ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Walker

Oct 12, 2016
Like him a lot, 6'6 frame with serious strength and good athleticism, He can easily grow back into more weight and strength. Sure hope we land this kid, I like him more than Filiaga, my opionion. I think the coaches dropped the ball on this one. Wisconsin/Iowa offers guys like this all the time that are under-looked/under-rated and turn out awesome.

I think now the rating agencies won't give a good rating to any Nebraska kid no matter what, well, except if their last name is Steinkuler.

Reactions: kingsfsp and WHCSC
Like him a lot, 6'6 frame with serious strength and good athleticism, He can easily grow back into more weight and strength. Sure hope we land this kid, I like him more the Filiaga, my opionion. I think the coaches dropped the ball on this one. Wisconsin/Iowa offers guys like this all the time that are under-looked/under-rated and turn out awesome.

I think now the rating agencies won't give a good rating to any Nebraska kid no matter what, well, except if their last name is Steinkuler.
I agree. According to the article I read he went from 300 pounds to a "ripped" 260 by hitting the weights. It does make me wonder if he has not already maxed out then in how heavy he can get in terms of weight room development. He is young though so who knows?
But even if he stays at 260 he might make a very good DE.

I agree. According to the article I read he went from 300 pounds to a "ripped" 260 by hitting the weights. It does make me wonder if he has not already maxed out then in how heavy he can get in terms of weight room development. He is young though so who knows?
But even if he stays at 260 he might make a very good DE.

I watched his video and he can move too. Very interesting, if this kid was playing in Miami, I guarantee you he would be 4 stars, his strength is very good.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Like him a lot, 6'6 frame with serious strength and good athleticism, He can easily grow back into more weight and strength. Sure hope we land this kid, I like him more than Filiaga, my opionion. I think the coaches dropped the ball on this one. Wisconsin/Iowa offers guys like this all the time that are under-looked/under-rated and turn out awesome.

Interesting you mention Wisconsin. JJ Watt was a walk on. I believe their top OL this year was a walk on. Barry took the Nebraska formula and applied it to the Badgers. Seems to work. The problem in Nebraska is there are too many coaches at school s like Wyoming and SDSU that can see potential and offer scholarship which if I were 18 I would definitely consider. The scholarship has a value over paying for your education. It's been proven you can still play in the NFL and you don't need to play at a power five school. Guys like Walker who have the physical potential should be offered earlier than last minute. I won't blame him if he stays with Wyoming. This could be a teaching moment for the recruiting department in Lincoln.

Jergens? He is already listed as a 4*

Nebraska rarely has good true OT prospects. I hope Walker jumps on board as a development guy.

Reactions: headcard
Goodness man, you can't be serious.
If we locked down a kid who was lowly regarded by recruiting services (and likely viewed as a project/reach by our staff) and thus taking a slot off the board for a better prospect, we'd be seeing Micah Kreikemeier mentioned in posts. Maybe the kid is the next Dean Steinkuhler. Maybe it's best he stays with Wyoming. It's now his choice to decide whether he wants to find out.

If we locked down a kid who was lowly regarded by recruiting services (and likely viewed as a project/reach by our staff) and thus taking a slot off the board for a better prospect, we'd be seeing Micah Kreikemeier mentioned in posts. Maybe the kid is the next Dean Steinkuhler. Maybe it's best he stays with Wyoming. It's now his choice to decide whether he wants to find out.

IMO, our taking chances on guys who will get 2* from the recruiting services will keep us out of Top 15 contention on a regular basis.

We certainly have a handful of athletes here who can play a little ball with some dev time, but those guys are going to drag down the overall recruiting score even if they are a benefit to us on the field.

IMO, our taking chances on guys who will get 2* from the recruiting services will keep us out of Top 15 contention on a regular basis.

We certainly have a handful of athletes here who can play a little ball with some dev time, but those guys are going to drag down the overall recruiting score even if they are a benefit to us on the field.
I'm not sure we should get too caught up in overall recruiting score, but I believe only your Top 20 commits effect your score, so you can take a couple 2* fliers without it tanking your score, if you have 20+ commits.

I'm not sure we should get too caught up in overall recruiting score, but I believe only your Top 20 commits effect your score, so you can take a couple 2* fliers without it tanking your score, if you have 20+ commits.
We went for some very highly ranked talent, went 0-fer, and apparently this kid was the next live spot on the board. As for ranking, if we end up with the class size predicted, Walker's rating does not affect our Rivals ranking.

Yah but that's a Rivals rule right? If none of the other major services follow the same rule, we might be ok on Rivals and less so on say Scout or 247 or whoever.

I'm not particularly concerned by the issue, certainly others in Husker nation are more concerned if 18 is way way way better than 20, or not.

Reactions: headcard
I would hope he would flip to NU. But he might have some of that midwestern virtue where he made a promise to Wyoming, and now he's gonna keep it.

If he ends up at Wyoming, I'll hope the best for him. Maybe like Drew Wingard, Bohl can help him to become a freshman all american.

I would hope he would flip to NU. But he might have some of that midwestern virtue where he made a promise to Wyoming, and now he's gonna keep it.

If he ends up at Wyoming, I'll hope the best for him. Maybe like Drew Wingard, Bohl can help him to become a freshman all american.
I have heard this is exactly what is going on. It doesn't mean he won't flip, but it's not a guarantee.

I am starting to not care much about the recruiting rankings, i'd take drew ott over todd peat. I'd rather have higher real rankings. Work ethic and determination is big and Chris Walker has it. His strength and athleticism is top for a tall dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
I have heard this is exactly what is going on. It doesn't mean he won't flip, but it's not a guarantee.
I hear what you are saying, but if I were a young recruit today I would not put much stock in the idea that any school is "owed" anything in terms of how binding my verbal commitment is. The verbal commitments are by definition non binding, and they are so for a reason. And this is a classic case in point. Young kid dreams of playing for his home town team. Said team does not offer scholie so he goes to his backup choice. But home town team suddenly offers.... No brainer.
In a day and age where teams wait until after February 1st to fire position coaches, and where head coaches can run for the money and out the door to a different school at a moment's notice, the idea that a 17 year old kid somehow has his integrity in question if he decides to flip his verbal to another school is absurd.
Not saying you disagree with this headcard and nebcountry, but your posts raise the issue so I wanted to address it in a general way

I hear what you are saying, but if I were a young recruit today I would not put much stock in the idea that any school is "owed" anything in terms of how binding my verbal commitment is. The verbal commitments are by definition non binding, and they are so for a reason. And this is a classic case in point. Young kid dreams of playing for his home town team. Said team does not offer scholie so he goes to his backup choice. But home town team suddenly offers.... No brainer.
In a day and age where teams wait until after February 1st to fire position coaches, and where head coaches can run for the money and out the door to a different school at a moment's notice, the idea that a 17 year old kid somehow has his integrity in question if he decides to flip his verbal to another school is absurd.
Not saying you disagree with this headcard and nebcountry, but your posts raise the issue so I wanted to address it in a general way

Exactly, Craig Bohl could be head coach of Power 5 team next year.

Never had a Nebraska offer.

No, the former staff was lukewarm about him and he went with WYO. Late in the cycle, his name did come up quite a bit, and his father sort of made it known it was probably going to be a bridge too far. He was going to stick with his commitment.

Maybe not exactly analogous, but enough to get the drift.

No, the former staff was lukewarm about him and he went with WYO. Late in the cycle, his name did come up quite a bit, and his father sort of made it known it was probably going to be a bridge too far. He was going to stick with his commitment.

Maybe not exactly analogous, but enough to get the drift.
That was just speculation from fans. No evidence he was even close to getting an offer from us. You can crow all you want about how you are going to stick to your commitment but it means nothing if you don't actually have another offer. You also have a situation here where you have a father who was publicly miffed that his son didn't get a Husker offer, so in that situation he was even more driven to show us that we made a mistake. Not comparable at all.

That was just speculation from fans. No evidence he was even close to getting an offer from us. You can crow all you want about how you are going to stick to your commitment but it means nothing if you don't actually have another offer. Not comparable at all.

The other posters original statement had to do with the coaching staff learning a lesson about stringing on a Nebraska kid late for bigger fish.

They were in this scenario right from the get go with a legacy. I don't really care what CJ would or would not have done, his father was giving the perception that this kid wasn't going just flip because Riley batted eyes with him and perhaps throw out a late offer. Which is enough to say, this ain't Riley's first rodeo in Nebraska football politics vis a vis Walker. Heck its even the same coaching staff on the other side of the ledger.

And will continue to be for the forseeable future.

The other posters original statement had to do with the coaching staff learning a lesson about stringing on a Nebraska kid late for bigger fish.

They were in this scenario right from the get go with a legacy. I don't really care what CJ would or would not have done, his father was giving the perception that this kid wasn't going just flip because Riley batted eyes with him and perhaps throw out a late offer. Which is enough to say, this ain't Riley's first rodeo in Nebraska football politics vis a vis Walker. Heck its even the same coaching staff on the other side of the ledger.

And will continue to be for the forseeable future.
Who is "they" that were in this scenario? Bo? CJ Johnson was a 2015 recruit. It was Bo who didn't give him an offer. How is Riley supposed to learn something about stringing somebody along when he wasn't the coach during most of his recruitment? If Riley was looking at C.J after he was hired(and there is no evidence he was), the change of coaching staffs makes that a very different situation. There is virtually nothing at all comparable to the two situations no matter how much you are trying to make one. But I guess go ahead and try to shoehorn in some criticism of Riley in a previous situation where he wasn't even the coach for most of a player's recruitment if it makes you feel better.

Last edited:
Who is "they" that were in this scenario? Bo? CJ Johnson was a 2015 recruit. It was Bo who didn't give him an offer. How is Riley supposed to learn something about stringing somebody along when he wasn't the coach during most of his recruitment? If Riley was looking at C.J after he was hired(and there is no evidence he was), the change of coaching staffs makes that a very different situation. There is virtually nothing at all comparable to the two situations no matter how much you are trying to make one. But I guess go ahead and try to shoehorn in some criticism of Riley in a previous situation where he wasn't even the coach for most of a player's recruitment if it makes you feel better.

I'm not criticizing Riley. I'm defending Riley.

The other poster is acting like Riley has never seen this situation, will get his eye poked, and go "gee, I guess I got something to learn here".

I'm saying Riley has been around this bush and isn't about to be surprised by this.

As a side note, the man has coached 40 years and makes somewhere about $3 million a year. Whether Riley or Bo was sitting on the offer for CJ all year, makes no difference, at the end of the day, Riley fast approached signing day with the results of that decision, and was going to be left holding the bag. He had a kid on his hands who felt slighted, and certainly he has enough awareness to know that Bo didn't do him any favors slow rolling him. Times 2 if you include Jamie Burrow.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Not to stop a great fight, but an honest question.

How did Walker do against his class A competition? Did he dominate? I honestly dont know as I did not watch East at all.

How did Walker do against his class A competition? Did he dominate? I honestly dont know as I did not watch East at all.
Yes, he dominated. On D he was doubled most of the time but still made a lot of plays. More than held his own against Omaha North as well.

Honestly, there were better kids that don't have a Nebraska offer.

Honestly, there were better kids that don't have a Nebraska offer.
I disagree and so does the staff apparently. I never saw anyone at OT with better D1 potential. There may be a couple of guys more athletic but not at 6'6" with his room for growth. Add in his work ethic and determination and I think it makes him the states top prospect- at OT.

I disagree and so does the staff apparently. I never saw anyone at OT with better D1 potential. There may be a couple of guys more athletic but not at 6'6" with his room for growth. Add in his work ethic and determination and I think it makes him the states top prospect- at OT.

Never said anything about potential. The question was about dominating Class A and I said there were a couple better kids, or at least equals anyways. Just my opinion obviously, but I have seen at least 2 full game films on every good kid in Class A.

I really like Walker and think that he has a lot of upside. I like the guys like him who are athletic and don't have a lot of bad weight when they come in. The biggest issue is that his contribution may be a few years down the road when the guys we were in on were pretty much immediate contributors.

I really like Walker and think that he has a lot of upside. I like the guys like him who are athletic and don't have a lot of bad weight when they come in. The biggest issue is that his contribution may be a few years down the road when the guys we were in on were pretty much immediate contributors.
Well, the coaches know better than any of us and they offered the scholarship. Plan B or Plan C, I don't care. These coaches are not going to offer a scholie just to offer one.
To me, the biggest question I have is his potential to get bigger if he is to play OT. I read an article in the journal that said the kid went from 300 to 260 and is "ripped" because he hit the weight room. I hope that does not mean he is already maxed out.
But like I said... the coaches know I am sure. And if he does not work out at OT, a kid with that kind of motor and muscle could play DE perhaps

Young kid dreams of playing for his home town team. Said team does not offer scholie so he goes to his backup choice. But home town team suddenly offers.... No brainer.

Well said.

I'd add that with classes filling up earlier and earlier these days at given positions, there's some logic in committing somewhere before you're left out. How many times have we seen kids that commit late to a school have an impressive offer list, but most of the really good offers are no longer committable since those schools backed off months earlier?

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Well, the coaches know better than any of us and they offered the scholarship. Plan B or Plan C, I don't care. These coaches are not going to offer a scholie just to offer one.
To me, the biggest question I have is his potential to get bigger if he is to play OT. I read an article in the journal that said the kid went from 300 to 260 and is "ripped" because he hit the weight room. I hope that does not mean he is already maxed out.
But like I said... the coaches know I am sure. And if he does not work out at OT, a kid with that kind of motor and muscle could play DE perhaps
Question is whether he shifted from bad weight to good. Then adding 20 lbs per year of quality weight would get him in range by the end of his RS fresh year

Well said.

I'd add that with classes filling up earlier and earlier these days at given positions, there's some logic in committing somewhere before you're left out. How many times have we seen kids that commit late to a school have an impressive offer list, but most of the really good offers are no longer committable since those schools backed off months earlier?
exactly

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT