ADVERTISEMENT

Celebration or Sigh of Relief

If Nebraska defeats either Northwestern or Minnesota, how will you react?

• With a Sigh of Relief

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • With a Celebration

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Somewhere in the Middle

Votes: 27 40.9%

• Total voters

9and4

All-American
Dec 4, 2013
Baltimore
I grew up in Lincoln during the 1970s, and went to UNL in the early '80s. Nearly every victory in that 15 years was greeted with a sigh of relief. The exceptions to the rules were the 1971 Orange Bowl vs. LSU, the Game of the Century in 1971 vs. OU, and the 1978 victory at home against OU. Even the 1972 Orange Bowl victory against Alabama — the one that secured the 1971 national championship — seemed to elicit more sighs of relief than genuine celebrations.

That trend continued, obviously, as Nebraska continued to field national championship contenders even after I graduated, from 1984 through 2001, at least. Even after 2001, when Nebraska started to struggle but more often than not fielded winning teams, we seemed only to be relieved by victories and not excited by them, with a very few exceptions.

So, here we are, mired in a nine-game losing streak stretching back to last year. On Oct. 27 against Bethune-Cookman, we have a definite Sigh of Relief victory in the offing. But let's say Nebraska ends the losing streak against either Northwestern or Minnesota. Where will you be on the reaction meter between Sigh of Relief and Celebration?

I'm pretty sure I'll be right in the middle.

Reactions: mmunso7
I firmly believe 75% of this teams struggles are mental. They can' t get that losing mind set out of the back of their head, as bad as they may want it to be gone. Every loss just helps that feeling get bigger and bigger. This team is better than 0-5. With the right mind set think we lose to Mich for sure all others have been beatable. If we can get a win this weekend. I think we could end up going 5-2 the rest of the way.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT