basically too late for many of the high schools and the colleges she thinks so it's a shrewd political move to escape any personal blame that might be levied down the road - ie. "I said they could play and they choose not to play so it wasn't my fault".

The governor is extremely smart politically.
How is not playing football delivering the state to Biden? Serious question. I have long thought this is all political but I can't figure out how that would work. Not playing football is pissing everyone off. Trump is advocating playing football. Is doing his best to try and get the B1G to play. It is the democrat college presidents and democratic governors that are the reason for no football in the B1G. If anything I would think it will help Trump because he can say I wanted football and the dems shut it down.

How is not playing football delivering the state to Biden? Serious question. I have long thought this is all political but I can't figure out how that would work. Not playing football is pissing everyone off. Trump is advocating playing football. Is doing his best to try and get the B1G to play. It is the democrat college presidents and democratic governors that are the reason for no football in the B1G. If anything I would think it will help Trump because he can say I wanted football and the dems shut it down.
It’s a gross miscalculation on their part, if you ask me...

Again what does this conference gain by starting so late when the other conference will be getting ready for their CCG and 4 team playoffs.

Starting this late looks more political every day..

They gain nothing on the sports front, but a November start......do the math.

OK captain obvious.. now tell me when this season ends ?and where are they going to play in December and January if they play 10 games?

And who cares about trophy game against the PAC 12 when ever..

I'm guessing another argument will be that most/all B1G schools will be done for the semester at Thanksgiving, so they can use the explanation there is less risk of infection during the time they are actually playing. IDK.

I'm guessing another argument will be that most/all B1G schools will be done for the semester at Thanksgiving, so they can use the explanation there is less risk of infection during the time they are actually playing. IDK.

Playing where on Campus in December and January RollingLaugh

These kids came to the B1G to play in the fall not winter time..

Because it perpetuates unhappiness, which makes people demand a change. Its a very effective strategy for the party that isnt in control and it has almost no risk. Whitmer has 2 years before there is any legitimate consequence and by then we will have had 4 or 5 controversies so this one won't matter.

Playing where on Campus in December and January RollingLaugh

These kids came to the B1G to play in the fall not winter time..

I hear you. At least a November start gives the NFL-caliber guys some highlight reel opportunities. Anything starting after first of the year doesn't seem feasible to physically recover for fall 2021.

Maybe Northern Iowa can host the bubble. o_O

Reactions: scarletred
Having been involved in making a float for the tournament of roses parade, that is a huge undertaking that takes months and huge amounts of money and manpower to create those floats. Let alone the fundraising to get bands and other performers to get to Pasadena. I can actually see why they had to make a decision a little bit earlier than cancelling fall sports, where most of those travel arrangements are made and can be cancelled at the last minute
Thanks for posting that. I was going to say virtually the same thing earlier about planning, fundraising for travel etc which many do years in advance.

What did you do on the float? I like to watch some of the clips during the parade when they show some of the building process. Amazes me when talking about a given float, how much of each product there is in a float

Because it perpetuates unhappiness, which makes people demand a change. Its a very effective strategy for the party that isnt in control and it has almost no risk. Whitmer has 2 years before there is any legitimate consequence and by then we will have had 4 or 5 controversies so this one won't matter.
The "playbook" is all about turmoil and civil chaos.

Reactions: dinglefritz
IMO, you'll never get anything close to a unanimous consensus one way or the other this Fall. I think the solution is to just let each school go their own way for this year without penalty for whatever their decision is. Then everybody should be happy BUT I think the schools that don't want to play are scared to death of that scenario. IF some schools in the conference are playing but they are sitting idle they fear there will be hell to pay from their fans and alums.

I suspect that there are enough teams between the B1G and PAC that want to play so that a full schedule could be constructed between them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sinomatic
OK captain obvious.. now tell me when this season ends ?and where are they going to play in December and January if they play 10 games?

And who cares about trophy game against the PAC 12 when ever..

Do you think they care?

Thanks for posting that. I was going to say virtually the same thing earlier about planning, fundraising for travel etc which many do years in advance.

What did you do on the float? I like to watch some of the clips during the parade when they show some of the building process. Amazes me when talking about a given float, how much of each product there is in a float

Not a whole lot. ha ha The inner workings of those things is insane. Hydraulics for the moving pieces, the cages inside that can hold the weight of the flowers and the amount of chicken wire used is crazy.

I left the decorating to the professionals.

Reactions: huskerfan66
If you're talking about the Michigan governor. That's not correct. She isn't worried about her own re-election until 2022 when this will all have been long forgotten - so she feels pretty secure herself. Her big concern is delivering Michigan to Biden in November. That would be a big feather in her cap and she has higher political ambitions in the party (like running for president herself someday).

Yes, she did grab emergency powers but whether we like it or not (and I don't) the state laws passed many years ago grant the governor those powers in emergencies and thus the state supreme court has backed this recent grab as being legal.

She only recently allowed football to be played in the fall but after it's already basically too late for many of the high schools and the colleges she thinks so it's a shrewd political move to escape any personal blame that might be levied down the road - ie. "I said they could play and they choose not to play so it wasn't my fault".

No she's not smart. The voters won't forget. She destroyed her state's economy. She's just another liberal b$tch.

I don't agree. Most people understand which side is behind the over reaction to the Coronavirus which has wrecked business, livelihoods, and other freedoms. They know which side gives a wink and a nod to protesting turned mob violence and who refuses to do anything about it. The term "drain the swamp' now makes sense to many more people

IMO, you'll never get anything close to a unanimous consensus one way or the other this Fall. I think the solution is to just let each school go their own way for this year without penalty for whatever their decision is. Then everybody should be happy BUT I think the schools that don't want to play are scared to death of that scenario. IF some schools in the conference are playing but they are sitting idle they fear there will be hell to pay from their fans and alums.

I suspect that there are enough teams between the B1G and PAC that want to play so that a full schedule could be constructed between them.

This would be so cool!

No she's not smart. The voters won't forget. She destroyed her state's economy. She's just another liberal b$tch.
Well, I don't like her BUT there's a difference IMO between politically smart and being smart for the benefit of the state. One is being selfishly smart for yourself and the other is being smart for the benefit of all the constituents. Two different kinds of smart.

Parents, families and high school players will not forget what she did. Former business owners who lost everything will not forget in 2 years. These kind of things stick with people a long long time.

I do agree with your statement that she's giving the go ahead probably too late for many of them to actually play. She'll pay a price.

So if you are Rutgers and by joining the conference have brought 20 million TVs into the equation but don't play, are you still entitled to a share of the media revenue? I would say no, but they would probably argue that because of them other members are reaping the benefit of their membership so they should get a cut.
I have no problem with Rutgers getting something. If the B1G plays there is a pot of money to split up that otherwise wouldn't be there. Details have to be worked out. There is a way for everyone to come out ahead. Shouldn't be super difficult to do.

It's pretty simple. The more people are pissed off about Covid-19 disrupting things, the more votes Biden gets. It's been the core concept of his campaign strategy. And not playing football due to the virus pisses off people. That's the theory.

Parents, families and high school players will not forget what she did. Former business owners who lost everything will not forget in 2 years. These kind of things stick with people a long long time.

I do agree with your statement that she's giving the go ahead probably too late for many of them to actually play. She'll pay a price.
As you probably gathered I'm personally NOT a supporter of the governor and I will not vote for her when she's up for re-election in 2022. That is if she's still running, because she could be up for a big job in the Biden administration should he win. BUT the reality is if you believe any of the state polls she's doing quite well in terms of being viewed favorably overall in our state. Being hated in Western Michigan currently is more than offset by being loved in Detroit.

One of the reasons is because she is politically smart as I said before. For example, she had her own scandal regarding forcibly sending elderly patients to nursing homes to spread the disease. BUT unlike other governors that were criticized she refuses to release any statistical data that would break that out and thus allow critics to go after her decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
I'm not surprised in the least. I figured there wasn't going to be much change in voting.

At this point, you have to ask yourself if the conference has too much power over individual schools.

I still think, the right thing to do, is to get out of this conference and re-join the one that we were in previously, but it seems we don't have the support to do that at the highest levels due to big academic grants.

So, Nebraska has to change. It can no longer be about football, but has to change to academics. If we are going to fit in with the conference, that seems to be the route to take.

I'm not sure that is going to work very well, but unless one of these two things changes, there will always be a disconnect between NU and this conference.

I'm not surprised in the least. I figured there wasn't going to be much change in voting.

At this point, you have to ask yourself if the conference has too much power over individual schools.

I still think, the right thing to do, is to get out of this conference and re-join the one that we were in previously, but it seems we don't have the support to do that at the highest levels due to big academic grants.

So, Nebraska has to change. It can no longer be about football, but has to change to academics. If we are going to fit in with the conference, that seems to be the route to take.

I'm not sure that is going to work very well, but unless one of these two things changes, there will always be a disconnect between NU and this conference.

That's a tough row to hoe. The Big10 blows chunks in some ways big-time but the BigXII with Texass & Dan Beebe is quite possibly even worse.

I just don't know......

That's a tough row to hoe. The Big10 blows chunks in some ways big-time but the BigXII with Texass & Dan Beebe is quite possibly even worse.

I just don't know......
Dan Beebe is no longer the commish of the Big12, but Texas influence is and has been an issue there. I think too many fans are still butthurt over the 1 second thing, but it is what it is.

Dan Beebe is no longer the commish of the Big12, but Texas influence is and has been an issue there. I think too many fans are still butthurt over the 1 second thing, but it is what it is.
I would say that is 1 of many Texas factors...

Reactions: bshirt73
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT