ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago trip recap

Originally posted by msuwest4:
Next time you're in Chicago just be sure you have the Uber app downloaded on your phone...you'll be picked up an on your way in no time. I don't think I've taken an actual cab in the city for at least a year. All Uber, all the time.

This post was edited on 3/16 11:02 AM by msuwest4
Thanks. I had never done it before & GBR recommended it. I should have taken his advice.

Originally posted by sparky62:
Next time you're in Chicago just be sure you have the Uber app downloaded on your phone...you'll be picked up an on your way in no time. I don't think I've taken an actual cab in the city for at least a year. All Uber, all the time.

Thanks. I had never done it before & GBR recommended it. I should have taken his advice.
Was shopping at Hy Vee this morning and there was a fire crew there getting groceries. They were in the sauce aisle and they were buying bbq and wing sauce. I said..."Hey. This one is made by a Nebraska fireman." He said, "Yea. I tailgate with him. He's a great guy." I agreed. End of story

Originally posted by sparky62:

No problem. It's very straightforward. You open the app, your phone automatically plots your location (or you can enter in where you'll be)...you choose the type of pick up you want (e.g., standard car or "black car service", etc.) and hit go and then it will show you the name of your driver, their picture, user-rating, and a GPS based accurate and real-time estimate for pick up. With so many Uber drivers in Chicago it's usually 10 minutes AT MOST.

The nice thing is that the app will track their car location and you can actually see where they are as they move toward you. The driver will check to make sure it is you they are picking up (so that your ride doesn't get stolen by someone else), and the entire expense is auto-charged (tip included) to whatever credit card you set up with Uber, so there's no exchanging of money when the ride is done.

Cab companies are not pleased with all of this, but as a customer I'd argue they should stop complaining and start catching up with the consumer demand for this kind of service and technology. Frankly you'd think the cab companies should have been at the forefront of this kind of technology and pick-up service.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT