ADVERTISEMENT

Could UNO Resurrect its Football Program?

Sep 14, 2017
With nobody there acting as a puppet with UNL influence (poster's on this board's words not mine) is there a possibility that Omaha could bring back football in some capacity? It looks like their transition to D1 has gone well and they look to be pretty solvent. They could not offer full scholarships and operate in the Pioneer league (similar to Drake and Davidson) which may help with some Title IX issues or they could go all out and join the MVFC with NDSU and SDSU and add some women's sports. I don't see it hurting us as much in recruiting because the Dakotas were already taking players that were getting Walk-on offers from us anyways.

With nobody there acting as a puppet with UNL influence (poster's on this board's words not mine) is there a possibility that Omaha could bring back football in some capacity? It looks like their transition to D1 has gone well and they look to be pretty solvent. They could not offer full scholarships and operate in the Pioneer league (similar to Drake and Davidson) which may help with some Title IX issues or they could go all out and join the MVFC with NDSU and SDSU and add some women's sports. I don't see it hurting us as much in recruiting because the Dakotas were already taking players that were getting Walk-on offers from us anyways.
This comes down to "Follow the money". Football needs to be a profit center for it to work. Most schools outside of the P-5 schools have monies infused into the athletic departments through tuition disbursements. Football is generally the flagship of the athletic dept and leads the school in the marketing and income stream. If you could demonstrate how the money will come in and the amount to expect, this would have to be the beginning. I believe the hockey team has become the flagship sport and is successful in doing so. Sports are much more than just participating in a conference or a team, it is only about the money. They would probably reconsider if you can show the profitability and long-term success.

UAB folded its program several years ago because of the expense but reinstated it 2 years later. I attribute it to loss of income from the TV contracts, probably a decrease in the student body (evidence shows the better the football team does the better the student enrollment), and alumni outcry.

This comes down to "Follow the money". Football needs to be a profit center for it to work. Most schools outside of the P-5 schools have monies infused into the athletic departments through tuition disbursements. Football is generally the flagship of the athletic dept and leads the school in the marketing and income stream. If you could demonstrate how the money will come in and the amount to expect, this would have to be the beginning. I believe the hockey team has become the flagship sport and is successful in doing so. Sports are much more than just participating in a conference or a team, it is only about the money. They would probably reconsider if you can show the profitability and long-term success.

UAB folded its program several years ago because of the expense but reinstated it 2 years later. I attribute it to loss of income from the TV contracts, probably a decrease in the student body (evidence shows the better the football team does the better the student enrollment), and alumni outcry.
UAB had more to do with being part of the University of Alabama umbrella and the regents wanting to keep that program down. They tried to hire Jimbo Fisher when he was a coordinator at LSU but the deal was rejected by the regents with no explanation. They actually lost more money without their football program, that is why it was reinstated.

Cutting football and wrestling at Omaha actually saved the program money and adding hockey has been beneficial to the bottom line.

Is UNO Football the most romanticised idea in Omaha?

No one went to games, no one knew who or when they played. UNO students didn't go to the games, they partied for Husker games instead.

But we still have people pretending like it was some special important thing.

UAB had more to do with being part of the University of Alabama umbrella and the regents wanting to keep that program down. They tried to hire Jimbo Fisher when he was a coordinator at LSU but the deal was rejected by the regents with no explanation. They actually lost more money without their football program, that is why it was reinstated.

Cutting football and wrestling at Omaha actually saved the program money and adding hockey has been beneficial to the bottom line.
Yep and all they need is to win their conference BBall tourney and make the dance...that is the dream.

Then if they pull off a huge upset over some 15 or 14 seed...forget about it.

Just making the dance is a bigger deal than anything the football team could ever have done.

Reactions: HappyTrail3200

Thanks for the info...

UNO Football was something to do in Omaha.. it was cool, I enjoyed going to the games.
I though you lived in Lincoln? UNO had to move times of their games around Nebraska game so they could have better attendance…

When when they did have games at the same time over half the crowd were listening to the Husker game on the radio…

• Love
Reactions: SuperBigFan
I though you lived in Lincoln? UNO had to move times of their games around Nebraska game so they could have better attendance…

When when they did have games at the same time over half the crowd were listening to the Husker game on the radio…
I have never lived in Lincoln. I commuted to a job there for a year once, but that is it.

UNO students didn't go to the games, they partied for Husker games instead.
I went a couple of times! Once on a Thursday when they were #1 in 2007. That was about the only time the stadium was actually full and electric. Oh, and also I got in for free, like all students. Because they had to make it free otherwise attendance on Saturdays would have been even worse than it already was.

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT