ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Brasfield

Have to disagree, this position isn't just about finding Nebraska kids to walk on.

This is an outstanding addition to the staff. Love it.

The folks arguing that we need a "Nebraska guy" are living in the past. You hire the best possible person for the position - someone who can work well in the state AND take on additional recruiting responsibilities around the country. We got a fantastic person for that role.

Number one requirement for this job - be an unemployed member of the head coach's former staff. Riley is a nice guy, and doesn't want to leave a former employee high and dry. And, I don't care that he wants to take care of one of his former staffers (meaning, it's fine by me that he hired him).

If YOU were a head coach, how much time, energy, and money do you want to allocate to finding players that are not good enough to get a scholarship anywhere? I know. A lot of NU fans LOVE walk-ons, the idea of walk-ons, maybe even the word "walk-ons".

Will he have responsibilities other than as a walk-on coordinator? Not that I read (okay, there was the working with the pro staffs). Could he have other recruiting responsibilities? Sure, but they are not listed on any record that I saw. Could I make up additional responsibilities to make myself feel better, absolutely, but I'm not going to at this point.
This post was edited on 3/15 12:54 PM by nebcountry

He will do plenty more recruiting than the walk-on responsibilities. All that the NCAA allows. Bank on it.

Originally posted by nebcountry:

If YOU were a head coach, how much time, energy, and money do you want to allocate to finding players that are not good enough to get a scholarship anywhere? I know. A lot of NU fans LOVE walk-ons, the idea of walk-ons, maybe even the word "walk-ons".
Number one requirement from the Huskerelini fans - have lack of knowledge of the topic but post anyways.

Kevin Steele gets fired at Clemson and Saban hires him at Alabama, in a recruiting role. People applaud Saban for the creativity and "unfair advantage(s) of such a 'large recruiting staff'", although it was overblown. Brasfield lost his job when Riley resigned, looks to coach in the state of Texas - gets passed up - and people downplay the hire because he was on staff at Oregon State with coach Riley.

I guess he should've kept Jamrog, or Els.
sick0007.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/15 2:45 PM by HuskerTimOmaha

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:

Originally posted by nebcountry:

Number one requirement from the Huskerelini fans - have lack of knowledge of the topic but post anyways.

Kevin Steele gets fired at Clemson and Saban hires him at Alabama, in a recruiting role. People applaud Saban for the creativity and "unfair advantage(s) of such a 'large recruiting staff'", although it was overblown. Brasfield lost his job when Riley resigned, looks to coach in the state of Texas - gets passed up - and people downplay the hire because he was on staff at Oregon State with coach Riley.

I guess he should've kept Jamrog, or Els.
sick0007.r191677.gif

I like the way you carried over "Number one requirement" theme in your post, it got a chuckle out of me.

The only thing I still wonder about, are there any more OSU coaches that can't get a job so we'll have to "make room" for them.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:

Bingo.

Originally posted by Native Nebraskan:
Schools in Texas are hiring local high school coaches for this position. Reason, they already know the high school coaches in the state. The key to this job is a relationship with high school coaches and this comes with time. Riley doesn't have years to build this relationship. In my opinion Riley missed with this hire. He could have found a coach with 20 or so years within the state that really knows the coaches and they know him. No bone for Nebraska high school coaches at UNL.
I think you missed reading the "Job Description" of this position. It is much more than just recruiting walk-ons from Nebraska High Schools.

I will openly admit that I am not the most knowledgeable person regarding who all the Nebraska High School Coaches are and what there backgrounds are, but how many have NFL experience and contacts? Interacting with all the NFL teams was one of the major parts of the role's responsibilities.

Personally, I think it was a great hire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT