ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Couple official visitor tidbits

Mike Matya

Nebraska Legend
May 29, 2001
Bellevue, Nebraska [formerly Omaha]
1729553.jpg

I just spoke with Fort Pierce (Fla.) Fort Pierce Central head coach Joshua Shaffer and he said that Cornhusker linebacker commit, Greg Simmons, may be having company on his official visit to Nebraska. His teammate, four-star offensive tackle Stewart Reese who also has an NU offer, is likely to tag along with Simmons on his trip to NU.

"We're actually out of camp and we started football a couple weeks ago and had our first game last week," Coach Shaffer said. "We beat Oxbridge Academy 28-18.

"Greg is looking fantastic. I think he had 12 total tackles last week. He's definitely improved in his ability to maintain control while continuing to play with great passion, and also play very intelligently. He played Mike [linebacker] last week and this week he's playing Sam. We shuffle him all over."

Simmons is scheduled to take his official visit to Lincoln for the opening game against BYU and Reese is hoping to officially visit Nebraska as well.

"Stew is actually in the process of talking with Coach (Brian) Stewart about coming in for an official visit here, not this weekend but the weekend after," Coach Shaffer stated. "He wants to go with Greg. It's in the works at the moment and we're waiting to get the final details."

Nebraska is the only school outside of the Southeast that Stewart is considering, according to Coach Shaffer.

"Right now, he's got Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Florida State -- those would be kind of in the top five in this area," Coach Shaffer shared. "And obviously, Nebraska as well. At this moment, it's those five schools in the South plus Nebraska."

I asked Coach Shaffer to give me his coach's evaluation of Reese as a player and he replied:

"I mean, he's physical, he's big, he's strong, he finishes well. He runs well and he does a great job of pass protection. He's one of the best pass pro guys that I've seen. I've been very blessed to have him for the past four years as well."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.