ADVERTISEMENT

Call me a sucker for punishment. Took Nebrasketball +18 today.

Eh - nobody with an objective opinion about Miles is going to bag on him for losing to MSU and Purdue on the road this year. It's how NU does in the rest of the conference games that will determine if he's back next season.

No return visit by Purdue this year either..

Might be a good thing but we did beat them last year at home.

Nebraska covers!

I would like for a member of the Husker Media/RSS to ask Coach Miles the following...

"Coach Miles, since it is apparent you have no ability to coach half court offense or defense, yet you show an ability to recruit lanky athletes who are good in transition, has it ever occurred to you to press the vast majority of a game and play in transition where you exhibit some ability to win basketball games?"

Reactions: HuskAir
Well at least Nebraska didn't start doing the foul thing and let them score another dozen in the last minute. Nice call Sflor
Apparently, Vegas isn't too crazy about Nebraska's half court offense yet, but I will take the points.

Easy money.

GBR
Well glad Nebraska didn't start doing the foul thing in the last 2 minutes and let the clock run out. Nice call on that game

Reactions: huskerfan66
Agree, and Vegas begging for Purdue money.

If I am a coach against Miles I would run my guys ragged in the fast break/transition defense, and demand they make Nebraska win in the half court. Still, couldn't resist a little Husker action!
congrats on the "winner".

Most previous Husker teams collapse in this game much earlier. It was an expected loss but a team showed fight. This game will help the Huskers down the stretch.

Hopefully they’ll see some really careless turnovers and a few missed hoops that could have made this game a lot closer.

Idiot. Should be banned from twitter.

He doesn't end the conclusion with an answer as to how to coach this team.

These guys would run most opposition to death in transition. Purdue did not have the athletes at guard and forward to run with this Nebraska team. Their center isn't fast, or conditioned. Miles allows those guys to post and make easy shots.

In essence, he is right!

Nebraska should go 9-10 deep and just run and gun!

He doesn't end the conclusion with an answer as to how to coach this team.

These guys would run most opposition to death in transition. Purdue did not have the athletes at guard and forward to run with this Nebraska team. Their center isn't fast, or conditioned. Miles allows those guys to post and make easy shots.

In essence, he is right!

Nebraska should go 9-10 deep and just run and gun!

They do miss their share of bunnies on drives though and that drives me nuts....I do wish they would run more.

Most previous Husker teams collapse in this game much earlier. It was an expected loss but a team showed fight. This game will help the Huskers down the stretch.

Hopefully they’ll see some really careless turnovers and a few missed hoops that could have made this game a lot closer.
The turnovers were a huge difference in the game IMO. Way too many to beat Purdue.

i thought our defense the last 30 min was outstanding. Roby battles like hell in the post and made a few outstanding plays. needed to hit some shots the beg. of 2nd half.

Miles will NEVER beat teams like Purdue playing half court basketball.

I can't remember name of the white kid/guard from Purdue, who looks great in the half, I'd like to see him run the floor with Nebraska's athletes for 20 minutes. Good luck with that.

He's plump like a cherry.

It looked like Nebraska wanted to run but Purdue just got back quickly or Nebraska would turn it over.

You can't force transition unless you press nudan.

We did it in High School. Went 9-10 deep and pressed full court. Can go 3/4 court, or even half court, to create the "chaos" needed to force a quicker game.

And I think Nebraska gets better looks in transition as well, so don't tell me Miles needs shooters to make it happen. He has great athletes between 6'0-6'9 and they can all fly around the floor.

Agreed, I would like to see us press more too. We finally have a bench to play like that too.

Opposing teams have to prepare for it, and it sucks, when long athletes are flying around at you in double teams wreaking havoc.

Syracuse 1-3-1 traps in the half. Best example of half-court press. It can be deadly when you extend the press.

I dunno, just my observation from watching Miles and his ability to recruit this kind of athlete. He's great at that. He just sucks at half court coaching.

The "kid" from Arizona is even bigger than the Purdue German
Saw Ayton play today in person - the guy is a total man-beast. Somehow Colorado managed to beat Arizona though, giving them a sweep over Arizona and ASU this week. Part of why that happened is that Tad Boyle admitted to himself that he has a few guys who can't guard a fence post man-to-man, and went zone in both games.

NU plays zero ranked teams from this point forward. @ 11-6, 2-2 in conference, and the talent on this team, no reason this team can’t make the tourney unless coaching drags it down.

NU plays zero ranked teams from this point forward. @ 11-6, 2-2 in conference, and the talent on this team, no reason this team can’t make the tourney unless coaching drags it down.
The other side of that coin is that it will take a boatload of wins to make the tournament, because there are very few RPI boosters on the schedule. I think the volume of wins needed is there to be had, however, if NU plays at a high level every night out.

Well somebody is always going to want the coach fired - that goes without saying. I was suggesting that Miles would take very little grief today if NU lost, and that seems to be the case. I was at a different game so I only saw about a minute of this one.

I watched it. Never close. Purdue owned Nebraska's half court defense, missed a lot of shots. Haas had whatever he wanted, I saw a little double team on him from time to time, but not a lot of zone?

Purdue has 2 nice Bigs and they play really sound basketball around those guys. Well coached. They win by 25 if they hit their open shots today.

The other side of that coin is that it will take a boatload of wins to make the tournament, because there are very few RPI boosters on the schedule. I think the volume of wins needed is there to be had, however, if NU plays at a high level every night out.

The key is avoiding the bad losses. They have some shots to beat Michigan and Maryland at home. Although John Beilein has historically coached circles around Tim Miles.

But more importantly they need to avoid the "resume killers." Nebraska doesn't have any of those right now.

If they can protect the home court and avoid losses at Illinois, Iowa, and Rutgers, I think they will easily get into the tourney.

Reactions: schuele
If they can protect the home court and avoid losses at Illinois, Iowa, and Rutgers, I think they will easily get into the tourney.
Agree. But for Nebraska, I consider that a boatload of wins.

There is no “easily” for Nebraska when it comes to the tournament. The B1G is very top heavy and then drops off significantly. It will be tough to get quality wins from here on out and they let Kansas get away from them. Creighton wasn’t necessarily a win that got away from them but was possible.

The one thing I can see is this team has more mental toughness than teams in the past. Combined with greater talent, this team could rattle off 5-6 wins in a row which would be helpful.

Sadly...NU might end up with a decent season and not get in...there might only be 4 teams from the Big Ten that make it.
MSU
Purdue
Michigan (Probably)
that leaves 1-2 spots since the conference sucks so bad this year.

The key is avoiding the bad losses. They have some shots to beat Michigan and Maryland at home. Although John Beilein has historically coached circles around Tim Miles.

But more importantly they need to avoid the "resume killers." Nebraska doesn't have any of those right now.

UCF and St Johns maybe end up being resume killers and not beating KU hurts big time. Where are those quality wins going to be found on our record at this point? Probably need to finish in the top of the B1G at least and protect the home court. 21 might not get us in this year with the conference and our historical perception.

Sadly...NU might end up with a decent season and not get in...there might only be 4 teams from the Big Ten that make it.
MSU
Purdue
Michigan (Probably)
that leaves 1-2 spots since the conference sucks so bad this year.

Michigan is going to finish the season with 24 or 25 wins. There is no probably about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT