ADVERTISEMENT

Cocaine and college students

WHCSC

Offensive Coordinator
Feb 4, 2002
I've recently learned that cocaine is fairly prevalent on college campuses. Isn't it still really expensive? How can poor college kids afford it?

No, I've never tried it. I'm asking because I've heard that someone close to me is doing it at UNL.

Just from the stories I have heard, I think the 60'-80's were a much bigger drug culture on campus than it is now...with that said I am sure coke, weed and Px drugs are huge...especially addy, smashed up and snorted.

I'm not surprised at all that it's being used. I'm just wondering if it's still super expensive and how they can possibly afford it.

Reactions: jchusker02
The scary drugs are grandmas old pain killers, mixed into a cocktail... Hello addiction to opioids and eventually heroin. Scary stuff and too many believe it won't happen to them. Welcome to the new meth epidemic.

There were ALOT of drugs on campus when I went to college in late 80s and early 90s (hey I am slow...took me awhile to finish and I also discovered beer which might have contributed). Coke and heroin were not seen much - also that was before the home cooked meth. Rx stuff was around - especially speed in high demand - normally it was Desoxyn or similar. My guess is demand for coke is down with the uptick in Rx opiates and easing back on weed enforcement - so it becomes affordable to college students.

I'm asking because I've heard that someone close to me is doing it at UNL.
not sure it helps or not, but I wouldn't believe everything you hear, even on sensitive issues like that one.

I'm not surprised at all that it's being used. I'm just wondering if it's still super expensive and how they can possibly afford it.
maybe they smoke crack and not snort coke, I think that's cheaper?

I think johnney rodgers and mercury morris know the most about it...oh yeah and charles thompson...

They can't afford it, and that's how people lives go into the *****er.

They get addicted for free. Then start to buy it on collateral and/or start a tab. It is a sad road that nobody wants to see a loved one go down, but it happens.

The only other way is you're getting it, is from hanging around your "Trust Fund Baby" friend that gives it away for free. He/She is the one that is only going to college cause mom and dad made them go and paid for it. Then providing a false sense of placement for the addict.

It is called being irresponsible, and immature. This has been happening long before this generation. We are just the parents now and they are us 20+ years ago.

For the record I've never done cocaine, but know quite a few people that have went down that path!

The worst I did in college (99-04) was some pot and psychedelic mushrooms...I don't think they were psychedelic at all and they tasted like s**t

How weird this subject would come up. My best friend from grade/middle/high school stopped by a few days ago talking about coke, he lives in Kansas City now...says it's very common down there. Edit..I just reread this and it may have come out wrong..neither me nor him do this, he was just saying he hears quite a bit about it down there. I told him I haven't heard about it in 30 years and I honestly thought that drug had faded away and had no idea it was still around at all.

Last edited:
Is there dancing too?
Not in that town where Footloose took place!

Honestly...coke probably isn't as expensive as some of us think and if you get 3-4 guys to chip in 20 dollars you are probably good to get a gram.

I've recently learned that cocaine is fairly prevalent on college campuses. Isn't it still really expensive? How can poor college kids afford it?

No, I've never tried it. I'm asking because I've heard that someone close to me is doing it at UNL.
Interesting - cocaine is a banned, illegal substance and it is still accessible? How can that be? Doesn’t banning something mean it goes away? Hmmm..I digress...

Have you ever heard a poor person say “I never got into drugs because I couldn’t afford it”? Me either.

Rumors are that they're also having sex!
giphy.gif

Interesting - cocaine is a banned, illegal substance and it is still accessible? How can that be? Doesn’t banning something mean it goes away? Hmmm..I digress...

Have you ever heard a poor person say “I never got into drugs because I couldn’t afford it”? Me either.
Yeah...all the time...then they go beg for money and get it.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain

It's not that expensive.

I'm sure most of you do not read things and just go with random limited observation and a "gut" feeling like the old days. But this article points out that the kids today are much better than most previous generations when it comes to destructive behaviors. Just find your year of graduation and the data will likely say your generation was worse in all ways.

https://www.vox.com/a/teens

When and where did you go to college?

This is nothing new for any college campus.
No its not new, but im speaking more generally.
Colleges have become nothing more than liberal indoctration centers where you are expected to behave like an animal with no control or guilt.
Its gotten much worse than "it happens". Now these things are becoming expected by society.

Had some friends who got into what they claimed was coke in college. Didn't look like how coke looks in the movies or anything, looked crappy and yellow to me, but what do I know. I never wanted any part of it.

The people they hung out with got real weird in a big hurry once the dealing and heavier drugs showed up. Had to stop hanging out with them, not my idea of fun having a bunch of sketchy dudes around looking for a fight.

I did the following drugs in college in the late 70's early 80's but still graduated with a 3.92 GPA:

Coke
Weed
Hash
Acid
Mushrooms
Qualudes
Thai Stick

It seemed back then everyone did drugs.

I must have lived a sheltered life. I have no idea what Thai Stick is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT