ADVERTISEMENT

Brace or no brace? Discuss

Truthfully, I am not knowledgeable about the subject so I don't care one way or the other. This is one of those things you have to trust in the people whose job it is to know the pros/cons and to weight the risks accordingly. If this makes it easier for the OT to actually block edge rushers without letting them get to the QB in seemingly half a second, then cool.

I hated wearing a knee brace after an ACL tear. It put abnormal pressure on my knee and ankles. I’m not sure there’s convincing scientific evidence to support their use.
'tis a good point dingle. Teddy had an ACL tear with it.

I am not an expert but seems reasonable to ask what the statistics are with and without use.

I think smarter people than myself who are qualified to make those decisions have made them. I don't know what other schools do, but I hope it helps.

I'm not an Orthopedic Surgeon, but maybe it should be a case-by-case basis. If you're not 100%, which almost anyone that has played football will agree that you're never 100%, especially 4-5 games into a season. If you need it wear it. If you don't, then don't wear it. There's a risk and reward to wearing them that they should understand though. Just like most running backs don't wear mobility restricting pads, and if you're a QB and thrown with regular pads it's almost impossible to make half the throws you can without pads.

Last edited:
Reactions: huntered
I hated wearing a knee brace after an ACL tear. It put abnormal pressure on my knee and ankles. I’m not sure there’s convincing scientific evidence to support their use.
Had an ACL repaired in 95 and continued to play sports. I wore a fiberglass that weighed 5-7 lbs. I repeated pulled that hammie for the next two years and then just tossed the thing. No issues with hammies after that.

I got blasted for saying this same thing a couple years ago. They're awful for mobility and put strain elsewhere on the body.

there is a correlation between concussions and acl injuries. I guess it affects fine motor movements to where the brain can't communicate fast enough to the muscles, allowing a little extra movement, leading to ligament tears.

Reactions: Laner2
there is a correlation between concussions and acl injuries. I guess it affects fine motor movements to where the brain can't communicate fast enough to the muscles, allowing a little extra movement, leading to ligament tears.
As a coach I have to take concussion protocol training yearly, and the science is becoming more clear of a relationship between concussions, brain plaque and a host of other things.

rip up that POS field turf and replace it with a natural surface, Coach!!

more and more statistics are showing external injury prevention starts (and basically ends) there
the one person who laughed at this post claims to be a "scientist at heart".

here's some science, @dinglefritz. I'm sure you'll disagree because of Big Grass's evil agenda, or something.

“Players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass.”

Reactions: huntered
This guy did just fine with them.
main-qimg-a74c8b6129288c0efaf9c07771d97ac4-pjlq

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Sometimes you've got to do what you can to see action. When I was in HS, I played Rugby. I played with an ankle brace for an entire season after rolling it.

the one person who laughed at this post claims to be a "scientist at heart".

here's some science, @dinglefritz. I'm sure you'll disagree because of Big Grass's evil agenda, or something.

“Players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass.”
I’m sure that’s a peer reviewed article. Unfortunately you fail to mention which artificial surfaces were included in your statistics. As a “scientist” I would have to see exactly which brands and composition of surfaces were involved, how old they were etc and who commissioned the study and what potential bias they might have. The problem with natural surfaces obviously is what happens to them due to weather and a long season. At some point you probably have to accept that natural surfaces in most NFL cities are not a viable option. But, you do you.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I’m sure that’s a peer reviewed article. Unfortunately you fail to mention which artificial surfaces were included in your statistics. As a “scientist” I would have to see exactly which brands and composition of surfaces were involved, how old they were etc and who commissioned the study and what potential bias they might have. The problem with natural surfaces obviously is what happens to them due to weather and a long season. At some point you probably have to accept that natural surfaces in most NFL cities are not a viable option. But, you do you.
They’ll be plenty viable when the World Cup comes to town & grass is demanded

The extraordinarily obvious physics of natural (give) vs turf (less or no give) is the driver of injuries while saving a buck is the driver of field turf

If Green Bay can play on grass, everybody can. Grass surfaces are replaced regularly during a season (duh), so wear and tear is a non issue (duh).

Laugh out loud hilarious you’d think there was bias toward natural grass in any study when nfl owners bury report after report in order to save money

Kids at NU are now employees and we should invest as much in them on the field as we do off it. I can’t imagine being such a stuck up dumbshit that I ironically dig my heels in on this subject. You’re flat wrong.

Is your inherited land blanketed in field turf or something?

Last edited:
National library of medicine:

There are countless studies. All show the same thing and have for years

“Scientist” lmao. More like blowhard academic.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414

The extraordinarily obvious physics of natural (give) vs turf (less or no give) is the driver of injuries while saving a buck is the driver of field turf

If Green Bay can play on grass, everybody can. Grass surfaces are replaced regularly during a season (duh), so wear and tear is a non issue (duh).

Laugh out loud hilarious you’d think there was bias toward natural grass in any study when nfl owners bury report after report in order to save money

Kids at NU are now employees and we should invest as much in them on the field as we do off it. I can’t imagine being such a stuck up dumbshit that I ironically dig my heels in on this subject. You’re flat wrong.

When you play a sport you assume risk. Football is a spectator sport. For fans turf produces a MUCH better more consistent product.

National library of medicine:

There are countless studies. All show the same thing and have for years

“Scientist” lmao. More like blowhard academic.
And injuries were less in practice. Lets just quit playing the games so players don't get hurt as much. Better yet we could go to all natural grass and flood the field to make it a muddy mess. THAT would also lessen the number of concussions because it would slow the athletes down so much. I'll bet you like Frost's touch football spring game too.

We should also go to grass playing surfaces for basketball. God knows we would have way fewer knee injuries. You can't have athletes being able to execute quick cuts. They might get hurt.

When you play a sport you assume risk. Football is a spectator sport. For fans turf produces a MUCH better more consistent product.
Has anyone seen Northwestern's mess of a field with their real turf? It's a nightmare to play on. It's got a terrible drainage system and the field often ends up a muddy mess.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Has anyone seen Northwestern's mess of a field with their real turf? It's a nightmare to play on. It's got a terrible drainage system and the field often ends up a muddy mess.
The number of ACL injuries for college football players in 2014 according to the second article was 1.7/10,000 "exposures". So for every season you played in a game your risk was less 1/5000 for an ACL injury as far as I can tell from their summary. There was virtually no difference in other knee and ankle injuries. Then factor in that you still can tear your ACL on natural turf. Yeah. I think we should tear up artificial turf in every stadium in the country and replace it with something that leaves in doubt if you can play the games from week to week. I can understand why soccer players prefer natural grass given that their ball is on the ground constantly and a soccer ball behaves WAY differently on turf versus grass. Football? Not so much. Changing the type of cleats players can wear on turf probably could do as much to limit ACL injuries as changing to natural grass.

'tis a good point dingle. Teddy had an ACL tear with it.

I am not an expert but seems reasonable to ask what the statistics are with and without use.
trying to use external bracing to stabilize an athlete's knee is questionable at best. You're applying the brace over skin and muscle which obviously move. I think the biomechanical justification of knee braces is questionable at best. JMO after having worn one and trying to play basketball in it.

I’m not surprised the self-anointed “scientist” is using anecdotal evidence to defend his stance while at the same time carrying water for ownership/administration

Typical

God forbid we invest in the health & safety of our athletes

I’m not surprised the self-anointed “scientist” is using anecdotal evidence to defend his stance while at the same time carrying water for ownership/administration

Typical

God forbid we invest in the health & safety of our athletes
IF you're really concerned about their health and safety you should be advocating for a ban on football. Why stop with turf? There is zero doubt that we would have fewer ACL injuries if we made them play in mud pit. That would be fun right? NOBODY is holding a gun to college or NFL players making them play.

IF you're really concerned about their health and safety you should be advocating for a ban on football. Why stop with turf? There is zero doubt that we would have fewer ACL injuries if we made them play in mud pit. That would be fun right? NOBODY is holding a gun to college or NFL players making them play.
By all means continue pointing to the extreme exceptions (mud pit) instead of acknowledging the rule (grass >>> turf)

How very scientific

Ffs, the invincible ignorance fallacy is absolutely off the charts with you.

A+

• Haha
Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
Maybe for some folks but i think grass football is a far superior product.
Yeah I really enjoy watching people wallow around in a rain soaked quagmire. Especially enjoy watching players slip and tear big chunks of turf when trying to make a cut. The statistical evidence is actually pretty weak from a statistical relevance standpoint . Yeah if you’re one of the guys who tears his ACL it looks really relevant but by those articles ACL tears are actually fairly rare regardless of the surface.

I’m playing a bit of devil’s advocate here because I love a manicured lush grass field. I love the smell of it and the look of grass stains on a uniform. That said it’s damned tough to keep a decent field when the calendar turns November in Nebraska. I never played on artificial turf but the reaction I’ve read from NFL players is pretty mixed on turf versus grass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT