ADVERTISEMENT

Can NU slow down the Buffs offense?

starhusker

Walk On
Dec 2, 2004
Can NU stop the Buffs high octane offense? Alot of playmakers on offense. Here is a video of the Colorado State vs Colorado game last weekend -

Colorado State was possibly the worst looking defense I've seen in the last 3 years. Colorado isn't going to run the ball anywhere nearly as easily as what they did against CSU when they come to Lincoln. CSU was comical they were so bad on defense.

I have no idea what will happen. Last year's defense was historically awful. I know we have new coaches. Better coaches. And an infusion of new young talent. But I remain nervous and will stay that way until I see them play better in reality and not in preseason press clippings hype.

It begins in the trenches. If we can stop the run with consistency it can set up obvious passing downs that will give us a chance to pressure the QB. Last year we were consistently giving the other guys big gains on first down. Way, way too many second and two situations. First down yardage will be key

Colorado State was possibly the worst looking defense I've seen in the last 3 years. Colorado isn't going to run the ball anywhere nearly as easily as what they did against CSU when they come to Lincoln. CSU was comical they were so bad on defense.
Hawaii was running it up on Navy last I saw in that game. That run & shoot can get you.

Truth is probably somewhere in the middle, CSU is bad on defense and Hawaii can score a lot of points.

Just like our defense the last four games we played?

Reactions: bshirt73
I have no idea what will happen. Last year's defense was historically awful. I know we have new coaches. Better coaches. And an infusion of new young talent. But I remain nervous and will stay that way until I see them play better in reality and not in preseason press clippings hype.

It begins in the trenches. If we can stop the run with consistency it can set up obvious passing downs that will give us a chance to pressure the QB. Last year we were consistently giving the other guys big gains on first down. Way, way too many second and two situations. First down yardage will be key

100% agree......run the ball, stop the run, win the game.

FINALLY we have a HC who fully understands that "and" is going full-tilt boogie to leave the wimpy fluff-ball results of Clownahan & Smiling Mike. This year is going to be GREAT again......solid steps for the return of NU dominance.

Love it!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

I see where you are gun shy, but using the fact that we were consistently giving up big plays on 1st down last year will not factor into this year at all.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I see where you are gun shy, but using the fact that we were consistently giving up big plays on 1st down last year will not factor into this year at all.
I tend to agree Tuco. I am cautiously optimistic, despite my nervousness. Last year, for whatever reason, Diaco had our corners playing very soft coverage on the edge. That gave most teams an easy first down pass out in the flat that often went for seven or more yards. I doubt we play that kind of soft coverage. For better or for worse, Chinander is willing to risk giving up the big play in order to play more aggressively. I am also hopeful that our corners and safeties will be more physical this year.

We have to tighten up our corner play. It was atrocious last year. The last thing we want is to let CU get comfortable getting 7-10 yards at a pop on quick slants or the quick flip to the wide outs. We may give up a few bigger plays, but my hope is that we get to at least double digit ints this year. (Plus, we need to get some fumbles. Last year there was one team in all of college football that had fewer fumble recoveries than we did.)

I know NU’s defense was bad last year, but I just don’t see a ton of points for CU. I think the bigger question mark is whether or not Martinez can consistently move the ball to get us points, and limit his turnovers. I would feel much more confident if he had gotten that Akron game in, but the stats below should make most Husker fans feel a little better for the game.

For Montez’s career against P5 teams, he is 4-8 overall, and 2-5 on the road.

His averages against all P5 teams (starts or extensive playing time) is 19-31 for 245 yards (60%), 2 TD to 1 INT, 12 rushes for 39 yards and 0.3 TD. CU averaged 27 points in these games.

His averages on the road against P5 teams is 17-31 for 215 yards (56%), 1 TD to 1 INT, 13 rushes for 50 yards and 0.3 TD. CU averaged 23 points in these games.

For Coach Mac, for his career at CU against P5 teams, his offenses average 25 points overall, and 22 on the road. His defenses averaged 34 points overall, and 37 on the road. He has a record of 5-19 on the road against P5 teams.

CU can put up points no doubt. I believe it is a bit of smoke and mirrors however. Over the last 2 years they average
overall 29.4 ppg
vs unranked 35.5 ppg
vs ranked 10.7 ppg

They give up:
overall 23.72 ppg
vs unranked 20.35 ppg
vs ranked 30.8 ppg

I know we are not "ranked" but I believe we should be better than many of the PAC12 bottom dweller teams that CU feasts upon.

We really have nothing to go off of from Nebraska. I took what Frost did at UCF the last 2 years:
Overall 38.26 ppg
vs unranked 38.20 ppg
vs ranked 38.33 ppg
So over the last 2 years, 38 ppg is pretty accurate of an average. No matter who they play.

They give up:
Overall 24.15 ppg
vs unranked 20.68 ppg
vs ranked 45.16 ppg
The D is where things get iffy. Ranked vs un-ranked is a marked difference. Maybe not for Colorado but down the road in BIG10 play.

Notice both teams have given up almost the exact same points to un-ranked opponents. Points scored vs un-ranked opponents gives us only a slight edge.
I think the deciding factor is going to be that we are home. I think it is going to be a close high scoring game. 38-35. Nebraska.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Just like our defense the last four games we played?

You mean other than the fact that the last 4 teams we played last year would beat Colorado State worse than us? Colorado backs and receivers weren't being touched en route to the end zone, and the holes were gaping holes. It was as if Colorado wasn't going up against a defense at all.

We have to tighten up our corner play. It was atrocious last year. The last thing we want is to let CU get comfortable getting 7-10 yards at a pop on quick slants or the quick flip to the wide outs. We may give up a few bigger plays, but my hope is that we get to at least double digit ints this year. (Plus, we need to get some fumbles. Last year there was one team in all of college football that had fewer fumble recoveries than we did.)

Beaver ball!!

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
I know NU’s defense was bad last year, but I just don’t see a ton of points for CU. I think the bigger question mark is whether or not Martinez can consistently move the ball to get us points, and limit his turnovers. I would feel much more confident if he had gotten that Akron game in, but the stats below should make most Husker fans feel a little better for the game.

For Montez’s career against P5 teams, he is 4-8 overall, and 2-5 on the road.

His averages against all P5 teams (starts or extensive playing time) is 19-31 for 245 yards (60%), 2 TD to 1 INT, 12 rushes for 39 yards and 0.3 TD. CU averaged 27 points in these games.

His averages on the road against P5 teams is 17-31 for 215 yards (56%), 1 TD to 1 INT, 13 rushes for 50 yards and 0.3 TD. CU averaged 23 points in these games.

For Coach Mac, for his career at CU against P5 teams, his offenses average 25 points overall, and 22 on the road. His defenses averaged 34 points overall, and 37 on the road. He has a record of 5-19 on the road against P5 teams.

Yes sir, the cancelled Akron game stings badly. We really, really needed that experience. Nevertheless, SF & staff will have us ready as possible for the CU game I bet. I most respectfully disagree that AM is our biggest possible liability. I'd rate our OLine #1 at that (hope to be fully in error).

Thanks for the CU stats.....it helps! :Cool:

GBR!!

I think the worst I've seen in the last 3 years was our own last year!

Reactions: cecilB
Sorry, I can’t shake the image of our defense over the same time period- especially last year.

I'm pretty sure almost all of the fumbles we recovered were against Illinois..

in watching CU vs CSU I was think more about CSU's poor play than CU's prowess. I am not saying I think we are in for a cakewalk, just don't think we are up against a truly formidable foe...

I just want us to effing stomp them. Many people including myself consider black friday the end of the dynasty and the end of our aura of invisibility. It was meant to be this is the first game of a new era.

Stop? Probably not. Slow it down? Yes

Nebraska will not let Montez sit back there and throw. He will be pressured and will be sacked.
This is going to be tricky because their game plan is for quick passes or situations where Montez can scramble/run. In other words they don’t want to give you time to rush him or contain him. Having said that the teams who I saw that were successful last year against CU, DID get to him. That’s it. He will start making mistakes if hurried or pressured. They HAVE to get to him early and often without giving up the big plays.

This is going to be tricky because their game plan is for quick passes or situations where Montez can scramble/run. In other words they don’t want to give you time to rush him or contain him. Having said that the teams who I saw that were successful last year against CU, DID get to him. That’s it. He will start making mistakes if hurried or pressured. They HAVE to get to him early and often without giving up the big plays.
If their game plan is to beat us with Montez on the move, I’ll take those chances. 338 yards on 120plus attempts last year.

If anybody needs any motivation, I’m listening to 850 KOA in Denver and the condescending, arrogant, demeaning b.s. is in full press mode. Their quoting Ol’ coach Mac’s (the righteous one) apparent recent comments making fun of Nebraska and T.O. Making fun of the people, State of Nebraska, and Lincoln itself, and why anybody in their right mind would go to NU. If I could strap on a helmet and play, I would play possessed. Karma’s a bitch.

If I could strap on a helmet and play, I would play possessed. Karma’s a bitch.

I have been thinking this all week this week. This fall marks 20 years since I last played football back in high school. There was so much hype and then let down last week, compounded by the fact that this week is against CU and their @$$ hat fans, I’m ready to strap up and play!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT