ADVERTISEMENT

Check out this score from Iowa H.S. football...

MAG

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
Class D-6 Cody-Kilgore beat Sumner-Eddyville-Miller 100-0! Amazing. I don't think I've seen anything like that before. Crazy stuff.

GCjn1cU.gif

In South Dakota Thursday night, Pierre beat Spearfish 103-0. This was a playoff game. Yes, I typed that correctly.

Nebraska used to have a "45 rule." If a team was behind by 45 or more points in the second half, the game was declared over. It was a mistake to eliminate that rule.

In New York a coach just got suspended for leaving his starters in for a game that they were up big in...yikes. These coaches would be fired if this happened up there.

Reactions: D-Ram
I’m confused, those are Nebraska schools.
According to my local sportscaster, Dave Webber of channel 6 here in Omaha, those are Iowa schools. That's what he said. I rewound and played it back to make sure. Maybe Web's is getting a bit senile.

Last edited:
According to my local sportscaster, Dave Webber of channel 6 here in Omaha, those are Iowa schools. That's what he said. I rewound and played it back to make sure. Maybe Web's is getting a bit senile.
Yeah he must have just slipped up, I thought it would be strange for the Iowa and Nebraska to have consolidated schools involving 2 and 3 towns respectively with the same names.

In South Dakota Thursday night, Pierre beat Spearfish 103-0. This was a playoff game. Yes, I typed that correctly.
Saw that on Rapid City news as well. All kinds of hate mail about that one - the victorious coach should be fired for running up the score, etc. Cries for a mercy rule, which I thought SD already had, but must be mistaken.

Nebraska used to have a "45 rule." If a team was behind by 45 or more points in the second half, the game was declared over. It was a mistake to eliminate that rule.
It's now a running clock (except for after scoring plays, penalties, measurements, injury timeouts, and team timeouts) when a team is up by 35 or more in the second half.

Saw that on Rapid City news as well. All kinds of hate mail about that one - the victorious coach should be fired for running up the score, etc. Cries for a mercy rule, which I thought SD already had, but must be mistaken.
Man if it was an intentional run up that’s not cool. I remember about a decade ago an 8 man team in Kansas score like 70 points on a team in the first quarter and they kept it under 100 total. Coach was not bragging at all about that first quarter either, they were just playing ball and couldn’t stop scoring.

They changed it to a running clock so all the kids get to play. Especially when teams travel some distance to play a game

Man if it was an intentional run up that’s not cool. I remember about a decade ago an 8 man team in Kansas score like 70 points on a team in the first quarter and they kept it under 100 total. Coach was not bragging at all about that first quarter either, they were just playing ball and couldn’t stop scoring.
In a game in Kansas between bigger schools during this season, Emporia beat Topeka Highland Park 98-16. Some people grumbled, but by all accounts Emporia's coach did things the right way. Their leading rusher only had 6 carries on the night; 2 or 3 went for TDs. Emporia's last TD was a 50-yard QB sneak by their 9th grade QB who usually just plays in freshmen games. I have zero problem with a team running their normal offense in a game as long as they've subbed down and played everyone. I have to come across a freshman or JV team that utilizes the entire varsity playbook.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT