ADVERTISEMENT

Callahan a Head Coach again..

Callahan took Gruden’s Raiders to the super bowl and then drove them right back into the ground. If the Redskins thought they were bad under Gruden..they’re in for a real treat because they’re going to reach a low that they aren’t ready for.

Reactions: bshirt73
Callahan was a better coach than Bo and Mike Riley.

Yeah riiiiiight.......Bo never even came close to having a losing season for his 7 years as our HC while Clownahan racked up two losing seasons in his four years as our HC.

But yeah, I know, I know.......go ahead with the excuses, excuses, excuses.

Best of luck to coach. I truly believe that if Callahan had replaced Cosgrove when he should have he’d still be here.
Well, he would at least been able to leave on his own terms.

Having said that, I wonder how all the Redskin players and Redskin fans feel, waking up this AM, learning that they all got waaaayyyy stupid overnight.

Cosgrove was not the only problem with Callahan during his time at Nebraska. His offenses folded in big games. He went with Sam Keller. Couldn't motivate the team. Wasn't into Nebraska at all. Would have been gone the moment he had enough success to get another opportunity in the NFL.

He was a smart dude with good offensive concepts, but was a poor in game tactician. Did not play to his team's strengths at all. 2004 was a train wreck of square peg round hole season. Team fell apart when the solid class of 2006 seniors graduated. Great recruiter, but how much of that was John Blake's shenanigans??

I do hope he does well for the redskins.

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
Jay was terrible!! Callahan was the wrong fit for us but I hope he does well again for the Redskins.
A family member of mine knew Callahan pretty well when he was at Nebraska. He would agree that he wasn't a good fit and didn't handle some things well BUT says that he is in fact a really good guy. He's a hard working guy who really doesn't like the limelight. Bill could not handle the daily anal inspection of Husker football and didn't like former players interfering in what he was trying to coach. Bad fit for NU. The biggest problem for Callahan was that he had to follow Frank and was tied to Stevie P. The next biggest problem for Callahan is that he let Steve Pederson hand pick some of his defensive assistants. He had no clue what he was getting in to when he took the Nebraska job.

Interim for the Skins. Jay Gruden fired

Well, so far Frost isn't doing much better. Callhan was a good recruiter, terrible overall HC, good Offensive Coordinator. His problem was his choice of assistants. Frost brought his whole AAC staff with him. I believe Frost to be a much better HC, but am worried about his staff selection.

A family member of mine knew Callahan pretty well when he was at Nebraska. He would agree that he wasn't a good fit and didn't handle some things well BUT says that he is in fact a really good guy. He's a hard working guy who really doesn't like the limelight. Bill could not handle the daily anal inspection of Husker football and didn't like former players interfering in what he was trying to coach. Bad fit for NU. The biggest problem for Callahan was that he had to follow Frank and was tied to Stevie P. The next biggest problem for Callahan is that he let Steve Pederson hand pick some of his defensive assistants. He had no clue what he was getting in to when he took the Nebraska job.

I that say Bill did not use very good judgement taking the Huskers job. He's always in demand to coach O line in the NFL so it wasn't about job security. I don't think you take a job just because of the money or because it was offered. I was a shipping superintendent for a very large company when I was younger and I was recruited pretty hard by a company in Honolulu. What could be better? Substantially more money and living in Hawaii. Asked around. This company had high turnover of it's labor workforce and management went months without days off. Hard to enjoy the beach when you are always working. Bottom line not all jobs are good for you.

Cosgrove was not the only problem with Callahan during his time at Nebraska. His offenses folded in big games. He went with Sam Keller. Couldn't motivate the team. Wasn't into Nebraska at all. Would have been gone the moment he had enough success to get another opportunity in the NFL.

He was a smart dude with good offensive concepts, but was a poor in game tactician. Did not play to his team's strengths at all. 2004 was a train wreck of square peg round hole season. Team fell apart when the solid class of 2006 seniors graduated. Great recruiter, but how much of that was John Blake's shenanigans??

I do hope he does well for the redskins.

What I remember about Bill is he would always be staring at a large laminated sheet of plays while the game was being played. I don't think he ever watched the action out on the field. I use to yell at the TV "Watch the game Bill! The answers are not on the sheet. Coach the team".

Well, so far Frost isn't doing much better. Callhan was a good recruiter, terrible overall HC, good Offensive Coordinator. His problem was his choice of assistants. Frost brought his whole AAC staff with him. I believe Frost to be a much better HC, but am worried about his staff selection.
Respectfully disagree. I'm actually somewhat ok with what your wrote after the "Frost isn't doing much better" statement. Callahan took over a 10 win program and burned it to the ground. Frost took over a rolling dumpster fire. If I were to compare Callahan and Frost after 18 games to get a "so far" analysis, it would be Callahan next to an arrow down and Frost next to an arrow slightly up.

Best of luck to coach. I truly believe that if Callahan had replaced Cosgrove when he should have he’d still be here.

Can't remember the year, but the time that Cosgrove took the Minnesota Vikings LB coach job, to only change his mind the next day. Emotional roller coaster 24 hours for me

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
What I remember about Bill is he would always be staring at a large laminated sheet of plays while the game was being played. I don't think he ever watched the action out on the field. I use to yell at the TV "Watch the game Bill! The answers are not on the sheet. Coach the team".
exactly... like Riley staring off in the distance

Yeah riiiiiight.......Bo never even came close to having a losing season for his 7 years as our HC while Clownahan racked up two losing seasons in his four years as our HC.

But yeah, I know, I know.......go ahead with the excuses, excuses, excuses.

Had Bo beaten Texas or Wisconsin that would have changed his tenure a lot! Also not getting the support from the NU administration didn't help him one bit. He essentially got lazy (gave up) and forced Eichorst to fire him.

Bo played in a much weaker conference and had his best teams with all of BC's guys. I'd have rather had BC for 7 years over Bo, the defensive genius who gave up 408 rushing yards to 1 player.
At what point was the Big 10 weaker than the Big 12 between 04 and 08

Callahan was all wrong for us, and the college game in general. However, he's an elite OL coach, and a good OC. Not sure he's a great HC, but I'm sure he'll be a solid interim in the short term.

Well our fan base were complete troglodytes, trolls, and retrads...Cally had our best recruiting classes in a long time, brought in some incredible talent...put our spring game on the NFL network, had proprietary software designed to help our players learn the offense. He was an incredibly hard worker, and was respectful to such an idiotic fan base. Remember we were coming off of forcing out a guy who won nearly 80% of his games, and we still thought we deserved a dynasty. Cally was also saddled with a d-bag AD, or linked you might say. Cally really appreciated the commitment of our fans, especially after the OU game at Arrowhead. He had two 8 win seasons, and then the #3 class in the nation and a #14 ranking before the wheels came off...He obviously missed on his DC but wasn't given a chance to replace him after year 4. The firing of the AD before the end of the season was also a garbage way to handle business, as if the AD was causing the team to lose games. Bringing in T.O was also a very disrespectful move, put a ton of pressure on the team. And obviously T.O didn't leave athletics in a better place. I do not think Cally was so bad after surviving Bo and Riley.

Well our fan base were complete troglodytes, trolls, and retrads...Cally had our best recruiting classes in a long time, brought in some incredible talent...put our spring game on the NFL network, had proprietary software designed to help our players learn the offense. He was an incredibly hard worker, and was respectful to such an idiotic fan base. Remember we were coming off of forcing out a guy who won nearly 80% of his games, and we still thought we deserved a dynasty. Cally was also saddled with a d-bag AD, or linked you might say. Cally really appreciated the commitment of our fans, especially after the OU game at Arrowhead. He had two 8 win seasons, and then the #3 class in the nation and a #14 ranking before the wheels came off...He obviously missed on his DC but wasn't given a chance to replace him after year 4. The firing of the AD before the end of the season was also a garbage way to handle business, as if the AD was causing the team to lose games. Bringing in T.O was also a very disrespectful move, put a ton of pressure on the team. And obviously T.O didn't leave athletics in a better place. I do not think Cally was so bad after surviving Bo and Riley.
None of that matters because he burned a lot of important bridges along the way that hadn’t even been close to repaired until Frost was hired.

Clownahan was simply a losing machine. Even in his last & fourth year he could win only two conference games. Him & Smiling Mike were two peas in a pod.

Respectfully disagree. I'm actually somewhat ok with what your wrote after the "Frost isn't doing much better" statement. Callahan took over a 10 win program and burned it to the ground. Frost took over a rolling dumpster fire. If I were to compare Callahan and Frost after 18 games to get a "so far" analysis, it would be Callahan next to an arrow down and Frost next to an arrow slightly up.

Callahan took over a program that was already burning to the ground and then went on to stock it with quite a bit of talent that 408 got to ride the coattails on.

Callahan took over a program that was already burning to the ground and then went on to stock it with quite a bit of talent that 408 got to ride the coattails on.

The typical mindless response..... Bo won 9 or 10 games every one of his 7 years as our HC. So that was a program that was burned to the ground? :rolleyes:

If so, what would you call a program that has two losing seasons in four years? Arguably the worst one being the fourth & last year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT