ADVERTISEMENT

Brace or no brace? Discuss

Has anyone seen Northwestern's mess of a field with their real turf? It's a nightmare to play on. It's got a terrible drainage system and the field often ends up a muddy mess.
That kinda sounds like football to me.

Yeah I really enjoy watching people wallow around in a rain soaked quagmire. Especially enjoy watching players slip and tear big chunks of turf when trying to make a cut. The statistical evidence is actually pretty weak from a statistical relevance standpoint . Yeah if you’re one of the guys who tears his ACL it looks really relevant but by those articles ACL tears are actually fairly rare regardless of the surface.

I’m playing a bit of devil’s advocate here because I love a manicured lush grass field. I love the smell of it and the look of grass stains on a uniform. That said it’s damned tough to keep a decent field when the calendar turns November in Nebraska. I never played on artificial turf but the reaction I’ve read from NFL players is pretty mixed on turf versus grass.
a poll was taken last year

90% of NFL players loudly prefer grass

"pretty mixed"

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Having played/coached, grass is far safer.
The statistics don’t support “far” safer. Again, it’s a spectator sport. The dollars football players are getting are based on spectators and TV revenue. Turf helps football sell its product. If the players are afraid of injury they don’t have to take the money or scholarships.

Reactions: BleedRed78
The statistics don’t support “far” safer. Again, it’s a spectator sport. The dollars football players are getting are based on spectators and TV revenue. Turf helps football sell its product. If the players are afraid of injury they don’t have to take the money or scholarships.
And if players truly cared they would be purposely selecting teams with natural grass fields. I doubt that happens.

Kind of like the whole games played issue in pro sports. "Sure, we can play less games and have less wear and tear on your body, but you have to take a pay cut". "17 games seems fine to us".

Funny you ignore literal evidence that more injuries are caused on turf but stand by your anecdotal view that turf somehow leads to more spectators? This is just wrong. Are people not watching green bay?
Anecdotaly speaking i prefer watching football on grass.

Funny you ignore literal evidence that more injuries are caused on turf but stand by your anecdotal view that turf somehow leads to more spectators? This is just wrong. Are people not watching green bay?
Anecdotaly speaking i prefer watching football on grass.
I mean I get what he's saying. The air raid revolution changed football, and fans have largely come to expect the whole "basketball on turf" aspect of the modern game. What makes that better as a product is turf, not grass that withers away into muck well before seasons end.

At some point, players have to determine if safety vs job security is their priority in life. Most have seemed to bow to the Benjamin's and accept their money of a high grossing revenue generating sport.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Show me. The last I read it was 50-50.

Things change

Of the 16 teams that play on artificial surfaces, 13 led the league in injuries

Learning doesn’t stop when you get a stupid piece of paper 50 years ago

Reactions: huskerfan1414

Things change

So Beckham played in one of the worst turf stadiums in the NFL and then went and signed with one of the other 15 teams that play on artifical turf? Sounds like it isn't that big of deal to him.

Anything is better than the old Veterans Stadium crap in Philly. It was basically carpet on top of concrete with seams and sink holes everywhere. Terrible that they used to make teams play on that garbage.
It’s pretty astonishing these owners will pay guys 10s of millions of dollars and then opt to not protect their investment because it’s too expensive

Like buying a thoroughbred & feeding it ramen noodles

Reactions: HBK4life
Anything is better than the old Veterans Stadium crap in Philly. It was basically carpet on top of concrete with seams and sink holes everywhere. Terrible that they used to make teams play on that garbage.
I have a friend that played on Astroturf back in the day. He says it did more damage to his body than anything else ever could. Field turf has saved countless kids bodies.

I, for one, prefer a mud pit.
stephanie mcmahon wrestling GIF by WWE

Things change

3 players who want to play on grass say 90% of the players want to play on grass. That’s hardly a scientific poll. The question for me is why do you have to insult people in 90% of your posts.

Again. They don’t have to play the game. They’re cashing HUGE checks. The article you linked earlier gave a roughly 1 in 5000 chance of tearing your ACL per encounter (or some similar vague term). I don’t know if that’s per game or what. That said with grass you still have about a 1 in 7000 chance of an ACL tear on grass. MCL sprains are a little more common on turf bit your earlier articles said that ankles etc were statistically the same.

It’s pretty astonishing these owners will pay guys 10s of millions of dollars and then opt to not protect their investment because it’s too expensive

Like buying a thoroughbred & feeding it ramen noodles
It isn’t just because it’s more expensive. Do you recall the NFL game cancelled in Mexico because of poor turf conditions after a rain event. Wasn’t it the super Bowl this year that had the horrible natural turf that had huge chunks of it tearing up and players falling down? Bitch all you want. You’re not going to change it.

rip up that POS field turf and replace it with a natural surface, Coach!!

more and more statistics are showing external injury prevention starts (and basically ends) there
Something’s gotta give. Players love that extra traction but they don’t realize the trade off. Better traction = more stress on the joints.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT