ADVERTISEMENT

Casey and Broc

From Evan Bland's article in the WH:
"Teammates agreed Purdy has the stronger throwing arm while Smothers — a former standout track sprinter from Alabama — may have a quicker first step and more depth of knowledge of the playbook."

Sounds like they can run last year's offense if they want to - I remember Whip saying he had to learn Frost's terminology. He's just choosing not to run those kinds of plays. I'm kinda annoyed with Whip after last Saturday, feels like he just wanted to play his guy and run his plays regardless of who gave us the best chance to win.

Let’s be honest, do you really think we’re going to win based on if he does or doesn’t announce who the starter is??
No, but that doesn't change the fact that no coach in this situation would announce the starter now. They're forcing Minnesota to spend time practicing Smother's zone read game. The fact they're probably going to lose is irrelevant to whether it'd be dumb to announce the starter ahead of time.

I'm not a Frost guy and am glad he's gone, but we'd have a much better chance on Sat with Logan and last years offense with frost than we'll have with Whip and Purdy.
Based on what?

smothers is 0-1 as a starter and played like crap while doing it

didn’t even cover the point spread

Reactions: TheNewNU
accept that is really was not that bad. We moved the ball on every team we played including OSU.

Not defending Frost as a whole but the offense totals were not terrible. Just everythgin else and the record.
Frost's offense struggled in the red zone last year, 53 trips in the red zone only 41 scores and only 35 TDs. Bad FG kicking also led to Nebraska going for it on 4th down 24 times, converting 14. 4 of those were against Fordham (4 for 4 on 4th) and 3 more against Iowa (3 for 3 on 4th). When you lose all of your games by one score, that is a huge factor.

Offense was good between the 20s, average to slightly below average in the red zone.

Frost's offense struggled in the red zone last year, 53 trips in the red zone only 41 scores and only 35 TDs. Bad FG kicking also led to Nebraska going for it on 4th down 24 times, converting 14. 4 of those were against Fordham (4 for 4 on 4th) and 3 more against Iowa (3 for 3 on 4th). When you lose all of your games by one score, that is a huge factor.

Offense was good between the 20s, average to slightly below average in the red zone.
can't argue that. We were experts at moving the ball up and down the middle of the field.

How to win when you lack the Oline you want and your starting QB is not able to take the field. Maybe game plan around the strengths of your two backup. Smothers runs better, but can pass. Purdy throws a better ball, but can also run. Mix and match. Get some pitch plays working. If Whipple wants to win another game, he's going to have to get out of his comfort zone.

Especially when led by smothers who just pissed down his leg the whole game and then fumbled it away
Smothers kept us in that game. For a first time starter against a top 10 defense and a team that has owned us, he played better than you would expect. Yes, when shit went sideways (blocked punt TD) he started pressing and pissed it down his leg. But be reasonable, he had us in the game and played well for 3 quarters. There is NO truth to saying he pissed down his leg the whole game. You're losing credibility with that take.

Smothers kept us in that game. For a first time starter against a top 10 defense and a team that has owned us, he played better than you would expect. Yes, when shit went sideways (blocked punt TD) he started pressing and pissed it down his leg. But be reasonable, he had us in the game and played well for 3 quarters. There is NO truth to saying he pissed down his leg the whole game. You're losing credibility with that take.
for 3 quarters, smothers accounted for 200 yards of total offense

he then fumbled away the game, was sacked for a ridiculous safety and stamped it with an interception in the end zone all in the 4th quarter

last 4 drives under smothers: (NU up by 5) fumble, (NU up by 5) safety, (game tied) 3 & out, (NU down 7) interception

here's the game, which is where I am basing my judgement

Last edited:
No, but that doesn't change the fact that no coach in this situation would announce the starter now. They're forcing Minnesota to spend time practicing Smother's zone read game. The fact they're probably going to lose is irrelevant to whether it'd be dumb to announce the starter ahead of time.
Is it irrelevant? You pick a guy, game plan, then go punch them in the mouth…then maybe we don’t lose. We’re going to lose by not sticking with one guy and trying to game plan with two. JMO

for 3 quarters, smothers accounted for 100 yards of total offense

he then fumbled away the game, was sacked for a ridiculous safety and stamped it with an interception in the end zone all in the 4th quarter

here's the game, which is where I am basing my judgement

See, I've been noticing lately that you are a little fast and loose with the facts. You post up that video for me, and I fast forward to 33:25 and freeze it on a frame that shows the game at 14:54 of the 4th quarter and what do I see? Logan Smothers, 77 rush yards, 125 pass yards, 2 total td. Now I'm not a math major, but I don't think that 77 plus 125 is "100 yards of total offense." I already agreed his 4th quarter was terrible, but no matter how much you distort the facts to fit your diatribe he didn't piss down his leg or play like crap the entire game.

See, I've been noticing lately that you are a little fast and loose with the facts. You post up that video for me, and I fast forward to 33:25 and freeze it on a frame that shows the game at 14:54 of the 4th quarter and what do I see? Logan Smothers, 77 rush yards, 125 pass yards, 2 total td. Now I'm not a math major, but I don't think that 77 plus 125 is "100 yards of total offense." I already agreed his 4th quarter was terrible, but no matter how much you distort the facts to fit your diatribe he didn't piss down his leg or play like crap the entire game.
typo. pressed 1 instead of 2. honest mistake.

Is it irrelevant? You pick a guy, game plan, then go punch them in the mouth…then maybe we don’t lose. We’re going to lose by not sticking with one guy and trying to game plan with two. JMO
Okay, it's definitely relevant. It would be relevant because it would be dumb to do as you suggest. They have already picked a guy. They just don't need to tell their opponent. Hell, why not just tell them what play we're running, just go punch them in the mouth, right?

He played well for three quarters, which is three more quarters of good play than Purdy has for us.
he did better in that game than purdy has ever done, I agree with that

whoever plays QB this week just needs to take the snap and throw it as far as they possibly can for Palmer to run under it

Okay, it's definitely relevant. It would be relevant because it would be dumb to do as you suggest. They have already picked a guy. They just don't need to tell their opponent. Hell, why not just tell them what play we're running, just go punch them in the mouth, right?
So, telling them we’re going with both “is not telling them what our plan is?” First of all, the media is blasting this out for everyone to see. Second of all, there’s no scheming here dude….we are what we are, and there’s nothing to hide here.
Lastly, I’m not saying to tell them what plays we are running either. I’m saying to pick someone, (tell or don’t) IDGAF, and game plan so that we don’t look like we have our heads up our asses when we take the field.
By going with TWO to game plan, takes an amount of reps from ONE to give to the other, and to me, that’s dumb.

So, telling them we’re going with both “is not telling them what our plan is?” First of all, the media is blasting this out for everyone to see. Second of all, there’s no scheming here dude….we are what we are, and there’s nothing to hide here.
Lastly, I’m not saying to tell them what plays we are running either. I’m saying to pick someone, (tell or don’t) IDGAF, and game plan so that we don’t look like we have our heads up our asses when we take the field.
By going with TWO to game plan, takes an amount of reps from ONE to give to the other, and to me, that’s dumb.
I think we need both to be ready. Actually maybe we should have 4?ready given how bad our O line is

I’m saying to pick someone, (tell or don’t) IDGAF, and game plan so that we don’t look like we have our heads up our asses when we take the field.
If this is where you're at, then we are in total agreement except I do GAF whether they tell. I still say that would be dumb, even if it makes almost no difference in the result. I don't want them to use both, so if that's what they're saying then I apologize, it turns out I don't know WTF I'm talking about.

Reactions: keilwitzg
If this is where you're at, then we are in total agreement except I do GAF whether they tell. I still say that would be dumb, even if it makes almost no difference in the result. I don't want them to use both, so if that's what they're saying then I apologize, it turns out I don't know WTF I'm talking about.
As Gary Barnett said today on 590, “I would wait. A lot can change over the next few weeks”. His point in part was that there are going to be guys available who aren’t now. He didn’t think MJ was a realistic candidate for ASU or CU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT