ADVERTISEMENT

D-line Recruiting concerns/discussion thread

maly

Graduate Assistant
Dec 10, 2003
Let me preface this by saying that it does kind of suck we aren't in a lot defensive line recruits right now. That being said,(classic RSS cliche) I think we need to look at the bigger picture a little bit (also cliche, I know). Here's a few factors that need to be looked at.

1. Can we identify talents late in this recruiting cycle a la what we found in Maliek and hopefully Alex Davis?

2. Can we leverage the play of our current guys to attract interest for the 2016 class and beyond?

3. Are recruits taking a wait and see approach with us? After all, we have been on national tv for years getting gashed by the run. Maybe some of those guys don't want to play on a team that they have seen give up 300,400,500 yards rushing.

4. Does Riley have some learning to do when it comes to the pursuit of more big time prospects, such as restructuring recruiting responsibilities, focusing on different geographically areas or putting more emphasis on the recruiting of defensive linemen?

I'd like to go into more discussion on number 4. I believe that Riley is adaptable as a coach and can learn and improve, even as experienced as he is. If we can see that there is some issues, Riley also can.
Recruiting quality or elite defensive line recruits is perhaps the hardest thing to do for a program with our geographic location. There's such a high demand for them, and not a lot of really good ones. It's very competitive.
If for whatever reason we don't get the numbers and quality on the defensive line we need in this class, Riley and crew are going to be full-court press in the next two cycles. Whatever it takes, Jucos, Trent Bray etc.
The bottom line is, it's not fun seeing us miss on so many guys, but I feel very confident that this isn't going to be a yearly struggle. We will find a way to get some quality guys on campus. We are not Ohio State or Alabama. Some years are going to be a little tough at certain position groups.
I'll end this with another cliche. A wait and see approach is all we can really do. Let's take a look at where we are in November when we've had a chance to show recruits what we are capable of on the field.

Reactions: Link-
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.