ADVERTISEMENT

Communication problems? Technique problems?

So Mike Cavanaugh said yesterday that the problems with the offensive line last Saturday came from problems in communication and basic technique.

Can someone please explain to me how that is acceptable with a veteran offensive line in year three under their coach?
Pretty basic, the wrong o-line calls were made and or communication between players was poor. Every o-line has calls and those change depending on the front adjustment by the d-line, if one guy screws up it can make the whole thing a mess.

Kinda like one guy playing zone when every one else is playing man coverage and the guy he is suppose to cover is wide open.

Pretty basic, the wrong o-line calls were made and or communication between players was poor. Every o-line has calls and those change depending on the front adjustment by the d-line, if one guy screws up it can make the whole thing a mess.

Kinda like one guy playing zone when every one else is playing man coverage and the guy he is suppose to cover is wide open.

Agree. Attend any number of high school games and it is a frequent occurrence

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
3rd game into his 3rd year and we're talking about technique problems? Communication problems at a home game? I'm still behind Riley but he needs to find a better OL coach. This is Nebraska for crying out loud!

hands up for those that were touting him as the best O-Line Coach in the world when he was hired. Come on, you're out there. Probably the same ones that buy we're the best at everything...until we are proven we're not.

Agree. Attend any number of high school games and it is a frequent occurrence
Or apparently a Coach Cav O-line.

It's not like this is the first game or even first year this happens. This is basically every week under him

Or apparently a Coach Cav O-line.

It's not like this is the first game or even first year this happens. This is basically every week under him

It happens every week at every level. That isn't an excuse that is fact. Most sacks, most interceptions, most blown coverages that happen in every game is because of poor communication or technique.

So Mike Cavanaugh said yesterday that the problems with the offensive line last Saturday came from problems in communication and basic technique.

Can someone please explain to me how that is acceptable with a veteran offensive line in year three under their coach?

We need a new OL coach. I am also thinking a new OC/QB coach. If Langs really thought Lee was the "Deal", he needs to go too. This would buy Riley more time.

It's not. Just excuses from yet another group wearing the "N" on their chest that is in way over their heads.

3rd game into his 3rd year and we're talking about technique problems? Communication problems at a home game? I'm still behind Riley but he needs to find a better OL coach. This is Nebraska for crying out loud!
This is the reason I'm not behind Riley. The DC, DL, and now OL coaches he assembled either have or need to be turned over in short order. This isn't like elite programs where the spot opens because the previous person was hired elsewhere. This is pure mismanagement and ineptness.

It happens every week at every level. That isn't an excuse that is fact. Most sacks, most interceptions, most blown coverages that happen in every game is because of poor communication or technique.

Never coached an oline...never played on the oline but why could the communication piece not be fixed in game? Technique is something that should have been pounded into their brain long ago but to me the communication piece is something that should have been fixed first quarter. What is going to happen when this "veteran" oline and "experienced" coaching staff has to travel to a hostile environment as opposed to trying to fix communication in the friendly confines of Memorial Stadium?

Very true and also slightly "duh". But the idea is to minimize it. There has been far too much of this under Cav. Mistakes happen. But when they continually happen, there is a problem.

God knows our secondary has had poor technique, poor communication, and injuries but no one is calling for Coach Williams or Booker like they are Cav. Difference is there are signs of improvement in the secondary.

Never coached an oline...never played on the oline but why could the communication piece not be fixed in game? Technique is something that should have been pounded into their brain long ago but to me the communication piece is something that should have been fixed first quarter. What is going to happen when this "veteran" oline and "experienced" coaching staff has to travel to a hostile environment as opposed to trying to fix communication in the friendly confines of Memorial Stadium?

I take him to be speaking in general terms. Technique could very well be that the Guard didn't get enough depth on the pull and got caught up in the trash and missed his block. The communication could be the message, not necessarily being able to hear the message.

My opinion is that this is a way to not call out specific players in public so he uses generic BS coach speak to address the issues to the media.

Very true and also slightly "duh". But the idea is to minimize it. There has been far too much of this under Cav. Mistakes happen. But when they continually happen, there is a problem.

God knows our secondary has had poor technique, poor communication, and injuries but no one is calling for Coach Williams or Booker like they are Cav. Difference is there are signs of improvement in the secondary.

Williams and Booker are still new, they get a free pass because its a new defense etc. Not that its right just that it is.

Williams and Booker are still new, they get a free pass because its a new defense etc. Not that its right just that it is.

I played Corner . I never played O-line. I can tell you that our secondary is making strides. There is improvement. It's not a free pass from me and I am ultra critical. I was critical of Cav year one. I am not that critical of Booker or Williams. I think there are exceptionally good coaches.

He said he is tough on his players, but then loves them more. If you love somebody you don't hang him out to dry on his first start. You don't make the guy sit the bench all year and throw him to the wolves late in the season during a critical time. You don't never give the guy a chance to play.

I played Corner . I never played O-line. I can tell you that our secondary is making strides. There is improvement. It's not a free pass from me and I am ultra critical. I was critical of Cav year one. I am not that critical of Booker or Williams. I think there are exceptionally good coaches.

I'll revise. When Lee or Bootle get beat or when Jackson fails to get his head in there to make a tackle, that's a system problem. When Farniok, Knevel or Farmer allow a blitzer to cross their face, that's Cav's fault.

I am not sure you can tell if there is improvement in the CB play yet, its pretty early. The CBs did not look good in the first half of the game against Oregon. But there is time.

Reactions: TFrazier
cav aint the only one on this train. same thing with the WR. the routes werent crisp, we didnt catch the ball. blah, blah, blah.

I'll revise. When Lee or Bootle get beat or when Jackson fails to get his head in there to make a tackle, that's a system problem. When Farniok, Knevel or Farmer allow a blitzer to cross their face, that's Cav's fault.

I am not sure you can tell if there is improvement in the CB play yet, its pretty early. The CBs did not look good in the first half of the game against Oregon. But there is time.

Obviously your a fan of Coach Cav and are a little butt hurt by people blaming him. But this is year 3 and still the same results over and again. So there's obviously some issues with him. He's a common factor every year. And it's not just me who see's it.

And yes I see strides in our young secondary (younger players then most of our O-line I may add). Yes they did not play well the first half of the Oregon game but have faired well since. But I'm sure youll chalk their play up in the 2nd half of that game to a conservative play calling and their solid play against NIU to them being conservative or not good. And if nothing else, at least the Coach Williams can recruit. But It's you opinion and I could really care less.

Honestly I think it's that you just like to fight with me and I find that sad but honestly just don't care. I notice you've been a member since Aug of 2016 and have almost 3,500 posts. Seems like a ton of volume in a short amount of time. Really reminds me of a guy who use to always try to fight me on this board all the time, who was later banned from this board. And ironically that was about the time you joined. But hmm, probably a coincidence.

Bottom line, i don't think Cavs a good coach nor a good recruiter. And the O-line has had issues during his whole time here. IMO Action speak louder then words. And yes I've actually played football and am entitled to my own opinion just as you are.Either respect that or don't. Best wishes to you, but I disagree with you.

Obviously your a fan of Coach Cav and are a little butt hurt by people blaming him. But this is year 3 and still the same results over and again. So there's obviously some issues with him. He's a common factor every year. And it's not just me who see's it.

And yes I see strides in our young secondary (younger players then most of our O-line I may add). Yes they did not play well the first half of the Oregon game but have faired well since. But I'm sure youll chalk their play up in the 2nd half of that game to a conservative play calling and their solid play against NIU to them being conservative or not good. And if nothing else, at least the Coach Williams can recruit. But It's you opinion and I could really care less.

Honestly I think it's that you just like to fight with me and I find that sad but honestly just don't care. I notice you've been a member since Aug of 2016 and have almost 3,500 posts. Seems like a ton of volume in a short amount of time. Really reminds me of a guy who use to always try to fight me on this board all the time, who was later banned from this board. And ironically that was about the time you joined. But hmm, probably a coincidence.

Bottom line, i don't think Cavs a good coach nor a good recruiter. And the O-line has had issues during his whole time here. IMO Action speak louder then words. And yes I've actually played football and am entitled to my own opinion just as you are.Either respect that or don't. Best wishes to you, but I disagree with you.

Not necessarily a fan of Cav. I am just not a fan of picking and choosing who sucks as a coach. We as fans pick and choose who we blame. If we like the coach its the player's fault, if we hate the coach it's his fault. Reggie Davis sucks, Cav sucks, but no one says crap about Williams and the WRs dropping passes, the LB play has been horrible at times but Brey's name hasn't been mentioned on these threads in weeks. The only position group that has been solid and shown consistent improvement is DLine.

I don't know why everyone thinks I am someone else. I joined this forum when I did and honestly never been on this forum prior to that time. I was on a different board that was going downhill fast and decided to leave that board. Believe or don't believe, but that is the truth.

Before the season started the question was asked what we wanted to see the first game. I said something about the o-line communicating and picking up stunts and blitzes, being together. That doesn't mean you make every play but you at least are I'm position to do so. We aren't and that is disappointing given the experience of this group.

Not necessarily a fan of Cav. I am just not a fan of picking and choosing who sucks as a coach. We as fans pick and choose who we blame. If we like the coach its the player's fault, if we hate the coach it's his fault. Reggie Davis sucks, Cav sucks, but no one says crap about Williams and the WRs dropping passes, the LB play has been horrible at times but Brey's name hasn't been mentioned on these threads in weeks. The only position group that has been solid and shown consistent improvement is DLine.

I don't know why everyone thinks I am someone else. I joined this forum when I did and honestly never been on this forum prior to that time. I was on a different board that was going downhill fast and decided to leave that board. Believe or don't believe, but that is the truth.

I've been lurking Tuco and think you bring a solid take. There are many more posters on here now that have a good understanding of the X's and O's, yourself prominent among them.

My style is to point out a pistol whipping or blatant, obvious problem. I'll let you guys hash out the details.

One thing that should be pointed out is the possibility NIU has a potent front 7 and was simply faster/stronger than Nebraska. If that is the case, it is even worse than being portrayed, because coaching won't help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT