ADVERTISEMENT

Can NU slow down the Buffs offense?

Sorry, I can’t shake the image of our defense over the same time period- especially last year.
I hear ya, but I’ve been able to shake the image, simply because we have a real coaching staff leading this team.

If anybody needs any motivation, I’m listening to 850 KOA in Denver and the condescending, arrogant, demeaning b.s. is in full press mode. Their quoting Ol’ coach Mac’s (the righteous one) apparent recent comments making fun of Nebraska and T.O. Making fun of the people, State of Nebraska, and Lincoln itself, and why anybody in their right mind would go to NU. If I could strap on a helmet and play, I would play possessed. Karma’s a bitch.
Including the 2001 game, through 2010, Nebraska still holds a 6-4 edge. And the nine years prior to 2001, the Huskers went 9-0 against them. Hopefully Saturday will continue the trend, even if it's just by one point!

If anybody needs any motivation, I’m listening to 850 KOA in Denver and the condescending, arrogant, demeaning b.s. is in full press mode. Their quoting Ol’ coach Mac’s (the righteous one) apparent recent comments making fun of Nebraska and T.O. Making fun of the people, State of Nebraska, and Lincoln itself, and why anybody in their right mind would go to NU. If I could strap on a helmet and play, I would play possessed. Karma’s a bitch.
Bill McCartney was a self-righteous jack a$$ when he was the CU coach. And apparently he still is.

Last edited:
Some funny comments in this thread. Interesting comments about CSU. Many said the same things and worse about the Huskers defense. The next set of coaches are always the greatest and the last guys dummies in Husker lore. We'll see how real that is.

I admit, I think the Husker defense will be much better but more due to experience in some key places rather than more X's and O's.

I wouldn't compare CU's game at Nebraska to Montez' games on the road at places like USC, Washington, etc. Sorry, don't buy that one. Yeah Montez struggled in those contests but that isn't even apples and oranges. It's watermelon vs. seedless grapes. Much like NU has some new defensive punch, CU has some new offensive punch with Chiaverini taking over play calling duties and Roper tutoring Montez. As most of us saw, Montez gets the ball out a lot quicker now and does a lot better in pre-snap reads. CU also held the cards close to vest. Very vanilla on offense and defense a week ago. Maybe just to get the kinks out in game 1, but certainly a very limited set in game 1. So, while CU won't be facing a defense nearly as porous as CSU's, the offense will also without a doubt be much better this week.

With that said, we will struggle to run on NU because NU has better athletes that will fill the gaps better and bigger defensive linemen that will be harder to push. We won't see guys ripping off 50 yard runs untouched to the end zone. I wouldn't discount those runs though. McMillian in particular is a slick runner with great moves and excellent acceleration for a guy nearly 215.

Defensively, I think it's interesting no one talks about CSU's offense. They had a former 4* QB and 5th year senior throw for school record in touchdowns and passing yards the previous week and a 4*/5* WR set records at WR. According to this article on NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000939305), their 2 top WRs are top 10 NFL prospects. Outside of 1 defensive breakdown, they were contained. Certainly no records of any kind set.

Much, much, ballyhoo for a 4* QB who hasn't played since his junior year in high school with Husker rags bragging that McIntyre recruited him and he said no. I'm sure he will be great at some point, but game 1 is going to be a bit of a shocker if he is expecting 54 point offensive explosions as some have put in this thread. Looking at his ability to throw the ball, getting 54 points is going to be a challenge right now. He has a long ways to go as a passer quite honestly. He is light years from where Montez is as a passer much less our last opponent KJ Carta-Samuels. Yes he's a better runner than both, but he's going to have to pass to setup that running game. While a really good runner, he's not Khalil Tate either.

Nebraska does have some WRs that are really good. That will help your QB quite a bit I'm sure, but just not sure how much they can dominate with a QB that is not a top notch passer. You had to pass so much last year being behind by so much that your WRs got lots of balls their way. They also had a QB who could get them the ball. Most of the offense is likely going to come from the ground to start with outside of those jet sweep passes that are more like handoffs. This gets us back to the running game. Some new blood there of course, but no college experience outside of a guy who really struggled a year ago. Lots of 'ifs' and 'buts' there.

All of this leads me to believe this game scores in the 20's. CU isn't good on the road at all. That is true, but I just can't see a freshman QB having his way just because 90k people show up and want him to real bad. As for NU stopping CU, I think that is where the game will be won or lost. Ultimately, you'll have to be a lot better than you were a year ago.

Some funny comments in this thread. Interesting comments about CSU. Many said the same things and worse about the Huskers defense. The next set of coaches are always the greatest and the last guys dummies in Husker lore. We'll see how real that is.

I admit, I think the Husker defense will be much better but more due to experience in some key places rather than more X's and O's.

I wouldn't compare CU's game at Nebraska to Montez' games on the road at places like USC, Washington, etc. Sorry, don't buy that one. Yeah Montez struggled in those contests but that isn't even apples and oranges. It's watermelon vs. seedless grapes. Much like NU has some new defensive punch, CU has some new offensive punch with Chiaverini taking over play calling duties and Roper tutoring Montez. As most of us saw, Montez gets the ball out a lot quicker now and does a lot better in pre-snap reads. CU also held the cards close to vest. Very vanilla on offense and defense a week ago. Maybe just to get the kinks out in game 1, but certainly a very limited set in game 1. So, while CU won't be facing a defense nearly as porous as CSU's, the offense will also without a doubt be much better this week.

With that said, we will struggle to run on NU because NU has better athletes that will fill the gaps better and bigger defensive linemen that will be harder to push. We won't see guys ripping off 50 yard runs untouched to the end zone. I wouldn't discount those runs though. McMillian in particular is a slick runner with great moves and excellent acceleration for a guy nearly 215.

Defensively, I think it's interesting no one talks about CSU's offense. They had a former 4* QB and 5th year senior throw for school record in touchdowns and passing yards the previous week and a 4*/5* WR set records at WR. According to this article on NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000939305), their 2 top WRs are top 10 NFL prospects. Outside of 1 defensive breakdown, they were contained. Certainly no records of any kind set.

Much, much, ballyhoo for a 4* QB who hasn't played since his junior year in high school with Husker rags bragging that McIntyre recruited him and he said no. I'm sure he will be great at some point, but game 1 is going to be a bit of a shocker if he is expecting 54 point offensive explosions as some have put in this thread. Looking at his ability to throw the ball, getting 54 points is going to be a challenge right now. He has a long ways to go as a passer quite honestly. He is light years from where Montez is as a passer much less our last opponent KJ Carta-Samuels. Yes he's a better runner than both, but he's going to have to pass to setup that running game. While a really good runner, he's not Khalil Tate either.

Nebraska does have some WRs that are really good. That will help your QB quite a bit I'm sure, but just not sure how much they can dominate with a QB that is not a top notch passer. You had to pass so much last year being behind by so much that your WRs got lots of balls their way. They also had a QB who could get them the ball. Most of the offense is likely going to come from the ground to start with outside of those jet sweep passes that are more like handoffs. This gets us back to the running game. Some new blood there of course, but no college experience outside of a guy who really struggled a year ago. Lots of 'ifs' and 'buts' there.

All of this leads me to believe this game scores in the 20's. CU isn't good on the road at all. That is true, but I just can't see a freshman QB having his way just because 90k people show up and want him to real bad. As for NU stopping CU, I think that is where the game will be won or lost. Ultimately, you'll have to be a lot better than you were a year ago.
TLDR

Solich has yet to succeed at a clip to take notice.

Callahan won't touch a HC position anymore.

Pelini will probably be at YSU for who knows how long but probably not HC at any big program again.

Riley just keeps it average where ever he goes...not appealing.

So I'm not sure what makes you think they were all great coaches. They weren't and their results then and now prove it.

TL represented the U very well, however I take exception with your comment about how he could get the ball to our guys.....he got the ball to the OTHER guys pretty good. Even Jerry Jones called him a turnover machine. And proceeded to do the same thing at practice in the NFL.....but man, he's got a nice spiral.

Reactions: bshirt73
Solich has yet to succeed at a clip to take notice.

Callahan won't touch a HC position anymore.

Pelini will probably be at YSU for who knows how long but probably not HC at any big program again.

Riley just keeps it average where ever he goes...not appealing.

So I'm not sure what makes you think they were all great coaches. They weren't and their results then and now prove it.

TL represented the U very well, however I take exception with your comment about how he could get the ball to our guys.....he got the ball to the OTHER guys pretty good. Even Jerry Jones called him a turnover machine. And proceeded to do the same thing at practice in the NFL.....but man, he's got a nice spiral.
Fair enough, but my point was all those coaches were the next great thing at the time for NU fans. I mean, Callahan went to the superbowl. How often did we hear that. Pelini won a MNC at LSU. Riley won 10 games at Oregon State of all places and so on and so forth.

TL could throw the ball is my point and because you got behind so often, he had to throw it a lot. Frequency brought his numbers up. All of his numbers including the bad ones. The frequency helped your WRs get a lot more touches and opportunities. They were really good but not necessarily big play guys.

Fair enough, but my point was all those coaches were the next great thing at the time for NU fans. I mean, Callahan went to the superbowl. How often did we hear that. Pelini won a MNC at LSU. Riley won 10 games at Oregon State of all places and so on and so forth.

TL could throw the ball is my point and because you got behind so often, he had to throw it a lot. Frequency brought his numbers up. All of his numbers including the bad ones. The frequency helped your WRs get a lot more touches and opportunities. They were really good but not necessarily big play guys.
If you don't want to hear Husker fans talk about and support Nebraska football, maybe you should stay off Husker message boards. You act like you know more about this team than Husker fans, but you obviously don't know shit. Go away.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
If you don't want to hear Husker fans talk about and support Nebraska football, maybe you should stay off Husker message boards. You act like you know more about this team than Husker fans, but you obviously don't know shit. Go away.
I know more than you. Bye Felicia.

I quess we’ll just play the game then you can find out first hand the quality of players we have picked up since last season...

Maybe Frost first game at Nebraska but I still feel Nebraska can score some wherefrrom 34-40 points tomorrow..

Ok I don't know how Tanner Lee got the benefit of the doubt from a random buff fan, but it is in fact near amazing....

I really really don't want to bag on him, but the dude was a turnover machine before Riley picked him up, he was a turnover machine at Nebraska, he was a turnover machine at the combine, he was a turnover machine at Jaguars practice....and you're saying he's better than A Martinez???

If I had to pick I'd go with a guy I didn't know anything about over Tanner. No offense to Tanner. I just don't like the chances of a known turnover commodity.

Frost is a good bet. As good as you could get last year in fact. Kelly was good, Jimbo was good as well, but Frost had the only undefeated team last year in division 1.

Wow, good one. How original. Know more about what? Are you seriously telling actual Husker fans that you know more NU football than they do? Nothing like a know-it-all dipshit. Take a hike.
Don't get your overalls in a bunch.

Wow, good one. How original. Know more about what? Are you seriously telling actual Husker fans that you know more NU football than they do? Nothing like a know-it-all dipshit. Take a hike.

Scavenger is known amongst buff-a-hole fans as the idiot extraordinaire, a proclaimed king of the dipshits, and there are a LOT of dipshits in the folds of cu fandom.

I just want us to effing stomp them. Many people including myself consider black friday the end of the dynasty and the end of our aura of invisibility. It was meant to be this is the first game of a new era.

Actually, the the thrashing we gave you in 2001 was the start of your aura of invisibility, not the end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT