ADVERTISEMENT

Chins = McBride

Crazyhole

All-American
Jun 4, 2004
1990 McBride, that is. Actually maybe not even that good.

I dont understand the concept behind what Chins is trying to accomplish. I get the idea behind the 3-4, but you go into that scheme knowing that you need to use your linebackers and safeties to blitz, otherwise you're just giving the qb time to sit back and wait for the receivers to find an opening. On top of that, we play almost exclusively zone coverage and give a huge cushion so basically we go into every play knowing the qb won't be pressured and his receivers can just cross zones to find an opening in the 5-15 yard range. So we put our linebackers in the impossible position of having to read and react to not only covering the edge on the run but also receivers breaking out of coverage across the middle. It seems like the worst of both worlds to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would be much more effective to run a base 4-3 with a heavy nickel package so we could put more guys across the line and get pressure on the qb to make quicker reads, and press the receivers much closer to the LOS. The "sit back and wait" approach that he uses basically just means we are ceding 15 yards to the offense and hoping they make a mistake.

I dont understand the concept behind what Chins is trying to accomplish. I get the idea behind the 3-4, but you go into that scheme knowing that you need to use your linebackers and safeties to blitz, otherwise you're just giving the qb time to sit back and wait for the receivers to find an opening. On top of that, we play almost exclusively zone coverage and give a huge cushion so basically we go into every play knowing the qb won't be pressured and his receivers can just cross zones to find an opening in the 5-15 yard range. So we put our linebackers in the impossible position of having to read and react to not only covering the edge on the run but also receivers breaking out of coverage across the middle. It seems like the worst of both worlds to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it would be much more effective to run a base 4-3 with a heavy nickel package so we could put more guys across the line and get pressure on the qb to make quicker reads, and press the receivers much closer to the LOS. The "sit back and wait" approach that he uses basically just means we are ceding 15 yards to the offense and hoping they make a mistake.
We were doing a fair amount of blitzing, but they were picking it up with ease. Sometimes the bllitzer would loop around and try to catch the quarterback on the back side. That takes entirely too long and the blitzer never got there. We got four quarterback sacks yesterday, but it meant almost nothing

Chins isn't even close to McBride. Ohio State knew exactly what we were running most of the time because Chinander never mixes anything up, and even when we do try to disguise, we do it poorly and almost always tip it off anyway.

You make a good point about the linebackers. Our linebackers aren't the greatest, but we constantly put them into conflict on their assignments which makes it even worse. When we're defending zone read plays, we usually do what's called a scrape exchange where the DE, or OLB in our case, crashes to the running back while the inside backer has the responsibility of the qb. Well the problem with that is if they have a more athletic qb than our linebackers, he's going to beat them to the edge every time. It also puts that linebacker in conflict when they have inside gap responsibilities, but all of a sudden has to contain the qb on the edge. Our linebackers aren't good enough or athletic enough to run this, and we need to do something else imo.

There's nothing wrong with running zone coverage. It's when you run the same type of zone coverage every time and never disguise it where it becomes easy to pick apart, especially with our players being slow to their responsibilities.

We were doing a fair amount of blitzing, but they were picking it up with ease. Sometimes the bllitzer would loop around and try to catch the quarterback on the back side. That takes entirely too long and the blitzer never got there. We got four quarterback sacks yesterday, but it meant almost nothing

And this has happened now for the 3 straight years.. QB always feels the pressure and tucks it up field...

When we did make a sack they converted on 3 and long..

Reactions: countrybob
I don't think we're ever going to take that next step defensively under Chinander. His defenses are too easy to predict, and although the bad teams might not always exploit it, the good teams will every time. I don't think you have much of a scheme when it works decently against bad offensive teams, but constantly gets exposed against good offensive teams.

Reactions: scarletred
I don't think we're ever going to take that next step defensively under Chinander. His defenses are too easy to predict, and although the bad teams might not always exploit it, the good teams will every time. I don't think you have much of a scheme when it works decently against bad offensive teams, but constantly gets exposed against good offensive teams.
I don't think Frost will ever get rid of Chinander. We'll need to win games with offense in my opinion.

The offense only scoring 17 + gifting the other team 7 is as bad, if not worse, than the defense giving up 45

Reactions: mavsker
I don't think Frost will ever get rid of Chinander. We'll need to win games with offense in my opinion.

Nebraska will never consistently win the West with just out scoring teams..

Either Chins needs to change his 3-4 or SF needs to find a better defensive coord..

Callahans down fall was not getting rid of Cosgrove and Riley let Eichorst make his change for him and didn’t have any say..

3-4 should free up the linebackers/d end to make plays or bring plus pressure wherever the defense dictates
Getting sacks against OSU was a good thing but the pressure needs to be dialed up even more
Maybe the o line of OSU had something to do with that
The slot is still killing this defense just as it did last year, what’s Chin’s answer for that I have not seen it
Saw an improvement in run defense yesterday
Short season have to make big leaps and corrections every week
Big game this week against Bucky

Chins isn't even close to McBride. Ohio State knew exactly what we were running most of the time because Chinander never mixes anything up, and even when we do try to disguise, we do it poorly and almost always tip it off anyway.

You make a good point about the linebackers. Our linebackers aren't the greatest, but we constantly put them into conflict on their assignments which makes it even worse. When we're defending zone read plays, we usually do what's called a scrape exchange where the DE, or OLB in our case, crashes to the running back while the inside backer has the responsibility of the qb. Well the problem with that is if they have a more athletic qb than our linebackers, he's going to beat them to the edge every time. It also puts that linebacker in conflict when they have inside gap responsibilities, but all of a sudden has to contain the qb on the edge. Our linebackers aren't good enough or athletic enough to run this, and we need to do something else imo.

There's nothing wrong with running zone coverage. It's when you run the same type of zone coverage every time and never disguise it where it becomes easy to pick apart, especially with our players being slow to their responsibilities.
The more I watch of Chins approach, the more apparent it becomes that our strong side backer is always in a lose-lose position. Just way too many variables for him to have to take into account on every play for any level of success. Basically he's almost always in a position where by the time he knows what's happening, he's already behind the play.

The reason I compared him to McBride 1990 is that we were doing the same thing. The switch to a 4-3 had as much to do with simplifying things for the OLB as it was getting more speed on the field.

3-4 should free up the linebackers/d end to make plays or bring plus pressure wherever the defense dictates
Getting sacks against OSU was a good thing but the pressure needs to be dialed up even more
Maybe the o line of OSU had something to do with that
The slot is still killing this defense just as it did last year, what’s Chin’s answer for that I have not seen it
Saw an improvement in run defense yesterday
Short season have to make big leaps and corrections every week
Big game this week against Bucky
As far as getting beat by the slot, I think when you're in man coverage, the inside should always have priority. If your man does a double move and gets open to the outside, you just have to live with it. But the priority should always be taking away those easy throws inside, and we don't do a very good job of doing that.

When we're in zone and the linebackers are covering the middle of the field, they just look uncomfortable and not very natural. They don't do a very good job of anticipating what the receiver is trying to do and where he wants to get to. We need to teach our linebackers a lot better that when you're in zone, you don't just go to a spot, but you read the receiver or receivers who are entering your zone, and play accordingly. Then you can anticipate where the receiver is going to go and where the qb is most likely to throw the ball.

Chinanders fault, it is not. Play for the kids, he cannot. Let go of your hate, leads to the dark side, it does......

Charlie forgot more about defense than Chin will ever know. Chin has done nothing to exude hope or confidence in Husker fans. It’s like he is wearing a blindfold during our games as he repeatedly gets schooled by offensive coordinators.

Charlie forgot more about defense than Chin will ever know. Chin has done nothing to exude hope or confidence in Husker fans. It’s like he is wearing a blindfold during our games as he repeatedly gets schooled by offensive coordinators.
Truth, this jedi speaks. Much knowledge, he has......

I have never liked the 3-4 since we switched with Diaco, we don’t have the talent on all three levels to run this defense and very seldom get QB hurries and when we do the QB escapes and makes yardage...
We were 4-3 before Disco .

I think McBride only had 2x where his defense wasn't top 25 - please do not ever compare these two ever again. Chinander is a complete clown and has no idea what he is doing. This is the same defense as Bob Diaco and it stinks.

It's still a scheme problem to me..

he wants the offense to be quick strike (they aren't consistently that)

and the D to be aggressive (busted plays)

The offense has to help the defense out this year, but 17 points isn't going to do it.

IF Frost actually wanted to give us a chance, he would change to a much less aggressive scheme.. make the other team earn it down the entire field. it might reduce opponents scoring by 30% and give us a better chance to win.

You can't let your offense suck and then let your defense be so aggressive that you get burned over and over. That is what happened yesterday.

Chinander has the defense playing harder than I have ever seen. Kudos to him on that. We still gave up 40 some on defense so it proves again he probably isn’t the guy who gets us to the next level.

Reactions: oldjar07

We blitz, we get burned worse than we were yesterday against them period, get burned on a huge run by the RB or even maybe Fields as well as the pass.

We blitz, we get burned worse than we were yesterday against them period, get burned on a huge run by the RB or even maybe Fields as well as the pass.
Sounds like a systemic problem to me. Blitz = get beat. Don't blitz = get beat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT