ADVERTISEMENT

Crazy Rumor that will blow your minds.

I'm quite surprised at the posters here. You all did not pay attention to what was going on the last couple of years? I'm really surprised you think this guy is trolling. This is legit stuff and I can't believe you all are this blind to what has been going on. Just wow.
Kevin Warren doesn’t have the power to kick anyone out.

So what you're kind of saying is, the other schools in the conference that voted us out, didn't do it out of competition for more grant monies, since membership has no bearing on the grants received?
If you’re a good scientist or have a good grant, AAU status has nothing to do with it.
Pardon my comment, but it’s a circle jerk or something. I really would like to find out more about this. I read their mission, and I see no benefit of being very in it other than you are in the “cool clique”. I apply for federal grants, and there isn’t a spot to click to say my university is AAU. I’m sure it’s the sam e for other avenues of research grants. Pretty stupid if you ask me. Their website is telling when they brag about getting a grant to support them. Yes it’s probably an old fraternity, but shit, my house was built for the bicentennial in Philly, and I’m not making a request for historical preservation like the AAU.
secondly, the list of members has about as much diversity as a coffee shop in small town North Dakota. I know, some of you will say it shouldn’t matter, but it should if you want to be an association of universities who do research. this group list is bogus and should be treated as such. Nebraska shouldn’t care. I’m pretty sure my undergraduate training there was pretty good given where I’m at and have done. Wouldn’t trade it for any other.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Pardon my comment, but it’s a circle jerk or something. I really would like to find out more about this. I read their mission, and I see no benefit of being very in it other than you are in the “cool clique”. I apply for federal grants, and there isn’t a spot to click to say my university is AAU. I’m sure it’s the sam e for other avenues of research grants. Pretty stupid if you ask me. Their website is telling when they brag about getting a grant to support them. Yes it’s probably an old fraternity, but shit, my house was built for the bicentennial in Philly, and I’m not making a request for historical preservation like the AAU.
Sorry, but for clarification, you are saying that you apply for federal grants.. but are you at a B1G school?

I suspect the grants that come through the B1G are not available to outside schools.. otherwise anybody could apply for them and nobody would need the league for those sort of payouts.

Kevin Warren doesn’t have the power to kick anyone out.
He can surely call a vote on it, and if he's dangling Stanford in place of Nebraska, some Academic minded people would say that is a no brainer, replace them.

Sorry, but for clarification, you are saying that you apply for federal grants.. but are you at a B1G school?

I suspect the grants that come through the B1G are not available to outside schools.. otherwise anybody could apply for them and nobody would need the league for those sort of payouts.
The standard for most schools for a professor like me to get tenure are NIH grants. I doubt you can survive on Big 10 grants for that. Not enough money from big 10 grants.

Of note, I’m at an Ivy League school (but Philly), and I have never seen an Ivy League only grant opportunity.

The standard for most schools for a professor like me to get tenure are NIH grants. I doubt you can survive on Big 10 grants for that. Not enough money from big 10 grants.

Of note, I’m at an Ivy League school (but Philly), and I have never seen an Ivy League only grant opportunity.
This is really interesting information.

We hear that membership in the Big Ten provides the member schools with billions in grant money (over a number of years).

I'm trying to figure out how the conference is linked with this grant money.. or another way, if the grant money is not linked to the conference, then there is No 'grant' benefit to being in the conference.

We hear that membership in the Big Ten provides the member schools with billions in grant money (over a number of years).

I'm trying to figure out how the conference is linked with this grant money.. or another way, if the grant money is not linked to the conference, then there is No 'grant' benefit to being in the conference.
Like most things in academics it's for show/prestige not reality

Like most things in academics it's for show/prestige not reality
So there is no "grant" benefit to being in the league.. just the league payments (which are very good), but other than that, B1G membership doesn't improve grants that the school could already get on it's own, regardless of conference affiliation?

Reactions: Hford
If I recall correctly, Moos was pretty outspoken about issues with the Big10.
I wouldn't be suprised if the Nebraska brass talked to Alberts about smoothing ruffled feathers when he took over, which probably included talking to Frost.
My guess is that Frost lackeys would like to turn this back on Alberts and accuse him of being a tool of Warren.

Reactions: NikkiSixx

Pretty sure they meant to say TV money. I’d like another school in the BIG10 fan’s perspective. Maybe there is a $billion payout for research? Federal NIH budget is about $62 billion to all schools and people in the US last year so I’m doubting the big 10 budget.

don't tell me you interpreted this as KW having input on firing Frost, because the original poster didn't say that.

The rub between Frost and KW is real, and if you have been paying attention, you would have seen the evidence of this over the past 2 years.

What part of the original post do you take issue with???

OP did state that.

OP did state that.
I don't think Warren had any impact on Frost's firing, and if it did, it was secondary or just an additional reason.

The friction between Warren and Frost is indeed real. Trev did have to muzzle Frost. After Trev is hired, when we hear from Frost, he says in video interviews that he cannot comment on the conference, or he declines to comment on those kinds of things, saying he can't comment on it. This was a direct result of Trev putting a muzzle on him..

Things appear to be smoothed over, but then there is more friction this summer at the B1G Media days, however the expansion talk happened just before or around that time.

I didn't interpret the OP as saying we had to fire frost or we would be forced out, only that we had to muzzle frost to get in line. I also don't think things are really patched up still with KW.

The reality is, we are a bad fit for the conference.

Yes the conference TV deal is good, but we are told that we get so much more in conference grant monies, that we should not even consider leaving the B1G, which was talked about a lot during the covid year.

Now it seems like this conference affiliated grant money is bogus too.

Last edited:
I don't think Warren had any impact on Frost's firing, and if it did, it was secondary or just an additional reason.

The friction between Warren and Frost is indeed real. Trev did have to muzzle Frost. After Trev is hired, when we hear from Frost, he says in video interviews that he cannot comment on the conference, or he declines to comment on those kinds of things, saying he can't comment on it. This was a direct result of Trev putting a muzzle on him..

Things appear to be smoothed over, but then there is more friction this summer at the B1G Media days, however the expansion talk happened just before or around that time.

I didn't interpret the OP as saying we had to fire frost or we would be forced out, only that we had to muzzle frost to get in line. I also don't think things are really patched up still with KW.

Yes the conference TV deal is good, but we are told that we get so much more in conference grant monies, that we should not even consider leaving the B1G, which was talked about a lot during the covid year.

Now it seems like this conference affiliated grant money is bogus

Now it seems like this conference affiliated grant money is bogus too.
I can’t guarantee that ther wasn’t any money from the big 10 coming into research. I can say that it’s so minimal compared to NIH grants that are the gold standard to getting tenure or advancement. And there is no way I hell that the big 10 s getting a disproportionate amount t of nih funding. Not in the current state of ethos.

no he didn't.
>Trev had to make this change to keep our Big Ten status intact
Maybe op just meant he needed to muzzle Frost to keep conference status but wasn't clear enough.

Either way, it's laughable that KW would threaten NU's status given all the horrific sexual abuse scandals in this conference. Frost wanting the Big Ten to play in 2020 was one of the best things he did. Granted it's a short list.

Maybe op just meant he needed to muzzle Frost to keep conference status but wasn't clear enough.

Either way, it's laughable that KW would threaten NU's status given all the horrific sexual abuse scandals in this conference. Frost wanting the Big Ten to play in 2020 was one of the best things he did. Granted it's a short list.
yeah I read it as Trev had to muzzle Scott to keep the peace in the B1G.. I didn't read it as related to Scott getting fired.

Two things can be true:

1. anyone publicly taking a dump on the B1G is trouble to the powers that be. this basically never happens in this league. like, ever.

2. Nebraska’s status is as cemented in the B1G as Michigan’s or any other school’s. This conference loves us & we are paraded out within the first breath of every B1G-touting public product

I will add if we seriously considered hiring someone like Deion Sanders the league would go full MLB and veto it a la Cuban trying to buy the cubs

Kevin Warren apparently had a sit down meeting with Trev when he got hired and told him he needed to muzzle Frost and his anti big ten agenda. Kevin Warren despised Frost during the Covid season and made no secret about it in private circles. Trev had to make this change to keep our big ten status intact. I guess when USC and UCLA were in discussions Warren brought up the potential to choose Stanford and kick Nebraska out if Nebraska didn’t clean up their act.
Partially believable.

Except for the part about making the change to keep big 10 status.

Two things can be true:

1. anyone publicly taking a dump on the B1G is trouble to the powers that be. this basically never happens in this league. like, ever.

2. Nebraska’s status is as cemented in the B1G as Michigan’s or any other school’s. This conference loves us & we are paraded out within the first breath of every B1G-touting public product

I will add if we seriously considered hiring someone like Deion Sanders the league would go full MLB and veto it a la Cuban trying to buy the cubs
I think you underestimate their love of "diversity."

I'm pretty sure big doners and presidents tell kevin and trev what to do

plus the big offices in chicago got alot bigger problems to deal with

Unfortunately for your fictional story Warren doesn’t have the power to do any of that.
Correct. Also did kevin warren tell Scott to onside kick, tell his team not to tackle. I think the only call that I can remember that screwed us was the fumble in the northwestern game. Also did kevin warren cause us to lose to a sun belt team.

Then scott decided not to play in a bowl in 2020. Kevin warren had nothing to do with that poor decision.

Total BS. Nebraska even in down years adds to the B1G coffers. No one has been kicked out in the B1G in my 50+ years I don't see it happening now.

Oh I don't think Warren had any impact on Frost's firing..

But I am sure some things were said, and then you had Trev talking up the B1G and how we need to compete and Frost too started saying he can't comment on the league or how he would say this or that is good for the league, like when he recently got asked about the new expansion.

So it got swept under the rug, but the tension was never actually fixed.

I think Trev got it mostly calmed down, but then this summer was like another rub with how Scott handled those things at media days.

I agree with you on KW being thin skinned. He's absolutely capable of saying nice things about someone he dislikes, and making it seem believable, and that is why he's a good administrator. Trev can play that game too. Never forget that those kind of guys realize that you have to keep appearances to make things run smooth, but behind the scenes, all kinds of crosscurrents can be going on.

You have got to be kidding. The lack response following and introduction showed a lack of courtesy and was so unprofessional it simply was inappropriate.

I'm quite surprised at the posters here. You all did not pay attention to what was going on the last couple of years? I'm really surprised you think this guy is trolling. This is legit stuff and I can't believe you all are this blind to what has been going on. Just wow.
Really? BTW I have a can’t miss stock. IM me ur credit card info, also SSN and ur mothers maiden name. This is legit stuff!

Kevin Warren apparently had a sit down meeting with Trev when he got hired and told him he needed to muzzle Frost and his anti big ten agenda. Kevin Warren despised Frost during the Covid season and made no secret about it in private circles. Trev had to make this change to keep our big ten status intact. I guess when USC and UCLA were in discussions Warren brought up the potential to choose Stanford and kick Nebraska out if Nebraska didn’t clean up their act.
We lost to GA. Southern. At home. Giving up almost 650 yards. After having lost to NW.

Whatever Scott's comments about covid, he was 16-31. End of story.

We had parents trying to sue the big ten to play football. Then opted to not play football. KW wanted Frost gone as it was viewed as a personal decision.
I want u gone but I can’t make u go away and KW could not evict NU from any conference!

I don't know about the OSU independent thing, or if you were being sarcastic.

Schools have been kicked out of conferences before. It usually just takes a vote of the School Presidents. It would be similar to how we got kicked out of the AAU.

I don't know how the money issue would be handled. Supposedly we are a part owner in the league, so we would have to be paid what that share was worth as well as unwind the pledge of media rights.
Can you give me an example of a school having their conference membership revoked?

We lost to GA. Southern. At home. Giving up almost 650 yards. After having lost to NW.

Whatever Scott's comments about covid, he was 16-31. End of story.
I'm very confused why so many people in this thread have seized on the notion that KW told Alberts to fire Frost. I've re-read the OP several times and nothing like that was mentioned. It just said Warren wasn't a fan of Frost. Although, the sentence that Alberts had to make this change to keep NU in the B1G is probably what's causing this backlash. I think that was just poorly worded.

Because at the end of the day, if Frost was winning he'd still be the head coach regardless of what Warren or anyone else thought of him.

So what you're kind of saying is, the other schools in the conference that voted us out, didn't do it out of competition for more grant monies, since membership has no bearing on the grants received?
He can surely call a vote on it, and if he's dangling Stanford in place of Nebraska, some Academic minded people would say that is a no brainer, replace them.
What time did u start drinking today?

You don't remember Trev and Scott having to butter up the Big Ten after Trev was hired last year?

That was the very first order of business after Trev got hired.

It was obvious that Trev had a big talking to Scott about all that insubordination that was going on in the covid year.

Even during Big Ten Media Days this summer, there was still tension.. although Warren was able to give nice comments about Scott Frost and say nice things, and then Scott gets up to the stage and doesn't say any kind word back, in fact doesn't even make an opening statement.

It would not surprise me in the least if there were indeed discussions on replacing Nebraska and using academics as the route to do it.

If you have never mingled in high academic circles, I can tell you first hand, it is a very tight club with some of the most pompous, arrogant, and brilliant people who have egos with God complexes.

Nebraska is still on thin ice with the league in my opinion.
COVID was proven to be overblown, so Nebraska should be vindicated for the 2020 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT