ADVERTISEMENT

Coordinators who might

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
Be good head coach hires . Minn1954 listed Georgia’s OC Todd Monken. Somebody else is on Lincoln Riley’s brother Garrett. Maybe Illinois’s DC Ryan Walters? Who else ya got?

Reactions: headcard
The only problem is that they're good as coordinators but you obviously don't know how they'd be as head coaches. For a program with lot's of money, like Nebraska, I always prefer a current head coach with a great track record over more than a few years to chancing it with a coordinator who's never been a head coach. The B1G just isn't a good learning ground to becoming a head coach.

Right there are 4 names who maybe should be higher on Trev’s list than my beloved Mickey😟
Quite possibly, but some of those guys may not be interested. If a coach is lucky enough to get a coordinator job at a place like Georgia, they may be holding out for just the right job to come open.

The only problem is that they're good as coordinators but you obviously don't know how they'd be as head coaches. For a program with lot's of money, like Nebraska, I always prefer a current head coach with a great track record over more than a few years to chancing it with a coordinator who's never been a head coach. The B1G just isn't a good learning ground to becoming a head coach.
Can’t argue that point but it is a good one..

But if you don’t get the chance to prove it from being a coordinator you’ll never know how good a guy could be as a head coach..

Bob Stoops and Dave Aranda are good examples and I wouldn’t be surprised that Wisconsin keeps Leonhard..

I agree. Like in the case with Bo Pelini, when he came here. We got a guy who was very good in some areas, but he had zero pull when it came to being able to hire a great staff. And character flaws and insecurities are much more of an issue when a goes becomes the head coach.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Can’t argue that point but it is a good one..

But if you don’t get the chance to prove it from being a coordinator you’ll never know how good a guy could be as a head coach..

Bob Stoops and Dave Aranda are good examples and I wouldn’t be surprised that Wisconsin keeps Leonhard..
It's a good strategy for schools without the big money or ability to compete with the big guys to hire great coordinators as first time head coaches. Different strategies have to be deployed at different schools.

Reactions: scarletred
I like Ryan Walters but unfortunately I don't think he's well-established enough to make NU's short list. He would be a great hire for Colorado, and I expect they will offer him the job.

It's a good strategy for schools without the big money or ability to compete with the big guys to hire great coordinators as first time head coaches. Different strategies have to be deployed at different schools.
That's exactly what we are or how we're treating it anyway.

There have been a lot - like, a lot a lot - of first time HCs who’ve gone on to whatever qualifies as success in the B1G

it’s a perfect proving ground for new coaches

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT