ADVERTISEMENT

Bryson Williams

Better player based on your first hand opinion?

In my opinion based on watching as many game videos as I can find, Mapieu has a higher ceiling. He is more athletic now and will eventually be bigger and still be faster.

Just my opinion.

Yes, based on my first hand opinion. This will sound terrible, and I'm not trying to attack a high school kid, but I'm pretty sure Nebraska is gonna regret the Mapieu scholarship, regardless of what Williams does.

Also, just my opinion, but I've been required to see plenty of both of them.

OWH poll is about 55-45

55 being ok with not offering and 45 believing he should have been offered.

45% to me is considerable.
I wouldn't necessarily take that to mean much. You could take some random obscure player from Nebraska who plays at the D2 level and ask whether we should offer, and there would be people who think we should offer him. To some people, as long as somebody resides in Nebraska and has even the slightest bit of talent, then they should get an offer. I wouldn't doubt that there are people who would be OK with an entire team full of Nebraska kids.

So basically Frank Solich recruiting? Just offer everyone who is closest and roll with it?
Frank Solich had three top ten classes while he was here...two of them after the turn of the century. One could only wish that 50% of the time we ended up in the top 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
Frank Solich had three top ten classes while he was here...two of them after the turn of the century. One could only wish that nearly 50% of the time we ended up in the top 10.

He couldn't keep it going, once the mystique was gone. It was gone. Just like the buzz.

He couldn't keep it going, once the mystique was gone. It was gone. Just like the buzz.
That's a completely different argument. His last two years were bad. (The last one, however, is really on Pedey because everyone knew...including other coaches...that Frank was a lame duck.) The point is that his "500 mile radius style," as you like to call it, produced three top ten classes.

That's a completely different argument. His last two years were bad. (The last one, however, is really on Pedey because everyone knew...including other coaches...that Frank was a lame duck.) The point is that his "500 mile radius style," as you like to call it, produced three top ten classes.

Well I can with pretty good certainty say that not taking Mr. Williams is not what is keeping us out of Top 10 contention.

One might argue the demographics are different now than they were 20 years ago. We could probably land all of the elite recruits in NE, Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, and S Dakota and not end up in the Top 10 today (even sprinkling in some Texas kids like Daniels or Avery). And this year is an unusually strong haul for Missouri.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
OWH poll is about 55-45

55 being ok with not offering and 45 believing he should have been offered.

45% to me is considerable.
Did the poll ask who thought we should offer or who was butthurt we didnt offer?
Butthurt is a strong word. Again I say, you and others are trying to find outrage where there is none. Im sure someone out there is, but they are the exception not the norm.
I could be totally wrong, just that i havent personally seen it and if all you are going by is that poll than neither have you.
I agree that peopl should not be butthurt, but the door swings both ways.

So basically Frank Solich recruiting? Just offer everyone who is closest and roll with it?

I get taking a local kid if he's the best option or the only option at a late date, but not if he's one of the lesser options among many in July, but simply because you can chalk up a win for the off-season OWH 500 mile radius feel good story.
I dunno how you took "dont offer the kicker" and found a way to make it seem like he wants to take every local kid while being able to slam frank, one of the best recruiters NU has ever seen.
For the record i dont agree with it either, but you are taking this way out of proportion (and methinks you dont know husker history too well either.)

Did the poll ask who thought we should offer or who was butthurt we didnt offer?
Butthurt is a strong word. Again I say, you and others are trying to find outrage where there is none. Im sure someone out there is, but they are the exception not the norm.
I could be totally wrong, just that i havent personally seen it and if all you are going by is that poll than neither have you.
I agree that peopl should not be butthurt, but the door swings both ways.

The fake outrage is the people pissed off that Williams wasn't offered. There are freaking polls on newspaper websites asking if it was the right decision. There was at least 3 hours dedicated to it on local talk radio. That isn't me making up outrage. None of those things are happening for other recruits going elsewhere without a Nebraska offer.

The fake outrage is the people pissed off that Williams wasn't offered. There are freaking polls on newspaper websites asking if it was the right decision. There was at least 3 hours dedicated to it on local talk radio. That isn't me making up outrage. None of those things are happening for other recruits going elsewhere without a Nebraska offer.
Sounds like you are the one who is outraged.
So the media decides to talk about a local kid going to wisky. I would think that would be normal. Its not like people are calling for Rileys head or something. I think you are overreacting here, but theres no reason to beat a dead horse. We disagree....you must just be more sensative than me.

I get taking a local kid if he's the best option or the only option at a late date, but not if he's one of the lesser options among many in July, but simply because you can chalk up a win for the off-season OWH 500 mile radius feel good story.

No not basically Frank recruiting. From the last two staffs and most media and recruiting experts they talk about the 500 mile radius as needing to be more of a focus. I have kind of contended that there really isn't enough talent in that area to field a top contender, so I get it. But when you have a kid in Lincoln, who is offered, by teams like Iowa, Va Tech and Wisky, plus he could be a kid who can enroll in January, it isn't a big reach.

May be I am wrong but is sure seemed like there was a lot of pissing and moaning when Ott and Phillips signed with Iowa and Stanford.

No not basically Frank recruiting. From the last two staffs and most media and recruiting experts they talk about the 500 mile radius as needing to be more of a focus. I have kind of contended that there really isn't enough talent in that area to field a top contender, so I get it. But when you have a kid in Lincoln, who is offered, by teams like Iowa, Va Tech and Wisky, plus he could be a kid who can enroll in January, it isn't a big reach.

May be I am wrong but is sure seemed like there was a lot of pissing and moaning when Ott and Phillips signed with Iowa and Stanford.

Sure, but is Wisconsin settling for this guy because they don't have a shot with someone else? Or is he truly the best available for them?

The fact that the Wisconsin will take him, is only one piece of the puzzle. Ok, he's a D1 quality player. Is he what we want? Quite frankly, no one would be happy *here* with the annual recruiting ranking Wisconsin pulls in. I wouldn't be upset if we had offered. But if he's number 6 on the board, and one of those 5 in front of him (or more) seem pretty likely to commit, seems a bit of a jerkish thing for Parella to do to keep him on the line waiting for an offer that will never come, or bump him to the front of the line over better prospects (by our evaluation).

Last edited:

Personally I think the poll is bogus enough to begin with because most of the people clicking on it probably won't know who else is being offered. All you have to do is walk into a donut store in this town and say the staff passed on a Nebraska kid and it's sure to push buttons.

It should probably be well defined what "focus on the 500 mile radius" means. From what little Coaches have spoken directly about it, they will scour the state hard looking for talent and the surrounding areas. They will offer when appropriate.

I don't think anyone in the football administration meant "we're going to take this kid because he's D1 caliber, just so Wisconsin can't have him, even though we'd like four other players at his position and already turned away one of them who wanted to commit for another in-state guy". That'd be dumb.

Edit: Focus doesn't mean "quota system" or "home grown affirmative action" to me, but it appears it does to many.

Edit 2: 6 of our 10 committed players are from the radius (if you count Moore as a TX kid). Including all three of our three lowest rated recruits.

Last edited:
Reactions: jackie_moon33
Think for a minute about what is happening here. The board has been crying for a hot shot big name coordinator to be brought in, so NU ponies up for Diaco, the defensive staff (mainly Diaco and Parella) decide this kid is too much of a tweener for Diaco's liking, and the NU fans scream about Diaco shooting for the better players because they are out of state.

And the kicker is, this kid doesn't even seem to care about NU.

Reactions: Crushinator
I think we're assuming the kid had interest in Nebraska and that may not be the case.

I think this issue just points to the dangers of not being able to sign a 25-man class every year. I believe this was debated weeks ago in another tread, by NU may want to take a close look at their redshirting strategy. Is that working out for us? Perhaps we need to turnover the roster faster so that we're able to sign bigger class and thus take more Nebraska kids (who may not be rated as highly as our other targets).

Sour grapes coming out

https://www.landof10.com/wisconsin/wisconsin-dl-commit-bryson-williams-natural-leader-field

"They offered that Masry kid that they even agreed I was better than. They just offered him way before my name kind if got out. It is what it is." -Bryson Williams

I don't think there's anyway the staff would talk down Masry to another prospect (particularly the Riley sit down he says he had), and it might be a downright fabrication because the staff had seen Williams at camps before so its not like he was an unknown quantity. They had also turned away Avery for Masry by that point as well. There's no way we'd take Williams over Avery.

Last edited:
I think we're assuming the kid had interest in Nebraska and that may not be the case.

I think this issue just points to the dangers of not being able to sign a 25-man class every year. I believe this was debated weeks ago in another tread, by NU may want to take a close look at their redshirting strategy. Is that working out for us? Perhaps we need to turnover the roster faster so that we're able to sign bigger class and thus take more Nebraska kids (who may not be rated as highly as our other targets).

That article also says

"Unlike many players who attend school in the shadows of the Cornhuskers’ footprint, Williams said he didn’t dream of playing at Nebraska. "

Yes, based on my first hand opinion. This will sound terrible, and I'm not trying to attack a high school kid, but I'm pretty sure Nebraska is gonna regret the Mapieu scholarship, regardless of what Williams does.

Also, just my opinion, but I've been required to see plenty of both of them.

Ok, so what caused you to form that opinion?

Keep in mind if we have space (or need to make space) this guy is on the hook still at DT. Also a radius kid.

Are you really quoting a non-scientific poll on a newspaper website as evidence?

More the fact that there was a poll. To my knowledge this is the first poll on the OWH asking for opinion on if a player should have been offered a scholarship.

Again I believe most fans are more fearful that Williams may be productive at Wisconsin than they are pissed Nebraska didn't offer.

? I'm okay with the Lincoln player going to Wisconsin...if...we don't have to try the "Chris Walker Maneuver" in the shadow of signing day.

Nebraska doesn't have the leverage to make a last second offer to Williams. He doesn't have the heart strings tugging on him to come back to play for the home town team.

Reactions: jflores
More the fact that there was a poll. To my knowledge this is the first poll on the OWH asking for opinion on if a player should have been offered a scholarship.

Again I believe most fans are more fearful that Williams may be productive at Wisconsin than they are pissed Nebraska didn't offer.

Yes the battered Wisconsin syndrome is in full effect here.

Oddly enough, Riley has played Wisconsin way better than Iowa and certainly way better than Pelini did.

? I'm okay with the Lincoln player going to Wisconsin...if...we don't have to try the "Chris Walker Maneuver" in the shadow of signing day.

They should've had him walk on. Used that scholarship for a senior walk-on, and then had it available this year.

I think the numbers game needs to be brought into play here. We just dont have spots, and one DL is a Nebraskan.
Ott, Phillips, and Bazata were different scenerios although i remember one of them was also a low class season, but not this low. I feel like this is a historically low year. When was the last time we signed less than 20 recruits?
I do hope the staff keeps talking to him and invites him for some visits in the fall, unofficial or official....im sure they will try if nothing else to keep him in the loop in case we do need a late addition and decide to offer.
I trust the staff on this one.

Yes the battered Wisconsin syndrome is in full effect here.

Oddly enough, Riley has played Wisconsin way better than Iowa and certainly way better than Pelini did.
That's what's stupid about this. There are people that probably had never heard of Bryson Williams before who were just upset that we had somebody going to Wisconsin. They probably wouldn't have cared had he gone to Kansas State or Virginia Tech.

No guarantee he would have even committed had he had an offer. Parella and staff evaluated both Mapieu and Williams and decided to go hard after Mapieu and not extend an offer to Williams. i wonder if Wisconsin evaluated Mapieu and decided not to offer - I assume if they looked at Williams they also gave Mapieu a look as well. Time will tell who was right.

Clearly Parella thought much more of Mapieu if an offer wasn't even extended to Williams. Got to trust the coaches. Again time will tell

Last edited:
And would have cared even less had he had a Nebraska offer and just flat turned it down.
That's really stupid. Having an in-state player spurn us for Wisconsin would be something to be concerned about. Going there without an offer is not, unless he becomes a big star, which is far from certain.

In an egocentric world, easy to predict that some NU fans will see every Nebraska high schooler as the next All American. In actuality, only a small number go on to be really good. It's hindsight and only looking at the extreme successes.

My opinion is the staff is doing a pretty dang good job at recruiting. My only pet peeve, is the last minute offers to local players. Call it an "improvement opportunity", but last minute offers reek of incompetency.

In an egocentric world, easy to predict that some NU fans will see every Nebraska high schooler as the next All American. In actuality, only a small number go on to be really good. It's hindsight and only looking at the extreme successes.

My opinion is the staff is doing a pretty dang good job at recruiting. My only pet peeve, is the last minute offers to local players. Call it an "improvement opportunity", but last minute offers reek of incompetency.

Which last minute instate offers are you speaking about? The only ones I can think of are Bradley, who was being held off on due to academic issues and the Norfolk kid. Even if you include Bradley, it's only one a year so far. Unless I'm missing some.

Which last minute instate offers are you speaking about? The only ones I can think of are Bradley, who was being held off on due to academic issues and the Norfolk kid. Even if you include Bradley, it's only one a year so far. Unless I'm missing some.

You can quibble about what constitutes a late offer ... But I suspect he is referring to the poaching of recruits holding offers from Wyoming and the Dakotas after we exhausted the recruits with power 5 offers on the board.

Bryson should be congratulated on receiving a scholarship to the University of Wisconsin. That is a tremendous accomplishment for anyone to earn an athletic scholarship to any Big 10 school. I hope his entire family savors this moment for a lifetime.

With that being said...from all reports, Nebraska was upfront and honest with him about the number of scholarships for the 2018 class and other reasons why they chose not to offer a scholarship to him. Don't poke the bear before leaving town for Madison or it might not be much fun playing Nebraska in the future.Winking

bear.jpg

Reactions: huskerfan1414
That's really stupid. Having an in-state player spurn us for Wisconsin would be something to be concerned about. Going there without an offer is not, unless he becomes a big star, which is far from certain.
Everyone talks about Riley being a good evaluator of qbs...and others follow his lead. I would say we should look to Wisconsin when it comes to linemen. Over the last 10 years they have produced some pretty stout line play. (Just on the "o-side" they have sent ten linemen to the NFL in ten years. They have had three different coaches but Alvarez has been the constant. If Wisky is in on someone, we should take notice.

Reactions: ridge22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT