ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz visits Nebraska

1. They are not rivals
2. These guys pretty much all look out for each other. It is one big "good ole boy network"
Yup they are all one huge network now days, Woody Hayes days are long gone. They just regurgitate each other. You would be an idiot to hate other coaches or teams now days if you're a coach. Good chance that team or guy is who you might be working for next week.

• Love
Reactions: amahawk and BTF69
Yup they are all one huge network now days, Woody Hayes days are long gone. They just regurgitate each other. You would be an idiot to hate other coaches or teams now days if you're a coach. Good chance that team or guy is who you might be working for next week.
Yep! The hard part is getting in but once you are in, you are in.

You can go 0-24 in two seasons and the other coaches will still talk about what a great job you are doing and how they really really respect what is going on...next day when you are canned you end up on a new staff.

Iowa fan here, but you couldn't be more wrong. That more than anything infuriated us. When he wasn't kept on the shelf and had to actually face reporters he constantly showed his arrogance as his putrid offense sank all the way to the bottom in all of football. After 2022 he'd have been fired from literally ever job where his boss wasn't his dad. In the off season he actually said "We’re going to do the same things we do and we’re going to do them better,”. Nothing says ego quite like admitting no fault in your last place offense and there's no reason to change anything you do.

His one year as a positional coach in New England he inherited Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski. Gronk did just fine without Brian's tutelage for many years after he left. Guessing Hernandez would have been fine if he didn't flip his lid. Before that he was basically an intern there under his dad's buddy Bellichik, and after that he worked under his dad. He even had at one point two former OCs under him at Iowa as assistants and still couldn't assemble a functional offense.

Back to the ego thing, his coaching career was born rounding third and tripping over the bag on his way to the plate, but he feels he hit a home run. If you want him, you can have him.
All points I’d expect from an embittered biased fan.

Consider, objectively, for a moment:

Your offensive roster contains last place talent, he rarely put your defense/special teams in bad spots, he shortened the game and your fanbase/media are assholes

Perhaps his formula was quite literally the only one that could’ve possibly produced all those wins and B1G west titles you and your ilk never stop crowing about

Time will tell

Outside of his incredibly punchable face, the main issue is that he wouldn't stay in that role long and would feed intel back to the grand wizard of the Iowa klan when his recon mission is complete.
Well, I don't think he should, or will, get that analyst role. But I would think he'd rather prove himself and resurrect his coaching career rather than help the place that just fired his ass.

Reactions: thall__
Well, I don't think he should, or will, get that analyst role. But I would think he'd rather prove himself and resurrect his coaching career rather than help the place that just fired his ass.
If his dad wasn't the Iowa coach, I would agree with you.

This is great message board fodder for early March. It ain't happening. But I'll say this for the guy--

When looking someone for an analyst role, we won't be able to find or hire someone who, first of all, knows Big 10 defenses and their tendencies better, (2) understands how to block Big 10 defensive fronts, and (C) can step in and help instruct our offensive linemen and tight ends. I'm sure Satt wants someone who can help coach TE's so that he can devote more attention to coordinating duties.

Everyone deserves a second chance. He's actually a pretty good coach. He's a victim of the Peter Principle.

I have seen no evidence of #1 or #2.

Reactions: scarletred
Maybe Matthew Rhule just wanted to bring Brian in for a bit of a chin-wag to get his perspective on how in the world he could have lost a home game where he had a top rated defense, a top rated rushing offense, blocked 2 Iowa FG attempts and was playing against one of the worst offenses in college football history.

Or how despite having a top 3 conference rated defense and rushing offense he was only able to win 3 conf games when every other coach in big ten history was able to win at least 5 with that combo

Or how he was grossly out-coached by Deion Sanders

Or how he was able to hand select his guy at QB who turned out to be magnitudes worse than even the stiffs Ferentz had at Iowa in recent years

Might just want an outsiders perspective on the historic failures of Matt Rhule’s 1st season

Animated GIF

All points I’d expect from an embittered biased fan.

Consider, objectively, for a moment:

Your offensive roster contains last place talent, he rarely put your defense/special teams in bad spots, he shortened the game and your fanbase/media are assholes

Perhaps his formula was quite literally the only one that could’ve possibly produced all those wins and B1G west titles you and your ilk never stop crowing about

Time will tell
Lol, wut?

That last place talent is his own doing. He was in charge of that side of the ball for 6 years. He continued playing and starting a literal turnover machine that constantly ran 3 and outs that AlWAYS put the defense in bad spots. The time of possession in the 3 shutout losses to the only 3 good teams on the schedule were so lopsided they could throw the earths axis out of tilt.

Who do you talk to that is crowing about division titles? The only people that talk admirably about winning the barely-arguably weakest P5 division that is 0-eternity in the conference championship game are the 2 percent of fans that thought Brian Ferentz still deserves more chances. If I'm embittered so be it. Believe me I'd love to see him go to a border rival so Phil Parkers defense that covered his ass for 6 years and was held back from being a contender can tee off on any offense Brian Ferentz is a part of.

Reactions: king_kong_
Maybe Matthew Rhule just wanted to bring Brian in for a bit of a chin-wag to get his perspective on how in the world he could have lost a home game where he had a top rated defense, a top rated rushing offense, blocked 2 Iowa FG attempts and was playing against one of the worst offenses in college football history.

Or how despite having a top 3 conference rated defense and rushing offense he was only able to win 3 conf games when every other coach in big ten history was able to win at least 5 with that combo

Or how he was grossly out-coached by Deion Sanders

Or how he was able to hand select his guy at QB who turned out to be magnitudes worse than even the stiffs Ferentz had at Iowa in recent years

Might just want an outsiders perspective on the historic failures of Matt Rhule’s 1st season
All of this unfortunate truth is a big reason why my wins prediction for 2024 will remain at 6.

Agreed. He should post more and send the village idiot back home.
Bring Brian Ferentz on and give me a reason to post here :)

I don't generally go to other teams boards but I was curious if there was any rumor circulating here surrounding him. The crossovers that do that looking to stir the pot are primarily jackasses. Not sure how it works here, but we get Nebraska, Michigan, and Penn State morons pretty regularly. On the flip side we actually have some Rutgers posters for some reason or another that are pretty welcome in our threads.

Reactions: Streamer15
Bring Brian Ferentz on and give me a reason to post here :)

I don't generally go to other teams boards but I was curious if there was any rumor circulating here surrounding him. The crossovers that do that looking to stir the pot are primarily jackasses. Not sure how it works here, but we get Nebraska, Michigan, and Penn State morons pretty regularly. On the flip side we actually have some Rutgers posters for some reason or another that are pretty welcome in our threads.
Nebraska fans post on your board?

That’s very disappointing.

Nebraska fans post on your board?

That’s very disappointing.
Several post over there ... one of the "wulf"s who post here is accepted on both boards as a "fan". Another one (I think nu2u) posts on both sites and is accepted by both fan bases as a loyal hawkeye/husker. There's a few others who follow that same pattern. I've even seen at least one moniker that posts on several boards across different conferences that has convinced every one of those boards he is a die-hard fan.
The internet is where [weird] has an abundance of influence/power.

I have seen no evidence of #1 or #2.
We will just have to disagree then. Every good offensive line coach understands defensive schemes and how to block them. And this guy spent years in the Big 10. And Iowa has put a lot of linemen and tight ends into the NFL and those guys play right away so you know that they are ready to go coming out of school. Case in point, La Porta last year and Linderbaum the year before. The guy has something to offer in talent development and scheming for the running game and pass pro. Keep in mind I was speculating his value as an offensive analyst, an extra assistant coach. Not as an offensive coordinator or play caller.

Imagine how pissed off Iowa fans would be if he came here and turned our TEs and OL into first round picks. That would be the icing on the cake.
Let's get serious. If this guy was solely responsible for making kids into great NFL level players, Iowa never would have let him go. Sometimes people don't think things through.

Let's get serious. If this guy was solely responsible for making kids into great NFL level players, Iowa never would have let him go. Sometimes people don't think things through.

And he would already have another job as an OC or OL/TE coach. The whole world knew he was gonna be fired over a month before the season was over. If he was really thought of that highly within the coaching community someone would’ve snatched him up already.

Furthermore, this is just a completely unnecessary move. We don’t need him in any way whatsoever, this would simply be Matt Rhule doing the Ferentz family a solid favor that would never be reciprocated by Kirk.

And he would already have another job as an OC or OL/TE coach. The whole world knew he was gonna be fired over a month before the season was over. If he was really thought of that highly within the coaching community someone would’ve snatched him up already.

Furthermore, this is just a completely unnecessary move. We don’t need him in any way whatsoever, this would simply be Matt Rhule doing the Ferentz family a solid favor that would never be reciprocated by Kirk.
Eh, I don't know about that. The coaching community is a tight-nit group and sometimes good deeds lead to some down the road as these guys rotate positions. Brian shouldn't probably be an OC, but to say he isn't needed whatsoever when he has a good track record with some positions groups is a little off base in my opinion. If he is an analyst and can help with TE's and OL. Fantastic. We've got some good talent coming in, and the more development the better. I can't stand the dude, but he does have a decent coaching record and I doubt he is out to sabotage Nebraska. Like a lot of people, not a lot of people liked Scott Frost where as people seem to like Rhule and his approach. I'd kick the tires on this too if I was Rhule.

Eh, I don't know about that. The coaching community is a tight-nit group and sometimes good deeds lead to some down the road as these guys rotate positions. Brian shouldn't probably be an OC, but to say he isn't needed whatsoever when he has a good track record with some positions groups is a little off base in my opinion. If he is an analyst and can help with TE's and OL. Fantastic. We've got some good talent coming in, and the more development the better. I can't stand the dude, but he does have a decent coaching record and I doubt he is out to sabotage Nebraska. Like a lot of people, not a lot of people liked Scott Frost where as people seem to like Rhule and his approach. I'd kick the tires on this too if I was Rhule.

IMO, I think you’re conflating/confusing the coaching community’s propensity to not say anything negative about one of their own with how they actually feel about him. The fact that nobody has hired him when they knew he was going to be available long before most other candidates speaks volumes. Actions speak louder than words, and the fact the coaching community won’t say anything negative about him doesn’t mean they think highly of his coaching acumen/abilities. If I’m a betting man, I’d say we never see Brian Ferentz in a P5 coordinator position again. And if we do I do not expect anyone to be impressed with the results. We shall see I guess…

IMO, I think you’re conflating/confusing the coaching community’s propensity to not say anything negative about one of their own with how they actually feel about him. The fact that nobody has hired him when they knew he was going to be available long before most other candidates speaks volumes. Actions speak louder than words, and the fact the coaching community won’t say anything negative about him doesn’t mean they think highly of his coaching acumen/abilities. If I’m a betting man, I’d say we never see Brian Ferentz in a P5 coordinator position again. And if we do I do not expect anyone to be impressed with the results. We shall see I guess…
I'm not confusing anything and didn't make any statement about him being a coordinator. You said him coming on in any capacity is an unnecessary move, but still have not told us why? We aren't talking about him being a coordinator, so why would a guy who has proved he can develop players not be welcomed as an analyst? That literally makes no sense. I guess I just don't get your argument or maybe I am missing something.

Bill Belichick. Pete Carroll, Mike Vrabel, Dana Holgerson

Just a few other jobless stiffs the coaching community apparently has no use for

I'm not confusing anything and didn't make any statement about him being a coordinator. You said him coming on in any capacity is an unnecessary move, but still have not told us why? We aren't talking about him being a coordinator, so why would a guy who has proved he can develop players not be welcomed as an analyst? That literally makes no sense. I guess I just don't get your argument or maybe I am missing something.

Iowa had good TEs and OL before Brian was part of the staff. I don’t credit him with their success as you do. Once again, if he was highly thought of in the coaching community he would have another job already instead of going around hoping to get an analyst job.

Iowa had good TEs and OL before Brian was part of the staff. I don’t credit him with their success as you do. Once again, if he was highly thought of in the coaching community he would have another job already instead of going around hoping to get an analyst job.
Agree however I do think he's got some TE knowledge. I'm not sure we have a spot but he could be useful if Rhule makes him an analyst.

Reactions: V-Doub
He seemed to be good at coaching Tight ends, but that’s about it. I don’t know what we could learn from him that would be useful.

Bill belichek and Rhule are friends. Didn't ferentz coach at new England

He seemed to be good at coaching Tight ends, but that’s about it. I don’t know what we could learn from him that would be useful.
Gronkowski credits much of his blocking development to Brian Ferentz, who coached Patriots tight ends in 2010 and ’11 and now is the offensive line coach at Iowa. “He taught me it’s always about keeping your feet running and keeping your hands inside,” Gronkowski says. “Like when you’re pushing a car. What are you going to do? You’re not going to push like a one-legged duck paddles. You’re going to run your feet, just like you’re running.”

Gronkowski credits much of his blocking development to Brian Ferentz, who coached Patriots tight ends in 2010 and ’11 and now is the offensive line coach at Iowa. “He taught me it’s always about keeping your feet running and keeping your hands inside,” Gronkowski says. “Like when you’re pushing a car. What are you going to do? You’re not going to push like a one-legged duck paddles. You’re going to run your feet, just like you’re running.”
Wow. BF is a genius.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT